End-user manages to install FidelityFX Super Resolution in GTA V and shares it as mod

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 2, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    fsr is gonna kill dlss by being effortlessly implemented into majority of games

3. ViperAnaf

ViperAnaf Guest

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3080 OC
    lol look at the video - it looks like a blurry mess.... The only way its going to "kill" DLSS is if more poor people will convince themselves its actually working...

nizzen and MegaFalloutFan like this.
  4. The biggest disadvantage of FSR is the lack of actually adding any information to the image. It simply "enhances" the information already there, including all possible artifacts, aliasing etc. From marketing point of view, DLSS and FSR may seem comparable, but in fact, they are not. Even UE's temporal reconstruction and most temporal injection techniques add more information to the image than FSR.

MegaFalloutFan likes this.

5. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    he is using directx11 mode too

6. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    Yeah from what am seeing, it uses some edge detection and applies blur to it, then sharpens the edges it blurs and adds
    just a tad bit of contrast to make it look like its better than native. I know, bluring something just to make it sharp again sounds retarded but ey, people think fsr is new too so.
    If someone did those three things sequentially in reshade or enb, there's your fsr. I don't really know why it took this much to come this far(which ain't far).

This technique is used when tryina' make a digital camera look like it was shot on film. Absolutely the same technique gives a
    really unique character to the image. But it won't even come close to what nvidia did with their thing. I'm still stunned by what DLSS is capable of.

7. Merlena

Merlena Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 3070 8G
  8. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    the irony of my statement is,since fsr was announced/launched,nvidia integrated or announced dlss into more triple A games than amd did with fsr.
    fsr is still useful imo,pixel for pixel it's better to have fsr running at let's say 60 fps than downscale native to hit 60.

but at this point being able to use it with geforce is the biggest advantage,and it says a lot when me as a 1070 owner will definitely find it more useful than someone who bought a rx6000.
    the list of fsr games is very short and doesn't look like that seamless integration argument is gonna work anytime soon.

it's kinda hilarious seeing people throwing tantrums and quitting watching DigitalFoundry for not mentioning it runs on nvidia.
    expectations for fsr were pretty much limited to "at least it runs on everything" after launch.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2021
  9. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    This was done by an amateur, basically to show that FSR can be easily added to a game. But, on the other hand, I think it's a disservice to FSR as it's not done by AMD themselves and could be poorly optimized both in terms of framerate and image quality. Besides, bashing.....er, basing FSR just on this with YT compression and all is just....well, take what you want from it I guess.

Some of us are fully aware that FSR can NEVER match DLSS 2.0 and later iterations of it, but it does provide a framerate boost to games that properly support the feature on both older AMD card as well as Pascal and Maxwell cards (which nVidia seemed to have forgotten about).

AlmondMan likes this.
  10. Martin2603PL

Martin2603PL Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    Some people need to clean they brain, and finally understand that FSR is shader method.
    When Nvidia DLSS has AI calculations and dedicated seperate cores just for that.
    It's like comparing little car that does 60KM/s max for some to new super sport fast 400KM/s Ferrari with Nitro Boost and Atomic Rocket Fuel

11. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    dlss can run on shader cores
    it's just a much more complex approach from start to finish.
    amd taking this long to produce a spatial upscaler is a sign of RTG's hardware and software teams not working in unison.rx6000 cards are absolutely amazing from an engineering point of view.But then the software/driver team takes forever to catch up to the same level.

12. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    He's not talking about the shader cores. Ever heard of shading?
    Reality is that FSR is so stupid, that when devs over at reshade.me take a look at its code, they'll implement it as a shader, which you can add to every damn game that supports reshade which is almost every dx9/10/11 game.

13. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    yeah I know what you mean now.

14. Ssateneth

Ssateneth Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 980
    It is only comparing the built-in GTA upscaler to the new AMD upscaler. The input resolution is 0.5x in both, of course they are going to appear blurry. But if I had to choose between one or the other, I'd pick the AMD upscaler. It isn't any more detailed than the built in upscaler, but it is less fuzzy without any noticeable halo effect from sharpening filters.

15. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    it's great that it exists but outside of those two scenarios : 1) I have a kickass 4K tv 2) I bought the wrong monitor for my hardware
    picture quality minded people don't care about upscaling
    after benchmarking I forgot to force anisotropic x16 and texture filtering high quality in nvidia drivers again and omg the blur o_O

personal rant : as a longtime modder (15+ years) a bit annoying that nvidia and amd are trying to market their filters as "new features" when I have been using ENB (kind of reshade ancestor) since 2011....10 years ago

16. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    whatever it is, its still direct competition to the nvidia method, so itll get compared just the same.

cucaulay malkin likes this.
  17. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    Did you watch the video? With FSR on it's way sharper than without it. I think you might have confused the big red "OFF" letters on the left with FSR ON.

insp1re2600 likes this.
  18. seth

seth New Member

GPU:
    R9 270X 4GB
    You have two options.
    1. Use it
    2. Don't use it

Simple as that.
    Personally i'll give it a shot.

19. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    We really need this in every game.

chispy likes this.
  20. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    it's going slow as molasses,the expectations were too high as always,"fsr is gonna kill dlss".
    for triple-A titles,the way things look like at the moment we can only expect fsr to be part of amd-sponsored games from ubisoft and capcom.
    instead of running around telling how awesome it is that it works on gtx1060 amd should rather think about catering for rx6000 buyers,that's what puts candy in the bag.