Check if your PC is compatible with the Microsoft Windows 11 tool

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 25, 2021.

1. Babel-17

Babel-17 Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4080
    Microsoft created the impression that Windows 10 would be around "forever", and after they did that a lot of CPUs were purchased, that we now are to understand will only be supported until 2025. The European Union might end saying something about that. I can see Microsoft being compelled to release something like a "Windows 11 LHE", LHE standing for legacy hardware edition. Or more simply, Windows 11 LE. A "Windows 10.5", which provided an upgrade path for all Windows 10 users after 2025 might also be a possibility, imo. Basically just Windows 10, with features locked, and the only focus on updates being for security reasons. No "DX13", unless MS wanted to provide it.

Gamers should be OK with that, as Steam and everyone else would have no problem supporting "Windows 10.5", and it's hard to imagine even bleeding edge games not supporting DX12, even if released well into the generation of "DX13" gaming.

Microsoft is being Microsoft, and just goading the masses into seeing value and/or necessity in seeking to get onboard with their new OS. Talk of compatibility issues creates a buzz.

Had Microsoft simply said "We're relabeling Windows 10 to Windows 11, and adding some cool features", which is all most consumers would notice after Windows 11 landed, not as much attention would get paid to them, especially as the upgrade is free to those with Windows 10.

Microsoft might even being playing a game of "Sorry, you don't qualify for this", and counting on people later feeling lucky when they learn that they do.

One last thing. I'll say again that Microsoft is responsible for people thinking that Windows 10 would always be around. If after 2025 millions of unsupported Windows 10 devices become ridden with malware, and bad things happen, a lot of lawyers might see cause to take Microsoft to court over the costs resulting from that. Microsoft isn't staffed by idiots, and I think they'd want to avoid bad publicity by the simple expedient of continuing with security updates.

Microsoft wasn't obligated to maintain XP as long as they did, but the bad publicity of XP PCs getting taken over by malware compelled them to keep extending support. With Windows 10 they are likely, imo, to also be on the hook to keep extending the deadline for support, at least for security patches and Windows Defender virus/malware definition updates. Their reasons would be somewhat different, but in the end it would come down to the court of public opinion.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_XP#Support_lifecycle

Last edited: Jun 26, 2021
  2. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Just disabled TPM again, so they can't just upgrade me one day to another :p

Exodite likes this.
  3. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    they already patched the tpm and cpuid check. it's only a metter of time MS officially removing that crap.

4. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    Just doing some research on this for Gigabyte Mobos and have learned something from just reading on this page. https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GC-TPM20_S#ov

Why on earth we need military-grade encryption on basically gaming systems is beyond me. Like seriously who here has ever used Bitlocker on a home gaming system?

Yes the module is pretty cheap but do they expect us to buy one and then have to install it ourselves? That would be such a Pita and 90% of PC users wouldn't be comfortable doing the install. So Win 11 would be dead in the water before even being released.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2021

5. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    Also there is a lot of board with ability to have dedicated TPM module, if there is a TPM 2.0 module aviable then you can run older CPU with W11.

6. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    TPM encryption can also be used up against Azure and is most probably aimed to be used up against Microsoft 365 and other MS online services in time.
    Claims are, that locally stored credential are safer that way.

7. Perjantai

Perjantai Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF RTX3080
    Downloading this tool from Windows 11 promotion page works. https://aka.ms/GetPCHealthCheckApp
    Program linked in news article did not work for me.

8. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    A simple .WIM swap has 11 installed on my rp5700 test box. All of the restrictions (for now) are soft/artificial.

9. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    you can also install it on a virtual machine with a VHD disk and than clone the vhd image into a the phisical disk...

