Something died in my PC but I don't know what

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by D1stRU3T0R, Jul 18, 2021.

1. Freeman

Freeman Master Guru

GPU:
    4060 ti 8gb
  2. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Just a thought but make extra sure nothing is shorting out the motherboard in your case, like a loose screw or a misplaced standoff etc.

Also check PSU cables including power cord for damage.

chinobino and Airbud like this.
  3. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    How many of those tests could you see by yourself? Had a pc tech come over to my mother some years ago and this craphole charged 130 Euros for cleaning the computer, but he just cleaned the space where the new GPU should be seated. Everything else dusty like before. She didnt have any filters, so clearly visible.
    If RAM, PSU and board really work you could swap the cpu out and boot your system with another one, probably some small Athlon 200 or sth. like that. Probably AMD will send you one as they do for all buyers of an AM4 mobo if your board/cpu combo doesnt boot (bc of old BIOS, to do an update)?
    Worth a try, at least if you already are in contact with them.
    Have you tried running your GPU in another system? Just to ensure it is fine and you dont stumble into the next issue after solving this one?

D1stRU3T0R likes this.
  4. Freeman

Freeman Master Guru

GPU:
    4060 ti 8gb

5. D1stRU3T0R

D1stRU3T0R Master Guru

GPU:
    8 GB
    when I tested i tested outside the case, so only ram cpu ... still nada, restarting bootloop (as seen by the rgb / fans stopping and restarting

6. D1stRU3T0R

D1stRU3T0R Master Guru

GPU:
    8 GB
    They sent a picture that they tested with the same 3700X as mine, and 16 gb ram 2666MHz, running 4h stress test.... idk if it was my board and not other one, the date was pretty fresh so it looked good

7. D1stRU3T0R

D1stRU3T0R Master Guru

GPU:
    8 GB
    BIOS is F61C, always running latest bios, my guess is that it got corrupted somehow, but ffs at the RMA they said it worked for them, idk how

Plus I wouldn't blame old bios version, since it just bricked from one day to another, its kinda impossible that the bios flashed itself with a really old bios :D

8. D1stRU3T0R

D1stRU3T0R Master Guru

GPU:
    8 GB
    Did it on the mobo box, so didn't touched anything. Screws were out and in like 5 times, even tested from literally another psu outside the case an still nothing (and tested my psu in other pc and worked)

9. D1stRU3T0R

D1stRU3T0R Master Guru

GPU:
    8 GB
    Just a picture telling me that it booted for them, now I'm sending mobo cpu ram combo.
    The idea with an Athlon 200 sounds good, but now I'm sending it back to RMA so maybe after, IF they still fck themself.
    And no, with or without the GPU the motherboard acts the same, I tested with a GT 710 and still had the same results.

386SX likes this.
  10. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Ok.

Yeah good idea to send the entire combo for testing.

Something is fishy as you've verified every component and got a new CPU so the problem really should be the mobo.

D1stRU3T0R likes this.

11. D1stRU3T0R

D1stRU3T0R Master Guru

GPU:
    8 GB
    exactly my thougths, I'm sending it back again with cpu mobo ram (and forgot the nvme in xd) to check the mobo again.

fun fact, when I sent it back before in the original box, papers etc, they said they couldn't fix it because I didn't sent the shield xd so I had to send it separately

12. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    The IO shield? Wtf!

Okay you are clearly dealing with some geniuses, maybe try opening an RMA ticket directly to Gigabyte.

Airbud likes this.
  13. Airbud

Airbud Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5600XT
    sorry if OT but a good member here gave me a 2600k + Z77 mobo that would only boot outside a case?

I tried 2 different cases and no boot, time I placed it on table top it worked fine!...???
    currently using the 2600k with another mobo from another good member from here.

14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    make sure there are no standoffs behind the motherboard that don't correspond to a hole.

15. D1stRU3T0R

D1stRU3T0R Master Guru

GPU:
    8 GB
    Check if you plug the cables in, or that they aren't hanging or something. What if you place the case on the table and then place the mobo in there?

yup. I too was like "wtf, just fix the damn thing, I will send you a picture about it if you don't believe me" but I just sent it since it was free :p let them pay, hopefully they change the mobo now.

16. D1stRU3T0R

D1stRU3T0R Master Guru

GPU:
    8 GB
    So a quick update, and the last one.
    If anyone has my issue, for the fck sake, DO NOT TRUST THE CMOS RESET CUZ IT WON'T RESET THE BIOS TO DEFAULT SETTINGS.
    So my problem was that I had modified the RX 580 bios to have custom freqs/voltages/timings, and this IS BROKING UEFI so you can't boot with CSM disable.
    Solution? Get another GPU, boot, use STOCK bios (and maybe update GOP, funnily enough I just found out now that I can do that), flash it to your old GPU which doesn't boot with CSM Disabled (i needed it for ReBar) and woallah, it works.

AsiJu likes this.
  17. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    told you,reflash the board.
    helped me a couple of times when nothing else worked.
    that's why a dedicated bios reflash usb port is a must for me when buying a mobo.

Airbud and D1stRU3T0R like this.
  18. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    a bios reset clears the cmos of all fields leaving the next initialisation to rewrite them, if cmos reset is breaking things, then the bios itself has faulty defaults.

Airbud and cucaulay malkin like this.
  19. D1stRU3T0R

D1stRU3T0R Master Guru

GPU:
    8 GB
    Well I guess the default is CSM Enabled, since it enables it when reflashing(updateing it) but bios reset didn't enabled it to its default state.

20. Airbud

Airbud Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5600XT
    sorry fellers if I'm OT but I got lost, are we talking about the motherboard BIOS or the graphics card BIOS? or both