Looking at Monitors

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by tsunami231, May 15, 2021.

1. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Optix MAG274QRF vs XB273U GSbmiiprzx

Are both Rapid IPS? so 1MS default speeds on both ? monitor will still probably be ran at 60hz so as to keep my 60fps attainable?

my uncles has Acer EB1321HQU while is has shitty 4ms time it has zero ips glow/Cloud other then little spot on right side screen. and the ips glow/cloud is one reason why I hate IPS.

but if i can IPS with 1ms with little to no ips glow/clouding i can deal with the fact it blacks are horrid. Not that TN panel I currently using as monitor (2ms) (VS248H) blacks are any better.

The MSI one is cheaper and is rapid ips and Acer one more expensive and maybe "rapid ips" I hear people complaing about Acer model have issues bar and burning and ips glow/clouding that just appeared in front them as they used it

1440p would be nice for monitor this way I can switch everyone thing to 1440p and use 1440p on uhdtv instead of 1080p, No i dont like switching resolutions depending on what screen I using. IF my monitor is 1080p my uhdtv wuill use 1080p,

2. Sabbath

Sabbath Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
  3. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Assuming your talking about this model?

The glow and Cloud is are big issue too me, If i can r-ips monitor that devoid of that like my uncles monitor i wont care. but with IPS its tend to be worse then most other panels. More i look at my uncles 32" acer more dead pixels i find so far i have found 5 most around the side and edges but one in is middle. and dead pixels are not some i like I will RMA when I see it. I went threw 4 TCL 55" UHDTV each with atlest 2 dead pixels before i got annoyed dragging the TV back and forth so i kept the last one I have which just has 1 dead pixels which was of to side which in turn had more clouding then the other exchanged TCL.

really would like a 1440p Monitor so i start using 1440p instead of 1080p on everything, as of now i run 1080p on Monitor cause that what it can do and 1080p on my UHDTV simply cause i dont want to swap resoultions in games each time i swtich from monitor to tv gsync too, Highly doubt I will find 1440p/4K panel that is 1MS 60HZ and Gsync. would not mind one with speakers seeing desk have room for speakers, but it not deal breaker, But Curve and IPS that 4MS is deal breaker too

4. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    If I can get R-IPS panel with no clouding like that, and no dead pixels. then I will happily switch to IPS, seeing my mainy issue with IPS is clouding issue and horrid response times that R-IPS fixes.
    from clouding stand point that BEST I even seen from IPS monitor like there virtual none there. which better then my TN monitor. and it black are about the same.

I went from Samsung LCD then to ASUS LCD neither of which had dead pixel and to this day still work and still no dead pixels.

OCD dont help in reguard to dead pixels or clouding happening on panels, OCD dont help alot of things

5. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Please don't do this. Run it at highest stable refresh rate. Also, definitely do NOT go with a 1080p monitor that is 27".

6. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I am not sticking with 1080p on next monitor it also wont be bigger then 27" either uncles has 32" and it way to big for general use good if I gaming on PC monitor cause I sit bit farther back but if I game on my PC general i output it to my 55" at this point.

Res wise 1440p or 4k, as for hz thing I Will probably wind up running it max hz and capping games at 60 fps. I have no interest in maintaining a GPU that can run current gen games at 120/fps let alone higher. cards are expensive enough as it is with out me going down the road of GPU that can actual push the frame rates Nor am i interested in the extra heat or wattage from said cards.

Main point new monitor is really so i force my self to at lest 1440p and and my monitor and tv but use 1440p, i dont like sawing resolutions around depending on what i using

7. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Hi,

is this the one you have:

https://www.msi.com/Monitor/Optix-G273QF/Overview

incidentally eyeing a WQHD display myself.

8. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    @tsunami231 sorry for piggybacking your thread, but I am in the same boat.

9. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    @anticupidon
    eh all good i dont know what i even doing, keep going back forth from a 1440p 28" with gysnc 144+ hz and just getting 28" 4K monitor with freesync, mostly cause i dont really game on my monitor anymore i mostly run it to my 55 "

i can get 4k for 28" for about 250" first 300+ for 1440p 144hz panel i will almost never game on

Point of new monitor is to have DP Monitor cause few companies i would buy gpu from dont really do dual hdmi ports, which i would need if i dont get new monitor. and geting new gpu would cause me to need new monitor cause hdmi port goes to uhdtv and I would like to switch everything from 1080p to either 1440p or even better 4k so i dont have to play music resolutions when changing from monitor to uhdtv

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
  10. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Anyone have any experience of Gigabyte G32QC?

https://www.gigabyte.com/Monitor/G32QC#kf

That should be an SVA display based on this review:
    https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/gigabyte-g32qc/#Specifications

Based on Samsung's writeup SVA should be even better than IPS even for response times but given SVA is apparently their proprietary tech (?) idk how reliable this is:
    https://pid.samsungdisplay.com/en/learning-center/white-papers/va-vs-ips

EDIT: from the same review, IPS reference is definitely better though:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021

11. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Let's broaden the question: has anyone switched from TN to (S)VA panel and did you see notably worse image ghosting or smearing in game?