10. Clifton Harding Jr

Clifton Harding Jr Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 FE 8GB x2
    I've never knowingly used TPM before, but I checked its stats by running 'tpm.msc' and it was not installed. Went into BIOS and selected 'SECURE BOOT'. When the machine recycles TPM will automatically install (TPM 2.0). After the machine came back up I ran the tool again and failed. The failure boils down to the fact that my monitors are not HDR. So, if I want to run the fabulous Win 11, on my machine I'll have to expend to $$ and get 2 HDRxx monitors. Since Win10 is still viable for the next 4 yrs, and I'm an olde man( 76 ), I just might say To *&^% With It.

Intel i7-7700K
    2 x Nvidia GTX1070FE (8GB)
    Crucial Technology 16GB ram ( 2 x 8GB sticks)
    EVGA Gold 1600 PSU
    SAMSUNG SyncMaster S24B240
    Gateway HD2201

11. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Wouldn't it be you're cpu that is failing the "compatibility checker" application?

I don't have a hdr monitor, just a crappy benq 1920x1080

There are people actually running the leaked build of Windows 11 and the compatibility checker says their systems are not compatible, even though they are running it.

12. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 VENTUS OC
    my monitor is not HDR but the tool still went through? you sure you don't have TPM 1.2 or something?

13. Flakman

Flakman Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Tool says my i7 7700k fails the check. When I look at the min specs it says an X64 core 2, 1 Gig cpu. Which is correct?

14. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
  15. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    you can use DISM++ to directly apply the WIM to an existing windows install.

16. KarenP

KarenP Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080 FE 8 GB
    I had to hunt the TPM down in the BIOS but once that happened, I was able to not only pass all the tests but install Windows 11 from a leaked ISO that was shielded from Microsoft's DMCA.

My take on Windows 11: it's mostly a side-upgrade from 10, with mainly cosmetic changes. I do like the new Start Menu, it's much cleaner and better formatted. The system is speedy and efficient, but nothing major over 10 either. Also have to say all my software still works, including RivaTuner SS beta 7.3.2. Well done. :)

There's another Windows 11 readiness tool that give a little more info. It's called WhyNotWin11 and it's available on GitHub. I'm not giving a link because as of yesterday, SmartScreen was blocking it. But it's safe to run, the .exe isn't signed.

why not 112.PNG

17. toyo

toyo Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070Ti 8G
    I find it quite insane that Skylake-X CPUs from 2018 are not even supported. 9980XE? Yup, 2018, not on the list. Yet 2019 10980XE is supported?
    What am I missing? People that paid 2K for a CPU, regardless how bad of a choice, just to find it not supported by an OS 3 years later?

18. DmitryKo

DmitryKo Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock RX 7800 XT
    This list is originally intended for system builders who want yo qualify for the 'Certified for Windows' logo. It's likely just systems which succesfully passed WHCP/WHLK testing - so if you're an OEM and want to use a different processor, first you need to get it tested by Microsoft.

The 'Minimum Hardware Requirements' PDF document also mentions a 'supported processor generation list', but still links to the above list of supported processor models.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
  19. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    my best guess?
    although they are practicly the same the one diff. (same with - support for the 10980xe but not 7980xe while they are esentially the same chip.), is that:

Meltdown/Spectre has been fixed on Intel® 10th generation XE processors. (in silicon)..

so, like i wrote before a page back or so, i think M$ is really pushing this to make it an Safe platform like MacOS..
    TPM 2.0 and in HW Meltdown/Spectre mitigations shure look slike it..

but i dont know really, its just what i think after reading a lot and looking what could be the reason for this requirements..

Spectre/Meltdown was Januar 2018 by the way ;)

and AMD also had problems around that time with its fTPM impementaion. And infineon also shipped bad TPM chips, wich was also an incident.. *just throwing that out there^^

Best Regards

Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
    PrMinisterGR likes this.
  20. rcole134

rcole134 Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    They are supported. They just aren't listed because the 10 series is. For reference, I'm using a i9 7900x and I passed no problem once I had enabled PTT in my BIOS. That list is kind of a red herring. (distraction)

toyo likes this.