Ukraine Security Service Shuts Down Illegal Crypto Farm With 3800 PS4 Consoles Sucking 200k electricity monthly

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 12, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    TheDigitalJedi and Neo Cyrus like this.
  2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    The interesting part here is actually that a government agency cracked down on it. I guess they were looking for something else than a crypto farm, but still...

DannyD, Embra, TheDigitalJedi and 2 others like this.
  3. D1stRU3T0R

D1stRU3T0R Master Guru

GPU:
    8 GB
    No? They just saw a huge power leak and they just traced down the location. You can't really ask the electricians to find from where it's leaking, maybe the police but who knows, maybe they couldn't find anything.

Ghosty likes this.
  4. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Only that the SBI is not the normal police.

DannyD likes this.

5. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Wasn't there earlier a similar case in the UK? The police thought they would find criminals growing cannabis indoors, but instead found a mining cave. Considering that, it would be no wonder if the cops in Ukraine already suspected they would find miners.

TheDigitalJedi likes this.
  6. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    Absolute cancer this has turned into. Glad authorities are starting to crack down on it, be it on purpose or to trace electricity theft.

TheDigitalJedi and Solfaur like this.
  7. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    Looks like a nice clean setup. Someone takes pride in their work ;). Commiserations to the poor chap who spend all his time setting this all up just to have it stolen from him by the government agency I presume before even making any money from it.

The Reeferman likes this.
  8. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I don't know, I still guess the SBU / SBI acting on electricity theft wasn't a daily business. Not sure if somebody from Ukraine's a fellow guru, but in my country, electricity theft and even claiming and using an abondoned factory usually is not checked on by the anti terrorist or special security forces in the first place. Might be different with Ukraine's latest history, but that's just the anecdotal puzzle part I chose to find amusing about the news.

DannyD likes this.
  9. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Where does one go and then say... ohh yes kind sir I wish to purchase THREE THOUSAND EIGHT HUNDRED PlayStation 4 consoles... ohh yes, in cash.. yes yes..

TheDigitalJedi and Solfaur like this.
  10. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Well, at least they were using PS4s and not something currently in-demand.

Sure you can. More specifically, the utility company can track it down. Assuming people have to pay an electric bill in Ukraine, all buildings have a meter for power usage. Shouldn't be that hard for them to look at their month-by-month data and find something using an absurd amount of power despite profits not going up.

11. Brit90

Brit90 Member Guru

GPU:
    R390X 8GB
    They traced the leak to a huge warehouse, since it's probably not a "short circuit" they informed the police. It was probably tagged as a gang related activity, sent in the special police.
    They were making over $2000 a day on free electric from the PS4s alone.
    Probably a special unit of police and police were involved in the raid. Hard to go unnoticed all that electric.

Silva likes this.
  12. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Maybe they thought they were dealing with criminals/ terrorists using lots of electricity for something bad and when they finally saw all the consoles, they were like" frack, all this and they are just gamers!?"...:D

13. I simply don't understand why would anyone put any effort in building such nest with PS4s, because there could only be 2 outcomes...

* If they pay for the electricity, they won't be profitable.
    * If they don't pay for the electricity, they'll be busted and HW sold in auction.

They can't be THAT stupid.

14. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Good, **** ehm!

Silva likes this.
  15. SamuelL421

SamuelL421 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 / RTX 5000
    My thoughts exactly, I bet they suspected a drug operation on a scale that meant it was organized crime. Funny though, imagine being geared up for a raid on this big, underground drug farm, only to walk into a bizarre datacenter filled with playstations :D

TheDigitalJedi likes this.

16. Airbud

Airbud Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5600XT
    cryptocurrency is fixing to crash!.....if you own any! = Sell it now!

Watch!

TheDigitalJedi and DannyD like this.
  17. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    Someone who's got the brains to set this all up would be treated as a organised criminal group most likely. This is where the SBI come in as these might of made millions if the farm had been running for some time. With lot's of cash these idiots become dangerous because life is cheaper than it's ever been.

18. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    It's not only bad guys with bad intentions that use crypto just sayin, tho i do agree that nowadays a human life is what .. ten grand?:(

19. Sixtyfps

Sixtyfps Master Guru

GPU:
    Tuff 4080 non OC
    This is good what a waste of good electricity. I personally think it should be banned as in reality isnt more then a bunch of numbers on a screen

20. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    Same as fiat, numbers on a screen.
    Banker bailout anyone?

carnivore and Backstabak like this.