Weird Issue With New Build

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by KurtD123, Jul 23, 2021.

1. KurtD123

KurtD123 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti
    Just put a new system together with an Asus X570-E, Ryzen7 5800X, Enermax Aquafusion AIO cooler, 64GB Patriot RAM, Corsair 1000w PSU, 1tb Samsung M.2 and EVGA 1080ti in a new Corsair case. The 1080ti came out of my old Intel X99 system. Everything went together fine, booted and installed windows on the first try. Updated bios, loaded drivers, MS Office and a few apps then was about to start getting all my apps loaded. There were many shut-downs and reboots during this time. I went to turn on the system and nothing happened other than the some lights on the motherboard staying on. Suspected the PSU so swapped that out and no change. Did all the usual stuff - pulled the ram except for one stick, re-seated the CPU, etc., but still have the exact same behavior. No beeps or codes. RMA'd the MB and it tested OK. All I know that they did was re-flash the bios. Put everything back together and it started right up - right where I left it. Installed a bunch of SW and then figured I should shut down and start up to test it. Same damn thing happened! Thought it might be the power switch on the case, so pulled the cable and shorted the pins - exact same thing. Any ideas? Since I am switching from Intel to AMD, I don't have a spare CPU to cross-check, but it doesn't make sense that it would start, run, but just not restart. I am so frustrated...! To clarify, it never makes it to POST. There is obviously power getting through since all fans start to turn, the light show starts, and then it shuts down immediately.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
  2. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock Radeon RX 79
    So it's able to cold boot but not warm boot?
    What does the Q-LED' show?
    [​IMG]

3. KurtD123

KurtD123 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti
    Never gets that far. Fans spin and then stop, that is the extent of activity on a cold boot. No beeps or Q codes. Sending it back to Asus. I suspect a bios chip since everything runs after a fresh flash (however they do it on the bench). I tried to use Flashback and that didn’t work. Put a fresh battery in - no joy. Different RAM and psu, same results. Tempted to grab a cheap compatible MB. If the ram or cpu were bad, don’t see how it works so well when it did start. Been putting my own boxes together since 1996. This is the first real problem I have encountered. It’s usually Windows or drivers…

4. Zooke

Zooke Master Guru

GPU:
    3090FE + EK Block
    Start it with the minimum things connected as possible to see if you can get to what Webhiker references. Remove the gpu, ram, drives and maybe as a last resort remove the cpu.
    See if you can get those led's to light up.

And what happens if you reset the bios ?

The fact that it worked out of the box, and it worked after an rma would seem to indicate the issue is being caused by something you are doing or connecting.

5. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock Radeon RX 79
    Flashback not working could be an incompatible USB stick or wrongly named CAP file (should be renamed to : SX570EG.CAP )
    I'm guessing you have tried using the 4410 BIOS Version? (Which is a beta version - 4002 is the latest official version) If it works fine after flashing a BIOS and then stops working again after booting, then something is definitely up with the BIOS chip.

6. KurtD123

KurtD123 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti
    I have tried everything mentioned above. Bios file was renamed using the asus utility and then checked the file name manually. Bios reset by shorting jumper. Flashback seemed to work as described in the manual. Etc… Hoping they just swap it out. Chomping at the bit to get this done. I only had a few more apps to load and another m.2 drive. Sigh…

7. Zooke

Zooke Master Guru

GPU:
    3090FE + EK Block
    Are you saying you have flashed the bios after it was rma'd and returned to you ?

8. elaganza

elaganza Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire r9 380
    is it possible to back on old bios? what apps you installed? and did you check temps on your rig? try to check psu running heavy game. BIOS on default?

9. KurtD123

KurtD123 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti
    Tried the flashback function as a last resort. Flashes bios from a flash drive, No need to POST. Hold the button down while turning the power on will initiate a flash. Figured “why not?”. Bios on default. loaded Windows, Office, Quicken, Steam and let Steam install the games. At one point checked temps. In the 30’s. No chance to try games.

10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    the graphics card needs a GOP update in the vbios to support the motherboards uefi boot, otherwise i will fail to start in the worst case (dependin on mainboard manufacturer)

11. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock Radeon RX 79
    Wouldn't changing the UEFI mode to CSM fix that?
    Usually the motherboard displays a message saying that GOP (Graphics Output Control) support isn't detected and
    automatically changes BIOS UEFI mode to CSM. ( I have only seen this on MSI Motherboards so cannot say what Asus do)

There is also this : https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/nv-uefi-update-x64/
    Which was posted on this forum a few years back. I did this with my 1080Ti, no issues.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
  12. KurtD123

KurtD123 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti
    So on the two times the system started from a cold boot, there were absolutely zero issues. Several times I entered bios just to poke around and see what was different from my old X99 system. The two times were done with two different video cards, the other one being a cheap, but recent, 2GB Nvidia card. There is never an error message, q code or even a single beep. I would expect some kind of response if it were a video issue. The fans, all of them, including the video card, turn a few revolutions and then stop. I see no indication that a POST even starts. The only thing that happens is the LED lights stay on (the goofy light show stuff, not anything meaningful). It’s off to Asus now, hoping they swap it out.

13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    only if you can get it booted to change to csm, many are not even defaulting to csm enabled now, so a bad gop module will cause boot issues - where as a card without any gop will post and come to life when windows is loaded.

14. vestibule

vestibule Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX6600XT
    I would take the mobo out of the case and strip the mobo of all components, I would then re assemble the pc component by component and on every new component check the boot/bios functionality.
    My idea is that the mobo may be sorting out somewhere on the case. Or a circuitry fault. hence component by component and test boot/bios.
    Also do not forget to repeatedly reset the bios. Battery out job.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
  15. akbaar

akbaar Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUFF 3080 12Gb
    make sure your NVME SSD is not making contact with motherboard causing shortcut!!! happened to me