AMD makes Super Resolution officially open source, four new games get support

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 16, 2021.

1. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    It is better in terms of subpixel information, which is crucial for evaluation in terms of AA quality.
    And that's the point: FSR doesn't provide any better subpixel information, it only gets worse vs. native. DLSS Quality actually often is better than native, as the deep learning algorithm does a much better job in gathering them from previous frames (well, and may introduce the smearing, which I find too annoying in Legion, but e.g. it's fine in CoD with 2.2).

Mineria likes this.
  2. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    perfect summary for this thread.
    even if there are differences in quality they may or may not matter,depending on who you ask.

people are still gonna say it's a matter of opinion tho
    seriously,how easy is it for these companies to market anything under a catchy name if people don't care for quality but brand fanboyism.

even game developers say the same thing - dlss reconstructs,fsr upsamples.
    but don't you dare say that on the forum where opinions matter more than data. you may hurt someone's feelings by zooming too much lol

thanks but can you use imgsli ? sliders are much better for this.
    what is on the left side ? fsr or dlss ?
    looks noticeably worse even without going to fullscreen.

problem is you can't.everyone is entitled to their opinion now. you like blurry and less detailed image more ? sure,I have to accept it's better then.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
    Mineria likes this.
  3. Lily GFX

Lily GFX Member Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3090 Xtreme
    Is that with the latest DLSS dll?
    If so they did a poor job adding both FSR and DLSS.

>I do not think the sharpen from FSR halo that much. It did not do that on Godfall thou I
    only tested 4k on Quality and Ultra Quality FSR. Maybe they forgot to turn off their own
    sharpen when enabled.

>On DLSS it reconstruct bridge very well but also adds odd horizontal artifacts on the clouds and
    some of the sails on some of the boats. Clouds seems to have a slight blue tint too.
    Same with the DLSS images others posted there are odd small artifacts that should not be there at all.

>Smoke cloud on the middle of the bridge on both FSR and DLSS have sharpening artifacts.

>4k image of the girl above show to much sharpen on both FSR and DLSS with artifacts noticeable
    on her skin.
    The DLSS image tries reconstruct hair but makes it look slightly odd. Think I saw similar in RDR2,
    looks like diagonal stripes. There also some floaty artifacts that looks like hair on the right.:confused:

Do not have the game but I think I prefer the Native images on all resolutions if ignoring the bridge.

Both FSR and DLSS are useful thou for higher fps while being close to native and that is really
    what matters. Also both AMD and Nvidia will improve over time.
    Going to be interesting to see other upscale tech like the Microsoft one and so on.:)

AsiJu likes this.
  4. Krizby

Krizby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4090 TUF
    Left is FSR and right is DLSS
    Here is image slider :D
    https://imgsli.com/NjE1OTg
    FSR basically destroy any thin object, notice the chainmail on the girl's chest disappear with FSR
    I also make a clip

Last edited: Jul 17, 2021

5. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Are you sure it's the same settings? that's like a massive difference lol

6. Krizby

Krizby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4090 TUF
    Yeah it's like looking at 1440p vs 4K texture isn't it :D
    People just don't get that FSR include CAS, that's why it appear sharp but the texture details are missing, meanwhile DLSS recontructs tiny details and with a bit of sharpening it's perfect.
    Full size image https://imgsli.com/NjE1OTk
    Because Sharpen+ is a new filter that's only available on GFE overlay, it takes away like 15%FPS, but totally worth using with DLSS Balanced or Performance.

7. kanenas

kanenas Master Guru

GPU:
    6900xt,7800xt.
    How much% zoom has been used in these images?
    I do not think anyone plays this way, dlss is much better in lower resolution compared to fsr,
    at higher resolutions, however, the 2 techniques come closer to image quality and performance with Nvidia having the upper hand.
    Well done to AMD for its first attempt for sure those who have APU I think will find it very pleasant, fsr is better than dlss 1.0, and even a thumbs up that gives life and ability to obsolete graphics cards to be used a little more by users.
    As to whether the techniques have better results than native resolution Opera Snapshot_2021-07-09_004222_www.guru3d.com.png Opera Snapshot_2021-07-09_004135_www.guru3d.com.png the images speak for themselves ...

Horus-Anhur likes this.
  8. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    There is though.
    When you play on a 1080p monitor and render at twice the resolution or more before downscaling it to 1080p you often end up with a sharper image and less aliasing, which makes it better than native.
    But that is DSR and not DLSS.

9. kanenas

kanenas Master Guru

GPU:
    6900xt,7800xt.
    Opera Snapshot_2021-07-17_201336_www.amd.com.png Opera Snapshot_2021-07-17_201358_www.amd.com.png

How did you manage to take screenshots with fsr since there is no support for the avengers?

10. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    If you use 4x DSR on a 1080p display, then "native" is 4K, not 1080p.

11. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    To be fair, it's probably still better than rendering below native monitor resolution and then use CAS to make it look a bit better, not sure how the shimmer compares between those two methods.
    It's also the only option available for AMD GPU owners.

But that some think FSR can be/get better than DLSS is beyond me.

12. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Oh, and here I thought native was max monitor resolution.

13. Krizby

Krizby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4090 TUF
    With an 48in OLED TV sitting 70cm away from me, i can tell you that any slight sharpness or detail loss and especially oversharpen artifacts are easily perceivable :D, don't need zooming for that.
    Try out the new Sharpen+ filter in GFE overlay with DLSS Performance, you will be pleasantly surprise
    https://imgsli.com/NjE2MDI

14. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    I misspoke :p

In this context 4K would be the native resolution for comparison purposes. For example FSR 4K or DLSS 4K vs native 4K. Can FSR or DLSS 4K be better than native 4K? In the same sense, can DSR 4K (meaning a 1080p result) be better than native 4K (as seen in a 4K display)? I doubt it, but it's clear other people think it can.

Future will tell, I guess.

15. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    [​IMG]

kanenas likes this.

16. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    apparently amd had no idea it was coming

kanenas likes this.
  17. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Both yes and no, while it can reconstruct details that are missing and make them look better compared to 4K it also makes other things look worse.
    Idea is though, to make a game that barely runs at 4K run smoother with the least amount of quality lost.
    What makes me wonder is, what hardware are game studios testing their games on?
    Or are they actually getting paid to release games that run poorly on top end new hardware just so that AMD/Nvidia can sell their next gen top card with ease...

18. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    Could you give DLSS Quality a try + CAS via ReShade? It comes at a much lower performance hit and doesn't cause ringing. I suggest to leave Contrast Adaptation at the default value of 0 and if you want a stronger sharpen effect, increase the sharpen strength limit to e.g. 2.0 in CAS.fx file. I use it in Control to fix the really intense blur that it has with DLSS in the EGS version.

Krizby likes this.
  19. kanenas

kanenas Master Guru

GPU:
    6900xt,7800xt.
  20. kanenas

kanenas Master Guru

GPU:
    6900xt,7800xt.