The Ascent

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Pale Horseman, Jul 29, 2021.

1. Party Poison

Party Poison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4090
    Thank you!

the vulkan one works for me but huge stutters upon encountering new things, its like playing Cemu lol

Its a shame because the game is incredible, great combat and the environments are stunning.

EDIT

It works perfectly! thank you so much! smooth as butter now, No dlss but its super smooth.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
    PhazDelta likes this.
  2. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    Consoles play smoother this game.

3. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060S
    ..tecnhically nope! You compare different things now.

4. Party Poison

GPU:
    Rtx 4090
    Anyone know what the command would be to remove film grain and CA?

5. Isometric cyberpunk game with nice visuals... of course I couldn't resist. So, I tried it and I like it. There are some things I'd change, but overall it's not bad.

I'd definitely improve main character animations. For example, they use the same animation when he/she is running on flat surface and the same animation for running up/down the stairs. That's weird omission. They could have added 2 anims and blend between them according to floor angle. Pretty simple really.

Another thing to improve is the usual... streaming. I mean, they have an isometric game with game-controlled camera. It can't be easier than this to control asset streaming. I know that UE's streaming of its streaming parts and packages is terrible and activating them is always a source of CPU spikes, but there are ways how to eliminate them, especially in games like this one.

----

PostProcessing @ Medium
    and if you want to disable film grain only or CA only, go to the game's save folder and add this to Engine.ini:

FilmGrain Off:
    Code:
    [SystemSettings]
    r.Tonemapper.Quality=3
    CA Off:
    Code:
    [SystemSettings]
    r.SceneColorFringeQuality=0

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2021
    Party Poison and LanSer like this.
  6. PhazDelta

PhazDelta Master Guru

GPU:
    RX6900XT Strix LC
    if you want add Fps game cap go to

C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\TheAscent\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor\Engine.ini

add this line

[/Script/Engine.RendererSettings]
    t.MaxFPS=60

LanSer likes this.
  7. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060S
    Game provides an ingame option for fps cap, isn't the same thing? I use RTSS, I didn't bother to see if ingame cap works though.

8. TR2N

TR2N Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD
    Loving this.
    The real cyberpunk game.

9. MaXThReAT

MaXThReAT Master Guru

GPU:
    2070-SOC 2Ghz
    For real. I cant tell if I should buy this or not. Seems like a Shitstorm. I am so sick of this.

TR2N likes this.
  10. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    It needs patch. Consoles play it without drops and hitches.

11. PhazDelta

PhazDelta Master Guru

GPU:
    RX6900XT Strix LC
    even console there is Hitches

12. Party Poison

GPU:
    Rtx 4090

Its a shame the game has issues

Gamepass version is nerfed
    Dx12 buggy as hell
    Co op can erase your safe
    Co op does not save progress if hosting

Its such a shame because it really is a great game underneath, a stunning world and the combat is so satisfying.

If it can be fixed it really feels like a classic twin stick shooter.

MaXThReAT likes this.
  13. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I really like this game and have played over 9 hours so far. I'm finding it surprisingly addictive with gorgeous visuals and a lovely Blade Runner-esque sound track but there are issues.

For one, the quests are all of the "go there, do this and then return" variety which isn't bad in itself but the map is so large that there is a lot of walking. As as I can tell there is no option to run faster. There are stations and taxis you can use to make the too-ing and fro-ing less tedious but they only take to specific locations and you can still have several minutes of walking through various backstreets before you get where you have to go. It all looks very pretty so it isn't quite as tedious as some other games but since side-quests reuse the same maps then I do find myself retreading the same areas over and over and over again. It does start to get wearing.

The second issue is that the game has bugs with some enemies not showing the damage bar which basically means they're invincible. Not a big issue if they're the ones you encounter on the way to a mission objective since you can run past them and they stop following after a certain point. However, there are scripted encounters against mini-bosses that you have to kill in order to complete the mission and if enemies bug out here then you will have no choice but to restart. At least the game saves regular checkpoints but it is easy to get lost and lose where you were supposed to be if this happens. This bug has happened to me about 5 or 6 times now and really needs to be fixed.

As for performance, the game runs fine on my aged system (i7-4770K, 16 GB, GTX 1080 Ti) at 60+ fps at maxed out 2560x1440 settings in DX11 mode but does seem to stutter regularly despite being installed to an SSD. These seem to be streaming (or save-related?) stutters that occur as you travel around but the game can suffer big drops in performance during combat if a big explosion happens. It's about 97% smooth though. DX12 mode on the other hand is prone to a lot more stuttering and framerate hitches during combat but since I cannot use the ray-tracing features on my GTX 1080 Ti without the game tanking to 8 fps then there is no reason for me to use it anyway.

Despite the issues this is a very good game for the price in my opinion. If the developers continue to support and patch it then this could be a bit of flawed gem in my opinion. Professional reviews have now been very positive, most giving it a just-above average rating due to the repetition. Personally I'd give it 7 or 7.5 as it feels remarkably polished in spite of the bugs, plays well for a twin-stick shooter (I use an Xbox Elite v2 controller) and looks and sounds amazing for a game from a very small developer.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
    MaXThReAT likes this.
  14. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    Not as much stutter/lag as PC though. PC only advantage it has is faster loading, unlocked fps and RT/DLSS. Irrelevant.

15. Party Poison

GPU:
    Rtx 4090

I mean those are pretty big things, and with the DXVK pretty much all my stutter is gone.

Are xbox paying you a commission to keep mentioning it?

Console thread is just a few scrolls away.

16. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    Do not be hurt because there is competition with mere consoles. Also you cannot edit anything to Microsoft Store version. Most gamers play this game through Game Pass Ultimate, I own it in though, bought it once, so, I can play it both at PC and console forever through play anywhere.

DXVK does not apply to my rig. Sorry. I do not expect myself to buy it on Steam to feel Nvidia perks like 90% of RTX users did.

17. Party Poison

GPU:
    Rtx 4090

Im not, I own them all.

I played the game on a press version, dx12 was buggy. The gamepass version is still locked to that buggy dx12.

Now, weather I play the game on gamepass or just delete it matters not, the devs got their money from MS.

So I moved my save file over from the gamepass version to a nice dx11 cracked version. I don't want RTX features, i just want the game to not stutter very 2 steps.

MaXThReAT likes this.
  18. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    Seems like a gem that is worth waiting for a couple of patches. Or does the DXVK really fix all the issues? Can get steam version for £20 on GMG.

I dare not try the MS version, the only time I used it, it was in Outer Worlds and I had to download that game 3 times until it actually worked. That app couldn't even deal with continue of download and it bugged out on the existing files, which the app couldn't remove by itself and it was PITA to fix it manually.

19. MaXThReAT

MaXThReAT Master Guru

GPU:
    2070-SOC 2Ghz
    Yup, thanks. I'm not ganna touch this. I'm so sick of these companies thinking they can put crap like this out and patch it later.
    Do yourselves a favor,.. do us all a favor and save your money.

20. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    This is the state of the gaming industry. Buying a game on lauch is a huge gamble, that rarely pays of.
    You are just paying extra to be a beta tester.
    For most games it's better to wait a few months, to buy the game with a few patches and a discount.

PhazDelta likes this.