LG releases 3 models IPS curved ultra wide LCD monitors with aspect ratio 21: 9

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 28, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    DannyD likes this.
  2. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    I'm probably in the minority but, I'm glad LG still focuses on IPS. I'd take it over a VA panel almost every day.

cucaulay malkin and RavenMaster like this.
  3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Va panels come pretty close and yet they are much cheaper.

4. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    Yeah, that's true, I just prefer IPS.

Undying likes this.

5. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    I prefer oled then. :p

Valken and Maddness like this.
  6. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    I prefer both fused in one.
    VA black and contrast ratio and IPS's angle and colours.
    Will be possible one day?

Solfaur likes this.
  7. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Cant stand ips glow and bleed. Much worse than va.

cucaulay malkin and Agonist like this.
  8. FrenchKiss

FrenchKiss Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX 4090 XLR8
    I am gaming on IPS ultrawide, and I hate it. Black is grey, and light is bleeding eveywhere... Next monitor is VA for sure. Viewing angles are nice, yeah, but I'm 99% alone in front of my computer. Useless for me.

Agonist and Undying like this.
  9. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Blacks on va panels are almost like oled and there is barely any bleed at all atleast on mine. Ips definitely dont deserve price premium.

Agonist likes this.
  10. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    it was possible yesterday, they call it OLED /s

but seriously tho, pc land seems stuck on 1440p LCD, people are now willing to put up with a 48" tv to get an actual upgrade, this is insane, if LG bothered to make a 32" CX or C1 or whatever they call it, the "high end" monitor market would end overnight

I've recently compared VA vs IPS panels side by side, there's no winner, its either yellow whites or grey blacks, cartoonish colors or side glow

and every time I pulled up my $149 phone for the lulz, they both looked like e-ink compared to it

oh and miniLED just makes the whole thing glow up grey in random spots, even burn-in would be less annoying than that, LCD needs to die already, leave it for budget products

cucaulay malkin and anticupidon like this.

11. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    VA>IPS for gaming.
    Blacks are washed out on IPS and lower refresh rates.

Watching movies on the IPS ultrawide looked great and that's about it.

Undying likes this.
  12. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    if you can get one without smearing.
    otherwise it's the worst one for gaming by far.

the whole point of getting a high refresh monitor is motion clarity.typically va at 120hz looks worse in motion than a 60Hz ips/tn with decent response times.not to mention a +144 ips/tn cause it's night and day.
    seriously,that moving text on VA is just unreadable.And that's at 144Hz refresh !

me neither
    first ips I had was mx27aq,beautiful colors,but I sold it after three months and will never go back to ips again.
    really,how can so many people tolerate this is beyond me.

it's TN for me all day.
    sure,the colors are the worst compared to va/ips,but motion clarity is just unparalelled,there is no backlight bleed at all,and the price is the lowest by far.
    a properly calibrated TN should look fine for gaming.Not the best,not even close to VA's contrast and IPS colors,but pretty decent.I refuse to pay premiums for VA's smearing or that awful IPS glow.Get them down to TN level pricing and I'll think about it.Maybe an IPS,cause VA's in motion are just
    [​IMG]

I'll probably just hold on to my 1440p 165Hz 24" TN till I can afford an OLED.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
    NesteaZen likes this.
  13. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    i am 100% with @cucaulay malkin on that one the va i saw ... i just could not game at it ...at all i prefer to have gray and glow than smearing all day everyday ...on the other hand my brightness is at 50-60% if on a 300 monitor max it out my left eye start to tear up ... photosensitivity and stuff ...and yes summer with sun for me sunglasses are a necessity , and even in bright lit indoors area i am the douchebag with the sunglasses ... but literally just because my eye start tearing and it looks like half my face is crying :p

14. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    it looks like everytinhg has motion blur.
    and not the pretty one.an ugly,black smeared one.

I mean,if you're gonna buy a monitor for gaming,please don't get one that can barely cope with scrolling internet pages up and down.

that said,there are good VA's with very low or even no smearing.they're as rare as a unicorn,but thy're there.
    on the other hand you've got samsung hg series with 80% smear and 2x longer response times,that's so off a decent VA that I can't even imagine using it daily,let market it as gaming.
    [​IMG]

people these days will buy anything tho if you market it with fancy jargon.
    no one wants to do a research before buying.just put the right stickers on the frame and they'll pay anything.A VA panel with smearing so awful you can barely read a moving page - sure,it's got gaming in the name.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
    NesteaZen likes this.
  15. anub1s18

anub1s18 Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX2070S /WC
    got a 27" 1440p samsung C27JG50QQU (va) which i liked at first for it's darks but once you notice the blur you just cannot get rid of, it starts to spoil the experience.
    nabbed a LG GL850 on sale (ips) which yea to enjoy darks you need to slap the black equalizer waaaaaaaaaaaay down which then robs the image of a lot of detail...atleast it's got HDR10 support (at 380 max brightness so....not quite) which allows me to toggle between dark and somewhat lacking color depth or bright and vibrant (but your black's are now gray's >.>

it's kinda pick your poison (atleast at the lower priced monitor end) personally having seen the blur and grown to hate it enough to buy a similar but slightly different monitor to replace it. i can make this screen go darker...i cannot unblur the VA one >.> but getting a better VA one would make that a non issue

16. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    @cucaulay malkin this is my experience so far with VA and we talked on another post how much i "love" motion blur :p so instant no for me :p

17. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    smearing and motion blur aren't the same.

18. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    Same. I'm not a fan of black smudging thanks to VA's less than impressive motion processing capabilities

cucaulay malkin and Maddness like this.
  19. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    I dont have smearing on my VA panel.
    49 inch Samsung.

And I mostly play FPS and lots of racing games.

My productivity stuff its done on a 23inch IPS panel on my threadripper because honestly video looks better on that. Im no professional though.

20. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    which one is it ?
    ch series ?
    ch70 is one of the worst.

found cgh90 on rtings,well,I've seen worse but it's far from what other gaming monitors they have for comparison.

here it is against samsung g7 VA,night and day.
    it's more like what a typical va looks like,blurry with a black trail.black objects/text on bright backround are gonna look dreadful in motion.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

this is what pretty standard ips's look like,acer nitro one.clearer and even less ghoting than already excellent g7.

[​IMG]

for me those black trails would be a hard pass for a gaming monitor,but I don't think there are many 49" ultrawides to choose from so one just has to take it as new normal and run with it.

btw i'm in love with that acer nitro since I've seen the review.
    0.0 overshoot,it looks incredible in motion.shame you can't buy one in Poland,it's just 220usd.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021