Lock Pages In Memory

Discussion in 'Game Tweaks and Modifications' started by Smirk_24, Aug 4, 2021.

1. Smirk_24

Smirk_24 Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1050ti
    Lock pages in memory is a modification that can be made using windows 2003 resource toolkit or by using group policy. After enabling this modification I have noticed my computer is a bit more snappy and watching the cache in task manager I can copy a folder of 2gb to the desktop from a seperate storage device and I noticed my cache climb pretty high.

My question is lockpages in memory is an sql server tweak but I was wondering about a gaming tweak that would go hand in hand with the lockpages in memory tweak? Does anyone have any ideas?

(Preferably a gaming tweak that avoids windows registry but I'm open for ideas)

2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Smirk_24 and Noisiv like this.
  3. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    I tried the tweak and PUBG just stops booting.
    Super weird.

4. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Using SuperFetch over locking pages in memory might be your best bet, still useless for gaming tbh.
    Heck, even allocating enough ramdisk to contain a whole game doesn't really add a huge benefit over using a newer SATA SSD.

Smirk_24 and Noisiv like this.

5. Smirk_24

Smirk_24 Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1050ti
    I ran into the same problem and the fix that worked for me is to reinstall.
    Example: If i have firefox and i enable the tweak and firefox doesnt boot try uninstalling firefox while the tweak is still enabled. you might be able to do an in place reinstall to the program also.

6. Smirk_24

Smirk_24 Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1050ti
    I think lock pages in memory worked better for Operating systems like windows xp. i enabled lockpagesinmemory on xp that was installed on a virtual box and restarting the virtual box restarted and got to the desktop almost instantly.

And i figured out that the large address aware flag is mainly for 32/86 programs to make them aware of ram in the 64bit range.

Superfetch has been known to cause problems for me in the past so i disable it and also prefetch but thank you for your advice

7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    thats not how lock pages works lmao.

8. Smirk_24

Smirk_24 Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1050ti
    Isn't the point of a forum to help people? Ancient guru or not your not helping when you're being a dick. Instead of typing "thats not how lock pages works lmao." why don't you explain what lock pages does Instead?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
    Ormy and Deleted member 282649 like this.
  9. Smirk_24

Smirk_24 Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1050ti
  10. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    @Smirk_24

All of that is relevant for a server scale rigs and Operating Systems.
    When rig has hundreds of GBs of RAM forbidding the swapping of pages to page file has low risks of out of memory situation.

PS
    And if your rig has amount of RAM sufficient for your usual load then the gain of locking pages in memory is miniscule. If your rig has not sufficient amount of RAM then double it - that will give big gain.

PPS
    My rig has 32GB of RAM, and page file always stays at 2GB.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
    Smirk_24 likes this.

11. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Everything is tuned in SMSS itself to avoid it from paging to begin with, at least with modern Windows Server and SQL Server editions.

Smirk_24 likes this.