Damaged 1060, need to source resistors and opinions on damage.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by sikator, Jul 3, 2021.

1. sikator

sikator Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6gb
    Hey, first post!
    Today i reseated my GPU and yes i missed the PCI slot and knocked off 2 resistors.
    I've sent a mail to gigabyte but idk if they will give me the info I need, and I also hoped for some experience and expertise on whether I killed the GPU or not during this because as it knocked off I didn't notice. I plugged it in and turned the pc on without any image on the screen. I doubt it's damaged more than the resistors but just in case.

I do have the resistors and as you can see on the image I tried carefully to solder them on but failed and the top resistor got stuck to the soldering iron for a couple seconds so I decided to leave it to a more experienced person with the right tools.
    The bottom resistor seemed to be good before my repair attempt but I guess new components would be the best?

FYI Yes there is solder on the pci pins, i wicked them so they are flat :S

GPU Model: GV-N1060WF2OC-6GD

Attached Files:

2. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Looks more likely to be a capacitor. Usually C letter before the number gives it away.
    Normally, when working with SMD components good flux and lead solder is required. And a pencil solder, microscope and steady hands.
    This is my former trade, to say so, as I leaved repairing (boards and electronics) behind.
    There are some forums (Russian) where schematics and board views are shared. Not naming those here or the ways or means of getting required files ( just put on your wooden leg and your eye patch and ahoy). Search your GPU model board view.
    https://openboardview.org/
    However, I can safely share the open source software tool to visualise those aforementioned files.
    Edit: Search for a repair shop with good references. Ask away, it may be cheaper to safely repair it than to risk further damage. In this day and global GPU inflation, is the safe bet.
    Good luck

sikator and AsiJu like this.
  3. sikator

sikator Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6gb
    Wow, being recommended to go to this forum on another forum and instantly i feel like I'm talking to a cool uncle. great. So I'm missing the lead solder which worried me and the thin soldering iron. Idk if the capacitors (Thanks for correcting that makes a lot of sense) are damaged or not. I will take a look around while I wait for more responses here and by gigabyte :)

4. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    @sikator Welcome here!
    Understand, I pointed out another forum to get more in depth details about surface components because on those forums is all that's about. Electronics and board repairs.
    Here, there is a broad spectrum of forum threads, but unfortunately nothing very precise for solving your problem.

Lead solder has a lower melting point, so when you deal with SMD, the less time you spend heating the pads or the components, the better. Heating those for longer, one risk lifting the pads from the board or damaging the components. As you may need just a few points of soldering, no issues here, but don't inhale the fumes.

Flux can make a huge difference when soldering something so small. Rosin is cheap (music store) or from a dried rough line board and dissolved in high alcohol. Cheap , functional flux even better that comercial ones. Search for rosin flux. Don't overspend.

The most important is the pencil solder.
    https://pine64.com/product/pinecil-smart-mini-portable-soldering-iron/
    Open source cheap functional soldering pencil.

AsiJu likes this.

5. sikator

sikator Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6gb
    Thank you! Well, I have some flux but I've been wanting to upgrade and learn more really. I have looked at the "KSGER STM32 V3.1S T12 Soldering Station" for a while and want to upgrade everything. The reason I haven't bought it yet is because I feel a bit lacking knowledge/understanding on the care taking side. I can buy some super cheap 30W one and some lead solder down the street but other than that I need to go online. This kind of community is lacking in Norway like most things, 5.5mill people ain't much for so much space haha.

I will try to find a forum which can answer my component question. I really hope gigabyte will come trough. I actually once repaired a Palit Jetstream 780ti after Palit gave me the component name of a resistor. I guess that's why I want to do these things too.

6. sikator

sikator Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6gb
    @anticupidon Actually, even if i just get the specs i could probably get a phone repair shop to solder them on.

anticupidon likes this.
  7. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Usually, the SMD capacitors are catalogued by size. A caliper can help. Searching for a specific size SMD capacitor narrows down a lot.

8. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    JUst incase of worse case, there's some 2060, 2060s, and 3060 cards out there, in uk they range from £450 - £600

9. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Just gonna add that there are tons of 1060s on ebay that are broken in the 30-70 dollar US range. I know that doesn't even come close to what this should cost if you can get capacitors alone, but if you cant find them, it may be a way to source some. Especially when the card might be going for 3x its price.

elite69 and anticupidon like this.
  10. sikator

sikator Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6gb
    Omg that's genious. I acutally found the exact card in my country for 35$! Quick question though. heres whats wrong with it haha and wiould that be a possible problem?
    Mine is rev 1.0 and this one seems to be rev 1.2 and is a 3gb model

Edit: added info and another picture

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 4, 2021

11. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Usually the revisions have better or worse MOSFETS and memory cells. And a tweaked firmware allowing more or less modification of voltages and other things.
    Less common to redesign whole GPU circuitry, it's more expensive.

sikator and AsiJu like this.
  12. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Yeah I'm fairly confident the basic PCB is the same on both revisions so you can get the spares from the other board.

And do have a professional do it, it will be a simple job for them and will cost way less than botching it up yourself.

Not to mention getting everything you'd need for the job will quickly cost more than paying a pro to do it.

And welcome to Guru3D!

anticupidon likes this.
  13. sikator

sikator Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6gb
    Here's a positive update! @AsiJu @anticupidon
    Yesterday I got a response from an email I forgot I sent to Retroservice. I came in and this guy did it for free... Not only that but he sat there with his brain of knowledge while I mined it for knowledge for a little over an hour to learn as much as I could about gear, techniques, components etc. This guy usually does started out and still does Commodores and Atari's and even newer gen consoles repairs, but mainly industrial stuff right now I believe.
    Now I got a soldering and fault finding course with him after the summer and I know pretty much what I want to buy for gear to get into soldering and such right now. I'll add some pics I took while he spent 1 hour+ soldering 2 components because I asked him every question I could :rolleyes: (Must be said he was excited and very happy to answer anything, really cool guy!)

Thanks a lot for the help and warm welcomes guys, my GTX 1060 lives!

>Here< are some pics I took.

Airbud, AsiJu, CrazY_Milojko and 2 others like this.
  14. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Awesome!
    Wow, what a great update!
    I always like to see hardware parts getting repaired.

sikator likes this.
  15. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Those JBC soldering irons are something I've miss the most from my former trade.
    I have now a standard Hakko 939 as a backup soldering station, but those JBC were the bomb.
    And the guy's gear is awesome. Nice microscope and soldering tools. A pro choice overall of one's gear.

Airbud and sikator like this.