Some US states tightening power consumption requirements for high-end gaming PCs

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 28, 2021.

1. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    my cousin is named Alexa...boy does she hate Amazon

Alessio1989 and Airbud like this.
  2. Airbud

Airbud Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5600XT
    hahaha!...yea, I would imagine having the name Alexa nowadays is kind of rough!

PS: I would love to see a Redwood or Sequoia tree before I'm gone.

DannyD likes this.
  3. Whiplashwang

Whiplashwang Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 PNY
    These regulations are passed by the same politicians who have multi-million dollar mansions, with the carbon footprint of 10 homes, and fly on private jets everywhere. Truth is they don't care about the environment. They only want to preserve their lavish lifestyle at the expense of their consistence. The first people that really need to "pay their fair share" are the scumbags that exempt themselves from the laws they pass.

Valken, CrazY_Milojko, itpro and 4 others like this.
  4. Airbud

Airbud Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5600XT
    Bam!....you knocked it out the park with that one Buddy!...nothing political though...:p

Valken, DannyD, CrazY_Milojko and 2 others like this.

5. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    Seems to be a half-assed way to deal with the overloaded underfunded power infrastructure in the united states.

Reminds me of how in california,they use rolling blackouts to prevent forest fires(rather than fix the problem)

itpro, MegaFalloutFan and Neo Cyrus like this.
  6. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    Dont vote for the democrats.
    I hope this will make enough people mad to move right, but honestly most gamers build from parts so they wont care

NO, its has to be the OTHER way, if you have more kids youll get more discounts and benefits.
    You see, i do support what you said, 1000% behind it actually BUT this kind of law can only work in a NORMAL country, meaning we at the west will have one kid per family [we already have something similar on average anyway]
    BUT all the 3rd worlders and especially muslims will keep having 4 to 8 kids.
    This kind of law will let them take over without firing a bullet.
    Its a suicide for people of European descent.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
    itpro likes this.
  7. DownwithEA

DownwithEA Active Member

GPU:
    1060 6GB
    Did no one wonder why only Dell was mentioned here? From what I understand this has more to do about power consumption while in idle not active mode (fully admit I could be wrong or missed something). This bill didn't just pop into existence either. All companies were informed of this years ago and Dell decided not to do anything about it. Which isn't a huge shocker giving how poorly designed the alienware line is. Take a look at the thermal throttles on that bad boy. Think it was a 20% performance increase by leaving the case open and doing nothing else. I don't know why we immediately have to jump to the most extreme example for every case and then die on that hill. It's just way to stressful to live that way :)

As I said yesterday... Oh boy. As if we needed one more thing for people to blow way out of proportion.

8. Camaxide

Camaxide Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Ti Gaming X SLI
    Knowing what energy wasting the average anerican car is, this makes absolutely no sense..? Not that it would make any sense otherwise..

9. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    Those news are blown out of the proportion .... It does not affect everyday users custom pcs .... What the law is about is to not let your computer on and idle with out going to sleep. It does not really restrict what kind of card you can use if anything is a lot less strict to the high end systems . Long story short this is about a) power supply efficiency to meet the guide lines witch is good no more prebuilds with garbage PSUs !!! And then the settings they come out of the store they require them to have your pc go to sleep if you go afk for a bit . The end user can change that anytime and they have no power or way to check everyones settings. There are a few more things into it but the main gist of it is what i said . So while it is barely registering on the carbon footprint there are energy shavings to be made still .

tunejunky likes this.
  10. Reardan

Reardan Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 3080
    You mean cars, which also have efficiency standards?

11. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Makes me move more left honestly.

It's both idle and active - it doesn't really state which one dell is violating though. Either way the active requirements aren't really that strict.

This thread is just filled with people that react to titles, don't read the sources and use 3 braincells to form an opinion. Just look at the number of people in here comparing this to other devices/objects as if those don't all have efficiency standards already.

12. Reardan

Reardan Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 3080
    You know, with this new pre-made PC rule I'm going to have to buy all my parts separately and build my own computer I guess. In a few weeks I get a big check, maybe I'll buy a new CPU, Video card, and motherboard.

Maybe I'll commemorate the event and call it "The Great Replacement"

What do you think? I can't wait.

13. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070 Ti Su
    :eek:

itpro and Airbud like this.
  14. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    there is no such thing as a free lunch

and i don't care about your politics except when people confuse facts with politics.

so despite being fairly apolitical i vote for democrats.
    especially in California politics because the democrats rescued the state from republican incompetence that left us blacked out and neck deep in debt and the economic laughingstock.
    who's laughing now that republicans have made their names Mudd and cannot win statewide?

back when republicans had facts on their side i voted for them.
    but when they decided as a party that facts do not matter they left me behind forever.

Valken and Denial like this.
  15. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    With your mindset just offer your rig(s) to the States. It would be the most educated decision for them.

16. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Yeah I'm not interested in being associated with massive logical leaps, fallacies and other dumb comparisons like this one.

Pretty much every device people use in this thread and in their homes are subjected to efficiency standards. CA decides to slightly tighten them based on guidance from the SIA and a bunch of people here collectively lose their crap for no reason - literally effects two computer lines that are known for being dogshit. "Hurr durr democrats stealing my rights" ignoring the fact that the executive director of the CEC, Drew Bohan, was first appointed to a government energy position by a Republican.

Also for the record I'm a registered Republican - but like @tunejunky I can't get behind the dumb positions that are increasingly becoming prevalent in the party.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
    DownwithEA likes this.
  17. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    My bill, is my debt to take care. Authorities should not dictate what one can purchase or not. Governments all over the world are killing day by day all freedoms one can live with. CovidXXXX and climate change, now now, should we die for the general wellbeing now, don't we?

Requirements for what and decided by who, for whom? WE DO NOT NEED requirements for any device. By end of the day, usage varies from user to user. All our devices have a unique imprint for this whole environmental parody. Energy class stamps where already enough.

18. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    Your facts are your own and do not reflect either majority or the truth around you. Even a lie, could be a fact for your existence.

19. Reardan

Reardan Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 3080
    wtf is this gibberish

20. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    Go back to your bubble.