Microsoft: why TPM chips are required for Windows 11

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 28, 2021.

1. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
  2. TieSKey

TieSKey Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx870m 3Gb
    ------------------------------

I don't see how that's relevant. If a computer virus/attack exploits a bug in a security tech, all are equally vulnerable to it. What's the benefit I get for forcing other people to adopt such exploited tech? If anything, that could be an argument for updates but not for forced adoption of yet questionable "security" measures.

3. Margalus

Margalus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus 3060 Ti
    Microsoft needs to come out now and flat out say TPM is not required. If for no other reason than to screw all of the scalpers that bought up all of the stock.

4. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    The only way to get the least exploited tech is to get the latest versions of everything and use all the security features it comes with.

Venix likes this.

5. Zooke

Zooke Master Guru

GPU:
    3090FE + EK Block
    This sounds like a line straight out of the marketing 101 book, and whilst it may be technically true, different users have different risk factors.
    Sometimes, some people deliberately overstate risk without putting it into perspective in order to frighten ordinary people into (in this quoted case) buying new items.
    I have no faith that TPM being required is beneficial to me as an everyday person with a pc at home, which leads me to believe it will be of benefit to the people pushing it.

And yes, I am a fully signed up member of the tin-hat brigade.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2021
    alanm likes this.
  6. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    Why do people rush to buy tpm modules ? The os is not officially out already :/

7. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    so as a requirement they ask a module that 0.00001% of desktop computers have and that you cannot buy
    good luck with your adoption rate of 0.00001% Microsoft
    there's no availability because no one cared about those till Win11, they would require an RTX 3000 it would have more customers

8. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Yes, TPM may not benefit the average Joe. Think what is attempting to be addressed is that the work from home force is here to stay to a greater extent than before. Would think it would be cheaper for the organization to allow TPM based machines onto their network than issuing laptops to everyone. In the same vein as the whole bring your own phone environment gets locked down. It could be play nicer for cloud based services as well that at least some minimum floor is in place. My work just switched its accounting software to a cloud based solution hosted by aws. The grant management software is also cloud based now and also hosted by aws. Do not think these win 11 security minded requirements are in place for the benefit of the the average Joe.

9. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    FOMO

Venix likes this.
  10. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    The greatest misunderstanding is that people think they need to buy TPM modules.

11. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    Only a handful of people have systems built after late 2017. Financial crisis is real, because it doesn't affect some of you that doesn't mean we live in Mars.

12. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Like all those people that don't wanna buy a new PC for a more crippled UI upon the same kernel, libs and services? Or people that don't wanna secure boot, tpm and other bullshits that outside sensible devices is just headache in case of hardware substitution, older devices, system restore and other stuff?

13. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Fair enough, but what I'm saying is that for the vast majority (especially if they support 1.2 as they say), it's just a BIOS setting change, without any extra cost.
    So, either ride with Windows 10 until 2025, and then Linux it? I don't understand being so opinionated about an OS that isn't customisable to begin with. I can see what you don't like about it, and I actually see what is frustrating about it, but in the end, Windows is Microsoft's product. They do what they do with it, and that affects their sales.

In your place, I would have jumped already. Due to work I basically interact with every common OS pretty much daily. My current favourite is Arch with KDE on a mix similar to macOS with some tiling window manager scripts on top, all installed on btrfs.

It's by far the best workstation setup I've ever had, the most customisable, and almost as consistent as macOS.

Windows I have to directly boot into Steam bit picture, but Windows is also the best performing OS for the desktop.

14. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    we are talking about a PC operating system not a videogame or shitphone. rising requirement for optional stuff using enterprise issues as excuse is just for selling new useless systems. People still use Windows for 3 reasons: it is preinstalled on non-expensive/apple bullshit, it is still the best OS (let's see how much long) for retro-compatibility, runs games without headaches.
    With this non-technical requirements, which are just marketing bullshit, are killing the second reason as first and will kill the third, starting with less recent games and game devices.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2021
    mackintosh and KissSh0t like this.
  15. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    The NSA doesn't need a TPM in order to look through your pirated games and downloaded pr0n.

16. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    the shitphones have arguably a better OS, since they basically started when all the big lessons where learned. Wanna bet it won't matter at all in the end, and (if anything), they will even raise their desktop share at the end? I have heard literally the same thing even for more useless jumps, like the one from Windows 2000 to XP.

17. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    the OS is the same. they lifted/crippled a bit more the GUI. between XP/Vista jump there were many years of hw requirement stagnation and there were dramatic changes in the entire os, not only the gui. Between last version of 10 (which already have higher requirements than RTM, they rised them many times) and this "11" there is basically only the GUI. And we are not talking about hardware performances, but an underhand requirement that has nothing to do with consumer upgrades.

pharma and DmitryKo like this.
  18. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    They were roughly $25....until the scalpers bought them all.

Every consumer that owns a Ryzen 2000 series or new CPU, or an Intel 8th gen or new Core processor.....has an fTPM that is supported.... Given the sales figures of those processors alone, there are far more people that meet the TPM requirement, than own RTX3000 graphics cards....

For me, that may be the only option since I can't enable the AMD fTPM after changing motherboards for some reason....

pharma likes this.
  19. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Isn't that a motherboard issue? I thought that the fTPM option was inside a menu controlled by AMD actually.

20. Nicked_Wicked

Nicked_Wicked Master Guru

GPU:
    6900XT
    Maybe it doesn’t show up or enable because he doesn’t have UEFI enabled or a MBR partition. Stuff like 4G decoding and fTPM automatically enable UEFI for me on a GB board.