Electronic Arts announces Battlefield 2042 | Battlefield Portal Game Creation Sandbox

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 23, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    DannyD likes this.
  2. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    I thought it was going to be an ARMA killer for a second there... Good progress though. The Frostbite Engine is amazing but I hope they get to open world soon.

3. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    First battlefield game excited about in long time, can see portal as most popular game mode already due to sheer amount of customization available, possibilities look endless. Can see dlc packs with more of the old classic maps making it even more epic.

4. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    Are you comparing a war sim to a war arcade game?

There is nothing to compare. ARMA runs like @%$# even with the best hardware. Battlefield runs smooth with good hardware.

I played BF since 1942 game, and still playing BF. Slow warsim isn't for me.

GoldenTiger likes this.

5. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    ARMA runs fine on my old PC. It is CPU limited dependent due to old scripting engine and AI on a single thread, but other than that, it works.

Example: look at DayZ Standalone game, not the ARMA 2 mod. It runs really well on an open world size map with updated renderer. There are AI mods out now for it that can run ~ 100 AIs simultaneous on the server with MP players.

So, I was hoping the Frostbyte Engine would become capable of huge sandbox openworld. It runs great and would be amazing if it can scale worlds like ARMA.

6. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    No level editor.
    No. Level. Editor.

GFY EA, you really love killing off your own games before they are released do you not?

7. buhehe

buhehe Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6700 XT
    Editors are the biggest threat to DLCs

8. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I would argue editors and also mod support is a very good way of growing a very dedicated community, something EA has no experience with of course... Outside of gambling in sports "video games" of course.

Maybe one day EA will see the light.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
    Loobyluggs likes this.
  9. Nicked_Wicked

Nicked_Wicked Master Guru

GPU:
    6900XT
    You had my interest, now you have my attention. :D

Trying to fend off the urge to pre-order though, BF launches are always a bit “chaotic”.

10. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    This product seems super awesome. I was speculating that they might be doing something like that with BF5, when they were talking about the live service model that in the end they never got up and going on that.
    That they'd stop having a BF game where you buy new ones all the time and instead release new content in to one big game - allowing this kind of "temporal crossplay" - super amazing idea. Guess they have the option to add so many things from BF5 and maybe 1? Models and textures being high enough quality and compatible formats, one could hope.

11. NewTRUMP Order

NewTRUMP Order Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3080
    When they only show made up video's instead of actual gameplay it's a good indication the game will suck.

Jawnys likes this.
  12. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black

EA will never see the light. The reason Need for Speed Shift one and two were so big was because they were moddable and the modding community that made fixes to the games and everything else. They disabled all modding support possible for project cars 1 and 2 and that is a community that has all but completely died.

13. Zooke

Zooke Master Guru

GPU:
    3090FE + EK Block
    Looks good on the surface, but the devil is always in the detail.
    EA do not convince me as a company who will let player created content run free.
    Therefore I expect a number of critical restrictions, rendering this mode barely more than novelty only.

As said previously, a level editor is what will really set the game alight.
    Also, for game companies, level editors unearth new talent.
    I remember being running some Day of Defeat Source servers a long time ago, players would fill servers which had popular user created maps in their rotation.

14. hatchet_ryda

hatchet_ryda New Member

GPU:
    XFX 6800 XT
    Mod support .... Would kill to see it in a new AAA title such as Battlefield again. Without mod support the BF1942 mod Desert Combat would not have been made. DICE hired the creators of the mod for a continuation of the mod (Battlefield 2). Granted they did fire the team shortly after release.

The Refractor engine was arguably one of the best engines of the time, highly moddable with good texture management. Though some work could have been done on the Interpolation and Extrapolation portions of the network management (you could manually tweak it to get hit registration on the model instead of a meter behind them at times).

15. Srsbsns

Srsbsns Member Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega 64 Liquid
    This is all great and dandy but the # 1 feature I want to know about is the anticheat. BF5 online is basically unplayable.

16. buhehe

buhehe Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6700 XT
    And I agree with you, as someone who has spent thousands of hours playing BF1942 mods.
    My feeling is that having a rich modding environment would allow people to push more and better content than EA itself, harming their DLC sales. Just a theory.

Or perhaps they have no interest in growing a long lasting community, as their priority is to sell you Battlefield N+1

17. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    I think what irritates me the most is that i don't see any answer to CoD:MW regarding first person weapon animations in the footage shown.
    Don't want to start extrapolate on what they're doing or not, but it looks like i'm seeing the same old procedural animations i've been seeing since Battlefield 2-3.

When i move around with my MP5 in CoD:MW, it looks pure badass, snappy, kinetic, closer to what a true first person (unified 1st/3rd person) would look like than anything i've seen yet from the Battlefield Franchise.

Don't get me wrong i'm totally getting the game anyway.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
    big ROBOT bill likes this.
  18. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    It's absolutely not a theory, it is the reason for EA not supporting Mods since Battlefield 2, a game which funnily enough would not exist had it not been for a little Modding team that brought us the legendary Desert Combat mod for Battlefield 1942.

19. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    We've had CS:GO for nine years now (yes, it really has been than long!) and that has a level editor, but also, the game is an e-sports juggernaut and continues to make Valve money every year, bringing people to the Steam platform, wherein they can purchase other games.

EA is run by people from the fizzy drinks industry, the airline industry, the pop music 'industry' and the teevee advertising industry - and these people are pure marketing types, who only understand things like 'launch windows' and 'time to market' and everyone's favourite 'recurrent revenue model'.

In simple terms for even the dumbest passer-by to these forums: If EA were to publish a game that continually generated moderate revenue though level editing, these 'people' would not have a job to do.

They would be made redundant, apropos; whilst they work for these firms, we will never get a level editor.

20. Abc666

Abc666 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA FTW 1070 8GB
    Wish they released mod tools, BF5's atmosphere is so tame, just not excited about this one at all.
    The best BF games came out of the mods