Can a faulty ram shutdown a laptop/pc?

Discussion in 'Laptops & Notebooks' started by Deleted member 268800, Aug 4, 2021.

1. I borrowed an old acer aspire one d257 from a client, and I cleaned the ram with some alcohol and with a eraser, but I noticed if I press gently the power buton, the light goes blue, but the monitor doesn't display any image, but if I pres the power button like for 2-3 seconds, I can feel like the laptop vibrate or something, like the fan goes on, and now there is image in the screen, but suddenly the laptop shutdown whiting seconds.

I tested the laptop without the back-cover and when pressing gentle the power button it lights up but the fan nope, but if hold 2-3 second while pressing the power button it does light +fan goes on.

But it shutdowns like a (switch sound) like tick, and off.

I touch the fan and it was quite hot... but sometimes i managed to boot to windows and use hardware info and the temps were 60-67... I tried to get into bios just to check if there is an intel security option to force off pc when temps up to 80, but there is not such an option.

So at this point, was thinking of , if a faulty ram can shutdown the pc even in the middle of boot? without any bsod ,just at the bios post?

Thanks, still not improve my english at all, sorry
    :D ^^,

2. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    If things were some simple.
    I am not a wizard, but I had my share if laptop repairs for some years. I I dealt with the repairs nobody wanted to touch.
    What you described could be many things linked together. Or separate, but related.

Establish a starting point, where the laptop starts with a supposedly good RAM stick. Just that, do not add anything else. And disconnect the hard drive and optical drive if it has one. And disconnect the keyboard also.

First and foremost, the sensor are not the Gospel. More, even the temperature is reported, the temperature sensor within the CPU die could be out of scale or incorrectly report whatever.
    Simple solution to eliminate this factor, is cleaning the fan, heatsink and repaste. But before anything, clean everything with care.

Now, if the problem persists, one should look at the power button. It's the most abused thing on a laptop, second are keyboard and hinges.

One can jumpstart a board , bypassing the power button, thus eliminating another possible point of failure.

From this point onwards, things should be more clear.

Deleted member 268800 likes this.
  3. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Bad memory usually cause BSODs.

Deleted member 268800 likes this.
  4. Things with the laptop that I'm always a bit scared of how to remove properly the keyboard, I managed to detach the keyboard without removing from the socket, then just unscrew the door sockets to be able to remove the backplate of the laptop then, yes i was able to remove either the ram or hard drive, but to remove the fan from that AOD257 acer aspire one, is quite tedious, because i need also to detach fully the keyboard and then remove from the all the screws just to be able to remove the whole motherboard from the laptop itself gosh u.u. Also seems like this AOD257 tablets use a combination of thermal pads + thermal paste, right?

and what you say about the power button abuse? yes that make sense , because when pressing gentle it lights up but the fan doesn't but if hold a bit strong it eventually post to bios and etc,etc.

So is there a way to fix a power button?

Also thing is i'm lacking of resources, don't have thermal paste or thermal pads

5. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    I know I'm not helping a bit but these netbooks are Intel Atom based ones, old and slow like a snail. Is it worth to waste any of your time on these?

Have at least two of these Atom based netbooks, one Samsung, the other is iirc Asus eePC, maybe even have one HP too... 12, 13 years old I guess... and no one wants them.

6. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Sorry to hear that from you. If you don't have the resources needed, better not start the whole repair process, because there is a big probability to damage something else.

Also, as @CrazY_Milojko said, that notebook is slow by design. More than 4 GB of RAM is very difficult, if not impossible.
    Even though you manage to repair it, without an SSD it will be slow and a chore to use.
    Windows?
    Don't even think about it. The best luck and something usable I achieved by installing Q4OS, a very lightweight Debian distro.
    So that's that.
    Again, sorry, but I am giving you the truth. Supposedly, this is what everyone wants, right?

CrazY_Milojko likes this.
  7. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    @anticupidon
    Think 4GB RAM is max both for Intel Atom 2xx and 4xx gen CPUs. But doesn't matter 2, 3 or 4 GB of RAM if they would be running HDD: you'll feel like time has slowed down running Windows on these with HDD. SSD would make a difference but there is a question if it's worth to put an SSD into these old Atom notebooks, even a small 120GB one.

Some 5, 6 years ago I've gave one of these to my mom, running Win8.1 32bit, 3GB RAM, 160GB HDD... so that she could use it just to Skype us with it when she and dad travel around. Few days later she returned that one: "...it's slow...". When 60+ year old tell you it's slow then believe me it is.

anticupidon likes this.
  8. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    I know first hand, I've dealt with a whole classroom of Acer Ones once. But throughout my tech job I've dealt with those notebook since the beginning.
    I was asked, begged to make something, even cast a spell. No joke, they were at wits end
    The only thing was to buy a lot of cheap SSDs and install Q4OS with Trinity desktop.
    One could browse the internet, open mail and write documents. That's was what they wanted.
    Was better that Windows, no doubt. Was it faster? Depending on how you measure slow or fast.

CrazY_Milojko likes this.