Tbh the UFO test doesn't produce a completely ghost-free image even with my current TN panel.
    Well unless I set Trace Free setting quite high after which it overshoots like crazy.

@cucaulay malkin

interesting, the PCMonitors' review had an opposite result for backlight bleed (image linked from source):

[​IMG]

guess there's lots of panel lottery involved.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
  13. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Well thought fudge it and bought the Gigabyte.

Colors and contrast are great and larger, curved display helps further with immersion. Picture was pretty good out the box, just some tweaking (hint. Gamma 4 = 2.2).
    Increased resolution does bring out detail more definitely.

However... motion clarity is really not the best and way inferior to TN. Reviews suggested as much but having not used a VA panel before I had no idea how one is in practice.

Overdrive at Balanced isn't quite enough to clear that "powdery" smear. Overdrive at Speed cleans it up pretty well but you start getting lots of overshoot in turn.
    Which just gets worse if frame rate drops, the display performs by far the best at or near max refresh rate.

I'll feel the display out some more over the weekend and return it if needed. I think with the Speed setting motion clarity could be good enough, just takes some getting used to with the overshoot.
    Really like the colors and contrast and especially blacks are deep and clean so I hope I can adjust.
    This panel does gradients way better than previous too.
    HDR is very basic but not what I was looking for anyway, SDR has very good colors with this one.

Larger than 27", IPS, WQHD, Freesync panels are a bit too expensive so it's practically either this or the old monitor.

14. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    return it.if you're not happy with it then why keep it.
    you're more likely to find an ips with decent contrast and black uniformity than a non-smudging va
    i always had the impression that playing on a va always feels like less fps compared to ips/tn.and you'll have to compensate it with overdrive,which means slightly better motion clarity at the cost of overshoot artifacts.
    the monitor is the most important part of a gaming setup.save money.take your time and find an ips with good contrast,no trailing and no overshoot.
    another thing,like you said - it's pretty mediocore at max refresh.using VRR - it's only getting worse.tbh ips at 60hz will have a lot less black trailing than va at 120hz.
    looking at the overshoot values at highest overdrive setting those values are insane.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
  15. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Im looking at G34WQC for its HDR, rtings show it reaches 500nits and display is not so bad. Still deciding between odyssey g5 34 and G34wqc.

16. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    gigabyte is better in motion on paper.there's still black trailing,but all va's have them so pick your poison.it's slightly less pronounced on samsung but image is clearer on the gigabyte.
    [​IMG]
    i frankly don't understand the hype for va gaming panels.they're great for movies,but for gaming - worse motion clarity than ips/tn by a country mile.
    for 34" the problem of ips blb will be worse than ever though.
    i'd stay away from both va and ultrawide ips's.oled or bust.

17. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    I wouldn't exchange my 27" G7 for my LG OLED. Size does matter. Also VA has natural antiglare, OLED is trash for a normal human. It reflects everything like a mirror. I am very happy with my G7 (2020).

I will only change this perfect monitor, with a new one later at 2022-2023 with neo qled miniled.

@Undying Go for Samsung G5. They are slow with firmware releases, but they do work. Also there is Korean website, usually it has all firmware needed for the best experience. You can't go wrong with it.

cucaulay malkin and Undying like this.
  18. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    yeah @cucaulay malkin is exaggerating va being so bad in motion and he forgets the awful ips glow and bleed no one should be happy about. Dont to mention the price 2x of va panels, not worth it.

Im especially looking at gigabyte for its being hdr "capable" while G5 is not. Idk im still in debate price is around the same, 450-500$. I would already got one if i had the gpu but 580 cant handle the qhd resolution lol.

itpro likes this.
  19. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    where am I forgetting blb ? im mentioning it everywhere.including selling my ips because of it.
    and no,it's not exaggerated.you've seen pictures man.it's awful.almost every va leaves a black trail in motion,response times are not great either,compared to ips.
    https://imgur.com/a/VHqLJdt

they're nowhere near half price too,they're in the same range.
    i'd take an ips over va for gaming any day,at least it's good in motion.but finding one with good contrast and black uniformity would require some time.

G7 is fantastic for a VA
    what hdmi version does it have ? does it have an option for 1440/120 for xbox ?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
    itpro likes this.
  20. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    https://www.amazon.com/LG-34GK950G-B-34-21-Ultragear/dp/B07JVGLJ6R
    https://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-34-Inch-Ultra-Wide-FreeSync-LC34G55TWWNXZA/dp/B08MVBYWGQ