Zero-RPM mode not happening

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Randy Bailey, Jul 21, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Randy Bailey

Randy Bailey Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070TI
    Before I started using afterburner with my NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070TI the card would stop its fans from spinning automatically.

Now that I have enabled a custom fan curve it never seems to drop below 30%.

Just started using Afterburner today so I am still new to the software and may have missed something. Any help would be appreciated. pic1.PNG

pic2.PNG

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
  3. Randy Bailey

Randy Bailey Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070TI
    gx-x likes this.
  4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    See the pagination at the bottom, go to page 3.

5. Randy Bailey

Randy Bailey Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070TI
    So I found this..

Which is not written in plain enough language (to me at least) that I can easily digest and understand it, additionally If you look at my screenshot of my fan profile and notice the checked box "override zero fan..." is checked... I did read the description... no idea what it really means however I understood it to imply that it will allow 0 fan speed to work below the dashed line... and my fans still were sitting at 30 UNTIL I ticked the second box available "force fan speed update on each period" .... thing is should I have had to tick that box? Did I set this all up properly, I genuinely have no idea, because like I said... the instructions dont seem very clear.

6. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    Have you tried de-selecting "override zero fan speed with hardware curve" ? If that doesn't work, try "use firmware control mode" or combinations, I mean, there aren't many options for you to choose from. If all fail, I am out of clues, sorry.

edit: can you visually confirm that the fan IS spinning when it shouldn't when it shows 30% fan speed?

7. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    I know and seen you've enabled this option, but I want to emphasize the highlighted wording:
    upload_2021-7-21_12-6-43.png

"...you may keep fan stop mode", it's not "you will keep fan stop mode"

boogieman likes this.
  8. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    I picked up a 3090 FE yesterday and it worked on my card. Thanks for the tip.

9. Randy Bailey

Randy Bailey Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070TI
    Yes I am able to visually see the card in the case and can see if the fans are spinning. I did attempt unchecking the override option but it didn't seem to make a difference. I am hesitant to use the firmware option because I'm afraid it could possibly corrupt something on the card itself.

So the way I understand that line is "if card supports.... It will happen" the 3070TI supports zero rpm mode.

10. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

The way you understand the line is wrong. Zero fan speed area on the curve combined with this option enabled ABSOLUTELY doesn’t mean that fan stop will be forced in this temperature range. Please use search and READ a bit if you’re new to application, do it a few times, were are a lot of discussions about it explaining how it us supposed to work.

11. Randy Bailey

Randy Bailey Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070TI
    I do not mean to be rude, but you tell me to read and search, and tell me I don't understand and I'm wrong but you don't explain how I'm wrong. Please educate me or point me to a thread that this was actually discussed. Because more people are going to come here with this same issue as more and more of these cards make it to peoples hands. And to top it off the search feature of this site is not the most robust... See my screenshot above to the first guy.

Aserback likes this.
  12. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

You’re one of a few millions users of free application, and not an unique one. I cannot repeat the same things to every single user misunderstanding something, sorry. Yes, application is free, but my time is not and it is not endless.

13. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    Not an expert but also found that force fan speed update on each period makes it consistent.