Check if your PC is compatible with the Microsoft Windows 11 tool

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 25, 2021.

1. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    https://blogs.windows.com/windows-i...te-on-windows-11-minimum-system-requirements/

“We are confident that devices running on Intel 8th generation processors and AMD Zen 2 as well as Qualcomm 7 and 8 Series will meet our principles around security and reliability and minimum system requirements for Windows 11. As we release to Windows Insiders and partner with our OEMs, we will test to identify devices running on Intel 7th generation and AMD Zen 1 that may meet our principles. We’re committed to sharing updates with you on the results of our testing over time, as well as sharing additional technical blogs.”

2. DmitryKo

DmitryKo Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock RX 7800 XT
    They will actually lose market share if Windows 10 users switch to Android and iOS/macOS devices, instead of upgrading to Windows 11 or buying a new Windows 11 device. This is what steadily happened to Windows market share since the release of Windows 8 in 2012, and it only stopped last year.

'Pro'/'Busness' versions of Windows include downgrade rights, so people buying a Windows device can order a Pro version (or Anytime-upgrade their Home version) and then legitimately install any lesser edition of a previous (or current) version.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2021
  3. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    They have raised the hardware floor from requiring nothing, to needing a TPM, a DX12 driver, and CPUs with hardware mitigations for sideloading attacks, hardware virtualization support and 64bit.

I can even imagine their Git server doing a "crack" when all that is lifted off on the Windows 11 repo. It means that they can trust the hardware to have a minimum spec, and they don't need to go around it for a ton of stuff.

Most users are laptop users actually, and they can keep their OS until 2025. If anything, I would say that Microsoft will gain even more user share by doing this in the long run, especially considering being able to run Android apps seamlessly.

4. DmitryKo

DmitryKo Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock RX 7800 XT
    You seem to think that if they require x64 and WDDM 2.0, anything related to 32-bit and WDDM 1.0 can be removed from the OS. It doesn't work this way. New kernel interfaces are typically an extension, not a replacement, of the old interfaces, and 32-bit components still need to be maintained to support backward compatibility (WOW64).

Virtualization introduces additional layers of abstraction to the existing implementation.

I don't think disqualifying half of current users from updating would really make them rush and buy a new Windows 11 laptop.

This just sends the wrong kind of message - if Microsoft can arbitrarily cut off new PCs released just a few years ago, it makes sense to hold on to your existing device, and wait until vendors come up with a definitive cross-platform version of their security extensions...

5. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    A lot of it is mindshare, getting people to want to use the ecosystem; pushing Windows 11 goes hand in hand with pushing Office and their other subscription crap, because that's what it effectively does.

Don't forget they're pushing hard for their Win store to become an actually used source for software, if that works out all their subscriptions combined will be a drop in the bucket compared to the revenue from having an actually popular app store.

Think of Win 11 as the bait.

6. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Then Apple has been sending the wrong message for years. Upgrading to the newest OS has typically cutoff hardware of one kind or another with them. Microsoft is attempting the same model. Everyone is out to copy the Apple playbook because of how successful it has become. Will see over time how it turns out.

7. DmitryKo

DmitryKo Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock RX 7800 XT
    When did Apple cut off devices released only two years ago? As I pointed out above, their macOS 12 'Monterey' still supports 2013-2015 Intel Macs. All of sudden Microsoft is playing 'Apple to the extreme', for no obvious reason.

8. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    WDDM 1.x support and 32-bit os stuff is still present and the second hardly will be removed for retro-compatibility (which is the reason why Microsoft still exists). It is time to no more provide 32-bit versions of libs and executable stuff for newer and upgraded components for sure. There is no reason to remove 32-bit components support for older OS stuff since they dont need to be changed at all (worst case they need an automated-updated sign, which microsoft can do it without pay nothing).

Last edited: Jun 30, 2021
    PrMinisterGR likes this.
  9. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    A little confused here. 8000 intel cpus were from late 2017, 2000 series Ryzen cpus are from early 2018, DX12 gpus go back to Keppler and R_ 200 series. What 2 year-old tech is being referred to?

PrMinisterGR likes this.
  10. DmitryKo

DmitryKo Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock RX 7800 XT
    Though Zen+ desktop CPU parts were released in Fall 2018, APU and mobile parts were released later in Spring / Summer 2019.

Thus any Zen+ laptop, nettop, or all-in-one released in 2019 would not qualify for Windows 11 released in 2021.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2021

11. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    The size of this demographic is tiny. @Alessio1989 explained better than me all about the old libraries.

12. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    I see what you are saying. Think the blame should fall on AMD to some degree. Any Zen+, which is 2000 series, would qualify. The APUs that launched when Zen+ was released were based off of first generation Ryzen. Never understood why the APUs lagged one increment behind. They should have been instep with the current cpu architecture.

13. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    The Windows Store needs a lot of work, I wonder if MS can get it to be popular considering that they now include even more mobile crap, personally I prefer to have the few MS "exclusive" games I want to have on PC via Steam.
    The 365 sub is not all bad btw. 5 family users with full access and 1TB cloud storage each, only thing that I think sucks is that they don't use a uniform between different platforms, like on a MAC the Outlook app is crap while the OWA version is much better.
    Even on enterprise managed machines that run with older outlook versions I prefer OWA with it's additional features (and no, not focused inbox, to hell with that).

Denial likes this.
  14. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
  15. DmitryKo

DmitryKo Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock RX 7800 XT
    Yep. 32-bit libraries cannot be removed - nor can they be really changed because this can break compatibility in non-obvious ways.

Not yet. 32-bit target platform is still supported in the Windows SDK and the Visual C++ compiler, and new application SDKs like DirectX 12 Agillity, AI.DirectML and Windows App / WinUI3 (previously Project Reunion) support downlevel Windows 10 version 1809, so they have to support 32-bit development as well.

Old 32-bit libraries are here to stay for the next 15 years at a minimum.

The share of Zen+ laptops may be tiny, the share of all disqualified sytems is far from tiny by any means.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2021

16. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    yeah I saw agility IA32 :\
    they said even on EAP before 10 RTM they will remove soonish the 32-bit updated versions. never happened :\

17. DmitryKo

DmitryKo Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock RX 7800 XT
    I thought the latest Microsoft blog post says they require 'devices running on Intel 8th generation processors and AMD Zen 2', i.e. Ryzen 3000-series desktop CPUs and 4000-series APUs, and 4000/5000-series mobile processors.

At the same time, the OEM documentation does list some Zen+ processors - so the message hasn't gotten any clearer.

I was talking about Zen+ APUs, the 3000 series released in Summer 2019.

Well, it does look like AMD systems are more problematic - the virtualisation options required for enablinh Hypervisor-enforced Code Integrity (HVCI) aka Device Security - Memory Integrity are often not available or not enabled in the motherboard's UEFI settings even with the latest Zen 3 processors, whereas the Intel Skylake, Skylake X and Kaby Lake are far more considtent.

You can see which options are available on your system if you open the 'Windows PowerShell (Admin)' shortcut by right-clicking the Start menu and run the commands below:

$Win32_DeviceGuard = Get-CimInstance -Namespace ROOT\Microsoft\Windows\DeviceGuard -ClassName Win32_DeviceGuard
    $Win32_DeviceGuard.AvailableSecurityProperties

Security properties include 0 None, 1 Hypervisor, 2 Secure Boot, 3 DMA protection (IOMMU), 4 Secure Memory Overwrite Request, 5 NX protection, 6 SMM mitigations, 7 Mode Based Execution Control / Guest-Mode Execute Trap, 8 APIC virtualisation.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2021
    PrMinisterGR likes this.