Intel Takes back CPU market share at Steam

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 6, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    According to Steam's monthly hardware statistics, Intel first took back a significant chunk of AMD's CPU market share in 2021. In the previous four to five months, AMD's share of the Ryzen market h...

Intel Takes back CPU market share at Steam

DannyD likes this.
  2. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Not a suprise , was cheaper alternative to AMD.

3. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    I take that with a pinch of salt, perhaps they should show the 4-5ghz cpu`s from Amd and Intel

4. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    We talking about more people getting online from lock downs using older devices with Intel CPUs? Or are we seeing an increasing adaptation rate of newer, 10xxxx+ generation, Intel CPUs? Big difference in how the data is being presented. There is nothing in there that breaks down generations.

My CPU is 3.6-4 GHZ and is how many years old now?!

5. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    9400,10400 and now 11400 are selling tremendously.

Airbud and olymind1 like this.
  6. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Think Steam fetches baseclock values, apart from that a lot of people (even Zen 2/3) owners recommend Intel atm., most bang for the buck.
    AMD really needs to wake up if they want to stay competitive.

AuerX and olymind1 like this.
  7. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Lockdown did not prevent people from getting online with their gaming machines, rather the opposite.
    So what we see is more 10xxx getting sold since people got back to a steady cashflow and can also get to the stores again.
    Also confirmations going again, so probably a lot of CPU's as presents in between there.

8. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    Ryzen is overpriced right now. You can get good Intel 6 core for cheap, wile a Ryzen 3600 is still the same price it lunched 2 years ago. Forget about Ryzen 5000, that's just a money grab.
    Only AMD CPU worth getting now is 3900/5900 and up if you need the performance, if you wanna get an affordable gaming system: Intel.

olymind1 likes this.
  9. Dribble

Dribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 1070
    Is it not more people buying laptops - they are mostly Intel still?

10. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    It didn't matter for a good long while because AMD had too little to sell, at least from the latest generation. TSMC was simply unable to manufacture enough of anything, except for Apple chips. That being said, Ryzen 3000 series is quite cheap now. AMD could have made the 5000 series cheaper, but they still wouldn't have sold more of them due to the lack of manufacturing capacity. So, AMD would have simply made less profit. Now the 5000 series seems to have good availability throughout the line, so it could indeed be the time for AMD to reconsider the prices.

11. SHS

SHS Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    I think you have wrong it was way higher then MSRP but not as bad GPU but it is slow lee come down I just wish GPU prices would go back MSRP as there valve are way to high.
    I think the only reason why Intel got a big uptick in Steam is because of it onboard GPU as AMD APU are no where to be found or way to high price and if and when the 5000G dose come it is just refresh Vega core BooBoo maybe the 6000 with get the RDNA 2.

12. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    This right here especially the 10400 was what 170 ? Sure is a bit weaker on games and in general in games the difference is small or non existent especially with the gpus the mid range cpus tend to be paired with ....so is it weaker ? Sure a little bit...is it woth to pay 2x the price to earn 0-5 fps to get to ryzen 5600 ? No not even close . If there was a ryzen 5600 non x at 220 would have been a different story but it seems amd can not get enough tsmc capacity to cover their overpriced stuff demand . Man we need more competition on the fabs too :(

13. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Oh, another steam survey. Cant get enough of those.

Hypernaut likes this.
  14. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    I would love to see that data minus the INTEGRATED GPUs please

15. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    with intel 10600 series selling lower than 3600 on amazon, this is totally normal imho.

16. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    I recently watched a European news clip on Youtube with folks interviewed from Bosch and GF. I didn't even know Bosch makes microchips, but apparently they have a brand new factory in Dresden for automotive chips. In any case, GF, despite dropping out of the nm race, is working at full capacity as well. Of course if GF had built a new facility for 7nm, things would be different, but from a business point of view, they are currently doing just fine relying on the older nodes. What I find interesting is that Apple hasn't bothered to make their own chip fabrication plant. If you look at Apple's behavior from the last decade, or so, it has been taking steps to increase its independence from outside sources. But then again, things like TSMC 3nm could have been in a more distant future without Apple money pouring in.

Regardless, Bosch starting to make automotive chips is already a good step forward. It will lessen that pressure on TSMC, potentially. Since you don't build these facilities in a day, Bosch must have predicted the current situation developing years ago. Respectable.

Venix and Airbud like this.
  17. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Kind of interesting - AMD is selling mostly high-end chips, because the chiplet design allows them to make them more affordable. Intel, meanwhile, can only make low-end products affordable. Such a different world compared to 5 years ago.

I think Intel still commands the majority of laptop sales though AMD is getting real close. I think the only reason AMD hasn't surpassed Intel is because of supply issues. Intel's 11th gen mobile stuff is also actually worth getting. A couple months ago I got an 11th gen Intel laptop. It's been pretty solid, though, the Xe graphics aren't as good as I was expecting, which says a lot considering Intel's Linux drivers are much more mature.

18. Ivrogne

Ivrogne Master Guru

GPU:
    a GPU
    Good, we need AMD to not being too comfortable for the sake of competition. Its a win for us the consumer.

19. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    You're looking at total marketshare, not sales.
    That's like saying the 8-2 win from last night's game means team A is a better team even though B has been winning games almost every other year.

20. SamuelL421

SamuelL421 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 / RTX 5000
    Not too surprising - AMD has moved into the "premium" range and pulled everything in their product catalog up-market in terms of pricing (whether it is deserved from a performance standpoint or not...). Meanwhile Intel is capturing the entry market since it can reduce prices and still crank out a ton of chips from its own fabs where you've got few bottlenecks (stark contrast to TSMC).