MMO New World (Closed Beta) is killing GeForce RTX 3090 Graphics Cards

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 22, 2021.

1. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    I don't think its specifically the amount of fps the game is pushing out in the menus its how the gpu core is being used at that same time. Doom Eternal's menus/splashscreens will run into the 1000's of fps range and coil whine can be heard on GPU's during this. But the GPU core isn't being loaded to its absolute max and power draw isn't shooting up to max either.

Amazon seem to have allowed their game engine to render menus and pull a GPU's max power instantly. People have reported seeing power draw spike the moment they press the PLAY button in the launcher.

2. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    I do have a 3090 but do you think i should confirm it for everyone here. Hold my beer i'm going in. Damn it it's already patched so you guys are out of luck no broke arse 3090 here, shame i would of liked to test it, NOT.

That's like telling a kid it's fine to touch the fire.

3. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    If a GPU cant handle it, then it is improperly designed. You have not stated a problem here.

4. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Why do we not hear about specific video games killing specific video cards like this more often?

5. AuerX

AuerX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Militech Apogee
    Right.
    I mean if these cards are so weak......?

6. kanenas

kanenas Master Guru

GPU:
    6900xt,7800xt.
    water cooled and v-sync...

XenthorX and DannyD like this.
  7. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    Yikes! I feel sorry for the people without a working GPU right now... hopefully there are RMA in stock for them.

I can't recall which game it was, but back in the late 2000s I was playing some earlier FPS game that would skyrocket to 600 FPS on the menus. I think that was when I started a habit of having a fps meter always showing on my games.

8. Krizby

Krizby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4090 TUF
    or just set multiple undervolt profiles with Afterburner, my 3090 is running undervolted at 1725mhz/750mV, 1860mhz/812mV, 2010mhz/906mV and I just pick the profile that is best for certain scenario (Highest FPS required or best efficiency)

9. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060

Maddness and KissSh0t like this.
  10. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black

Makes think back when the GTX 590s were blowing up.

11. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Actually i havent seen the option in the driver on my nvidia rig. I have 75hz set manually in RTSS for that system.

12. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    Those caps on that card look like they're very bulged to me. The tops of them should be flat but those aren't and it takes alot to make them balloon like that.

The two on the left look fine but the four on the right look rounded on top.

13. ViperAnaf

ViperAnaf Guest

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3080 OC
    a game cant "kill" cards... its can be demanding sure.... but the bad design by evga "killed" those cards...

14. WalterDasTrevas

WalterDasTrevas Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX970 oc
  15. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    Looking to trade my 3090 for a 3060, anyone ?

Maddness and Embra like this.

16. msoltyspl

msoltyspl New Member

GPU:
    3080/12gb
    Would be lovely to see confirmed list of brands/models that did brick and didn't brick (yet) in this game.

17. Hog54

Hog54 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Tuf RTX 3070
    I see 1000 fps everytime I start up call of duty black ops with my 3070 and never had a problem and never had coil whine on any card I ever owned.

18. ruthan

ruthan Master Guru

GPU:
    G1070 MSI Gaming
    Beside fact that only Jay2Cents and its fans are probably buying EVGA products. Its pure HW design fail, video card has to be ready for very high FPS, because of old games, emulators, alternative OS, or just bad codding.. during OS booting and in other situation FPS limited could be use, it should be mandatory.. It is not possible that everytime when some Nvidia coder, or other coder fails to make FPS limiter working for some game in some situations, cards will die.. If HW is so lame, even some error in some shader code could kill it.

I guess that EVGA will add some new test in their testing process.. and with high fps, they will be annoyed enough with coil whine that they will finally fix even this problem.

19. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    i wonder who really uses vsync off all the time and not vsync off when fps less than screen max refresh

20. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    i do not think a black screen makes the card do much, is light graphic at uncapped FPS that can bother it.