AMD makes Super Resolution officially open source, four new games get support

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 16, 2021.

1. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    I really wonder how you can find this, let's call it slight change in style by regular CAS (not FSR), more distracting than the atrocious ringing most other sharpeners add. Note that without sharpen, DLSS Q in Control is ultra-blurry. Metro Exodus Enhanced is much less blurry, though even then I instantly noticed the ringing Nvidia driver sharpen introduces with just a strength of 0.15. I can't stand "halos" around edges at all, looks like cheap TV sharpen to impress the average Joe.

Well, anyway, DLSS sharpen looks more natural than either sharpener imho (because it's not just post processing?). So let's hope Nvidia will give us access to set it freely in any game. And no dissent on FSR sharpen being way over the top.

2. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    LOL, I saw a review of this FSR vs DLSS article where the reviewer concluded that DLSS is superior. Image wise, both looked similar with but with edge going to DLSS (I don't argue this, as I've always maintained that DLSS has the edge image-wise), but since DLSS offered a 4-5fps performance uplift over FSR, he'd concluded that DLSS is better. He'd used an RTX 3080 for his review, and came to this conclusion, but I ask you, is this a fair conclusion?

DLSS is driver optimized on the RTX 3080, but lacks any official FSR optimized driver support from nVidia (which is basically ignoring FSR, I don't blame as they're out to sell their RTX cards after all)). I don't recall the reviewer even mentioning this, nor the wider GPU support FSR has for both AMD and nVidia cards. Honestly, I dunno what's up with such reviewers,

3. Krizby

Krizby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4090 TUF
    If you were fine with Upscaling vs DLSS before, you are probably fine sticking to Upscaling vs FSR now :D.
    Here is Upscaled 1440p vs 4K FSR Quality
    https://imgsli.com/NjE3MjM
    FSR oversharpen the image too much IMO, it looks cartoony.

You should try the Sharpen+ filter, it adds sharpness and details without messing with the contrast value (which is annoying).
    https://imgsli.com/NjE3OTE
    Both filters at 60%, you can see that Sharpen+ maintain the details without the ringing artifacts.
    Like I mention before, maybe CAS is not that annoying to IPS/VA screen because most LCD screen have max contrast ratio of 1000:1, meanwhile CAS make the contrast go like 10k:1 on OLED screen, which just make the image look bad.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
  4. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    Is it if you can't tell the difference? What, then, about variable rate shading in GPUs/drivers/engine level? What about foveated rendering? What about all the various tricks you'll see that games are already using to render this or that at lower quality because you won't be noticing it? Are those also to be banned, or?

5. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    see,you have to prove statements like these.you're trying to shame that reviewer for skewing data,what data ar you basing your assumptions on ?
    so far no one pointed out that fsr gives different performance numbers on nvidia and amd,you're the first one.so show us your data.
    if they come out the same,can we officially ask "what is up with posts like these" ?

if the image is better,and performance is better,how is he going to reach a different conclusion ?
    i mean,dlssq upscales from 66% and fsr uq from 77%,why do you think dlss has the edge ? because nvidia gimped fsr ? amd owners and their theories.......

TimmyP likes this.
  6. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    The limit is as you said: "if you can notice it or not" in super resolution and DLSS, an exerced eye can notice it (i am on AMD right now and my son on RTX)... And the objective is to gain fps
    But NVidia and AMD present them as the magical solution to everything...
    In the future i guess we will laugh about the use of that trick to have a descent fps.

Lily GFX likes this.
  7. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    Doubtful - dynamic resolution and upscaling is an old trick in the book by now :p it's also been a common feature in many games in the past many years.

8. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
  9. Lily GFX

Lily GFX Member Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3090 Xtreme
  10. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Pretty sure all UE games are going to be a mix. FSR has no AA component. For TAAU FSR replaces the U and it just uses Unreal's TAA implementation, which is really good.

Lily GFX likes this.

11. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    Ok, but the performance costs of FreeStyle inject + this shader is absurd: In Strange Brigade, it's 146fps without any FreeStyle filter vs. 112fps with Sharpen+. Nvidia should really improve performance with FreeStyle filters, I'd only resort to it if I was in extreme despair.

12. Krizby

Krizby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4090 TUF
    Well I often use Sharpen+ with 4K DLSS Balanced/Performance, which look better and perform better than just 4K DLSS Quality. I was able to replicate better visual than 4K Native with 4K DLSS P with Sharpen+, at least in still shots. For best result with Sharpen+, align the Intensity and Texture sliders vertically.

Called it, FSR oversharpen the image in Necromunda :D, the CAS settings should have been left to users preference.

13. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
  14. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
  15. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution FP32 fallback tested, native FP16 is 7% faster

16. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    Yet that's with very high fps, and since the FSR render costs are mostly fixed on the same GPU, the performance impact is much lower with realistic fps values (unless the GPU is really slow).
    It's nice that they cleverly leverage hardware potential to make things efficient. But too bad it's still just boring upscaling (backed by depth buffer, but anyway). FSR should have come with a framework to easily replace a game's (often mediocre) TAA with a better one for TAAU to be a real open alternative to DLSS...

17. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    Egosoft added first part of FSR in X4 Foundations with 4.10 Beta 5 today.
    • [Beta 5] Added new upscaling setting with AMD FSR support (work in progress, improvements and fix for missing outlines to come).

Embra and SpajdrEX like this.
  18. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
  19. Krizby

Krizby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4090 TUF
    DF reviewed FSR in RE: Village

Overall FSR UQ provide equivalent IQ to Checkerboarding (blurrier overall but better anti-aliasing) while performing worse.

pharma likes this.
  20. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Proton has done that now!

https://www.gamingonlinux.com/2021/...amd-fidelityfx-super-resolution-resizable-bar

Not sure when Valve will update Proton on Steam to include that (if they haven't already done so.) So right now, if you you use that, you get FSR in all existing games.

HandR likes this.