Steam Deck

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by H83, Jul 15, 2021.

1. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    So its running linux and proton (which automatically installs wine or dxvk) to run Windows games.

There is this up to date database where the games are listed , and if there are any problems. https://www.protondb.com/

lets take a look at F1 2021 , a game that just released: https://www.protondb.com/app/1134570
    It says "Borked" , which means you will have to wait until it gets fixed, which is something I rather do not want with a new windows game.

There are many games listed which crash unless you use an experimental version of proton,or like i said still need fixing. I'm not really sure if i would want to spend $399 minimum to alpha play test games.

I know there are no alternatives to this handheld PC , but that doesn't make it a good choice.

tunejunky and RavenMaster like this.
  2. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Some people in here are daft and just one track minded. You are not gonna buy, move the hell on already. Just wow.
    This is literally a Nintendo Switch for PC gamers and you clowns are just crying about it like its gonna ruin your day.

CPC_RedDawn likes this.
  3. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    Waw take a look at your post history Mr. move along now.

Denial likes this.
  4. cliffgamerz

cliffgamerz Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3070 8GB
    Does this require an active internet connection to play steam library games because of DRM in some games. There goes the portability for me, better to buy a laptop or Nintendo switch then.

5. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970 Ghz Ed.
    Just preordered my 512 GB Deck.
    Yes you can install windows on it clean if you want.

6. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    it should be exactly the same as steam , ie offline play works fine, That is of course assuming the game developer isn't explicitly requiring it
    https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3160-AGCB-2555

7. moo100times

moo100times Master Guru

GPU:
    295x2 @ stock
    Looks like an excellent bit of kit to use the steam library on... for the price of half a new decent gpu! Also whatever the hardware cost increase, it will be offset by the fact games are generally much cheaper on pc platform vs console gaming.

I hope it is repairable or can have replaceable parts. With consoles as a base of reference, definitely used up a few controllers to where their accuracy reduced with time. Would be a shame for this hardware to wear out with 2 years of regular use. Similar to switch with the joycon drifting with time.

8. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Just saw someone call it the "GabeBoy".

CPC_RedDawn and Undying like this.
  9. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Just buy something like this instead and play your games. frack steam and their gabeboy.

10. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    This explains why Steam has been so crap the past years, they shifted their focus on Hardware and ignore the godaweful software that's Steam.

11. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Thats becouse their hardware sucks except overpriced vr headset and their software is gonna get replaced by epic in the future.

Gabe wishes he made more games instead of this crap.

12. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Someone actually gets its.

$700 compared too $349, does not include a controller, does not include a mouse, does not include gyro/motion controls, and its not as portable and compact. And its probably full of bloatware. But hey it has a crappy membrane keyboard.

My point is you can't compare the two, they are targeting different markets. Its more comparable to the switch at which point its not even a contest. Spec wise this destroys the switch and it can probably play most of the switch games through emulation.

Why has steam been crap? They have the biggest library, consistent annual sales, the most functionality compared to any other store.

You mean that Fortnite launcher?

Gabe actually wishes they had released this type of device a lot sooner.

https://nintendoeverything.com/valv...ity-to-create-hardware-and-software-together/

tunejunky likes this.
  13. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Yes, the unreal engine 5 creators and their launcher.

349$? Didnt the 512gb nvme version costs almost 600$ for a handheld? The laptop has a rtx2060 in it lol.

14. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    They could create the next iteration of the wheel it still doesn't take away the fact that their store is atrocious and is nothing more than a fortnite launcher.

And yes granted the price for the high models are expensive for a handheld but the barrier to entry for the base model is still $349.

15. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    I don't normally agree with Linus but he's right here. The starting price is pretty solid.

Video starts at the right time.

tunejunky likes this.

16. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    I, for one, will most likely get one (512GB version) for myself as I have tons of Steam games, a sort of Christmas gift to myself.

CPC_RedDawn likes this.
  17. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Apparently the NVME storage is changeable so get the 256GB model and then you can just switch it out yourself later on.

tunejunky likes this.
  18. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    love this as it is innovative.

i mean an ergonomic portable form factor for a pc that's not tablet or notebook shaped? c'mon
    and you can install another OS? wow
    i'm not a fan of Steam's "Big Picture" browser so to toggle between linux/win and SteamOS is a win.
    i still have my Steam Controller (which i actually like) and the fact this builds upon that experience while taking in the flaws (of the controller) and fixing them is another win.
    you can complain about the games, but that's not Steam's fault, that's game devs
    and just think if you get the dock you can add a freesync monitor, keyboard, what the hell ever.

19. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Can you explain to me why the VR set is in top sold list ? It totally baffles me.

CPC_RedDawn likes this.
  20. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    The cool thing is they announced you can actually install Windows on it. The problem is if I remember correctly, you can't use an SD card in Windows as a full blown storage device? I haven't tested this in years though.

Honestly with how little I game now I would probably get one. It would be great if there were USB C egpu docking stations(although super limited bandwidth of course), this could almost be a at home and on the go device if there were. Still though, gaming tablets that aren't mobile based or phones I think are really a small market that could be explored more. Razer back a few years ago had that gaming tablet that was pretty cool in my opinion. I love this form factor personally. :)

One thing I wonder about it, did they power limit the APU down? I wonder if they soft locked it, there are a number of Ryzen APU's now in laptops that are soft locked to lower power now.