Athlon XP 2500+ Barton at 200mhz CPU Freq.

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by JayBoy, Dec 4, 2003.

1. JayBoy

JayBoy Guest

When I set it to 200mhz is Bios, it locks up when windows starts, I want to get this PC3200 ram to use, any help would be appreciated.

2. galonzo

galonzo Guest

prob have to apply a little more voltage, but make sure you have some cooling action going on, or at least some type of temp. monitor

3. fallenx

fallenx Guest

GPU:
    Galaxy 8800GT
    The Barton operates at 166mhz fsb stock. By doing so (without changing the multiplier) your OCing. Aside from ram there would be 2 possible limiting factors.

Your motherboard. Though if your using the Rev 2.0 version this really shouldn't be a factor, also many non rev 2.0 could OC to this speed.

Your CPU operating speed is calculated by multiplier x fsb (multiplier is 11 stock on Barton2500) So increasing your fsb would infact be increasing your CPU speed as well to 2200ghz (equal to a 3200XP) In order to do so you need proper cooling and perhaps a little voltage (as mentioned) to help. Otherwise you can try dropping your multiplier if you have an unlocked chip.

4. JayBoy

JayBoy Guest

I've heard many stories of people running at 3200+ speeds usiing only stock cooling, so I tried it out myself.

5. vncntchn

vncntchn Master Guru

GPU:
    128MB ATi R9800PRO
    Stock doesn't quite cut it.. all you need is a better cooler and that's it.

Using a Thermaltake SLK800-U, I can run 3200+ at stock voltage stable, but I tend to run it a little slower because it's cooler. I have a rheobus so I set all my fans at the lowest possible voltage for them to spin. I like the peace and quiet :p. 2Ghz right now, 10x200, 35C idle, "Dell silent" :D (loudest thing I have is my harddrive.. WD 80GB, thinking about getting a Seagate).

BTW, I have the AQXEA stepping.

6. JayBoy

JayBoy Guest

I'm kind of scared about switching fans, what do you exactly have to do?

7. KillaBug

KillaBug Guest

GPU:
    GeForceFX 5900U
    If your not confident about changing the cpu cooler, don't. Although it is not hard at all, I would suggest researchin quite a bit before you start ripping your tower open.

8. JayBoy

JayBoy Guest

Well, the thing is, I put the computer together. I took a look at my fan(I have a case with a clear side panel) and saw four screws, by unscrewing them, can I just screw a new fan on? And should I remove the CPU while doing tthis?

9. fallenx

fallenx Guest

GPU:
    Galaxy 8800GT
    Your stock cooling should consist of both a fan and a heatsink. Which you can replace either or both of.

What are you current temps?

10. JayBoy

JayBoy Guest

Idle I get about 36 degrees, I'm not ure about full load but I'm guessing it's a few notches higher. I'm getting some new fans, some watrecooling a bit later.

11. AnarchyX

AnarchyX Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 9800 NP -> Pro (412/790)
    I got rid of my barton 2500+ cause my TBred 2100+ blows it away. If you want 200mhz FSB then i suggest you drop your ram timing to like 3-3-3-8 or so...

And increase voltage :)

12. clkProject

clkProject Master Guru

SOME DUDE I FORGOT NAME SEZ:
    double-yoo-tee-eff

thats messed up... and it makes me very sad...

your underqualified doctor,
    clkProject

13. vncntchn

vncntchn Master Guru

GPU:
    128MB ATi R9800PRO
    Thunda, my 2500 blows your 2100 away :p.
    Can't touch this, hehe :D.

And I have the bonus of the extra cache :)

14. KillaBug

KillaBug Guest

GPU:
    GeForceFX 5900U
    So you put the computer together yourself but you don't know how to change out a cpu cooler? Did I miss something along the way?

15. Nerdy

Nerdy Guest

my 2500 baron even worst it did not want to go to anything higher than 166, thanks to this forum I am running it at 210mhzx11 right now at 55C idle with stock HS/F ...a little hot if you asked me but I am either burn it n or burn it out because AMD locked at 11 mutilplier [that knock out my plan of reachig 3ghz with peltier + water cool setup I already bought...:mad: ]...anyone know how to unlock this 2500 barton to get 12or 13 mutilier please help.....
    I am using abit mobo with APIC off....:D

16. griffin_t

griffin_t New Member

GPU:
    BFG 7900GT OC @ 554/1600
    Strange...

That's pretty hot ... 55c is like...cripes.

I'm running a Barton 2500 on an A7V600 (yes, VIA chipset, woo hoo. Not.) but I've got the CPU going at 2200mhz (11x200) and I'm running it at only 1.65v. Idles at 36c, tops out at around 42, usually less. Mind you it's not stock cooling, but it's not great cooling either, just a Thermaltake Volcano (9?) set on 'medium' for 5100rpms - put Arctic Silver on the CPU/Heatsink tho. Also I don't have -any- fans in the case. None, zip, zero. The PSU has 3 though. Heh. For all the good that does me.