Check if your PC is compatible with the Microsoft Windows 11 tool

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 25, 2021.

1. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I wasn't sure if the OwnerAuth is meant to be shared so I blacked it out.

[​IMG]

*edit*

Just as I posted this multiple instances of the PC Health Check Tool all popped up at the same time.

G G Microsoft 10 out of 10 programming.

It took them 18 minutes to appear after clicking on it to run multiple times.

*editit*

all good.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
    Undying likes this.
  2. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    I was an early adopter of Windows 8 and windows 10 but I don't think I will be for W11.

Airbud and TheDeeGee like this.
  3. Hog54

Hog54 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Tuf RTX 3070
    What a stupid tool if it fails when all motherboards have TPM off by default and most people never use it like me.

4. Burgurne

Burgurne Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming GTX980Ti
    Well, is Windows 11 only for AMD CPU's? I have an Intel like this:
    Mobo: MSI MEG Z490 ACE
    CPU: Core i9 10850K
    RAM: 32 Gbyte G.Skill TridentZ RGB Series 4000Mhz CL16
    NVMe: Samsung 970 EVO 500Gbyte, Adata XPG GAMMIX S11 Pro 1Tbyte, Adata XPG GAMMIX S11 Pro 2Tbyte
    Graphic: MSI RTX 3090 Gaming X Trio

My PC is NOT able to run Windows 11.
    In BIOS in the security section, I have a TPM setting that can be either PTT or dTPM

What shall I upgrade? My coffeemachine??

5. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    Imma start building another pc in September anyways. Hoping for a £800 3080 :oops:

6. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    dTPM is "discrete TPM". So a dedicated TPM module. Nobody has that, so choose PTT, which is the built-in TPM support of Intel CPUs.

I suppose that by the time W11 becomes even remotely relevant (like maybe 2 years from now,) this stuff will have been sorted out.

7. mackintosh

mackintosh Maha Guru

GPU:
    This tool is nothing but a marketing gimmick trying to fool people into thinking their PCs aren't compatible. Or MS are just incompetent at designing a basic compatibility checker. Hanlon's razor?

Alessio1989, TheDeeGee and DannyD like this.
  8. Burgurne

Burgurne Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming GTX980Ti
    Thank you for info, RealNC. :)

PTT is the default setting, so I have not changed it.

9. Vitloken

Vitloken Member

GPU:
    Zotac 1080 Ti@7%OC
    On my ASRock x570 Pro4 running bios 4.0 i hade to do the following.
    OSB: Don't do if Bitlocker is on.
    Enter UEFI: Save current settings to a profile. Backup.
    Go to Advanced tab, then Cpu Config. Enable AMD fTPM switch.
    Go to Advanced tab, then Trusted Computing and Enable if disabled. (i normally do that without thinking. Disabling all i don't use)
    Then Go to Security tab, Then Secure Boot, then set secure boot to standard.
    Save and reboot go in to the UEFI or try boot windows. In UEFI you now should under the Advanced tab -> Trusted Computing that a TPM device is installed and info about it.
    I have turned the fTPM off again to see if i can get to test the latest dev 10 builds without the not working GUI. (My opinion)
    You can verify TPM on or off in windows using tpm.msc from run or shell/terminal.

10. Biffo

Biffo Active Member

GPU:
    ati
    All four of my latest builds with latest hardware, memory, etc. won't run Win 11, WOW!

11. Margalus

Margalus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus 3060 Ti
    The cpu is the problem for most people. Windows 11 requires an 8000 series or newer intel or ryzen 2000 or newer for AMD. It doesn't matter how good your cpu is, all that matters is the age...

12. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    why do I feel like this TPM thing is going to cause people to fudge their PCs up?

13. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Just enabled AMD fTPM in BIOS and then disabled the setting below it (which would lock you files if you switch CPU!) and now everything is fine and the health check passes no problem.

14. JOHN30011887

JOHN30011887 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4070Ti
    For my Asus Z390-F motherboard all i had to do was change the Discrete TPM to Firmware TPM and that made the tool say im ready for windows 11 :)

If you cant find where the setting is then use the search option on the bios, thats what i did, put tpm in search and it found the setting i need to change

Cant wait to test direct storage, good thing iv ditched hdd's for Nvme ssd's only build, os 1tb samsung and two sabrent (tlc) 4tb for games only,
    i bet thats the next thing people will hate that you need at least 1tb nvme

15. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    The tool when you first run it...

2021-06-25 18_37_36-PC Health Check.png

And after you enable Intel PTT (or AMDs fTPM):

2021-06-25 18_56_34-PC Health Check.png

Hope that puts an end to those freaking out about not being able to run W11.

Passus and CPC_RedDawn like this.

16. SHS

SHS Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    Keep in mind people your mother board may not have the build in TPM Module is it something you buy and plug in to mother board TPM Socket Header as the actual module that is 'sold separately" with Asus, ASRock and many other motherboard manufactured
    And you have to have Secure Boot enabled as well some other stuff I would missing around in the bios as you could very well kill your Windows installation

17. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    Only those who threw money the last 1-4 years are not freaking out. Happy discrimination.

18. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    Secure boot is not enabled here, nothing except ftpm x570 board

19. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    I will be an early adopter if they release it with both DirectStorage and auto HDR from the get go. Along with other DirectX 12 Ultimate and WDDM 3.0+ upgrades.

My PC is Win 11 ready after i enabled the fTPM on my Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master . The mobo is super new and came with all the right bios settings for Rebar and now Win 11 after i turned the fTPM to enable.

I don't like being an early adopter but i think it's worth it if these technologies are included from the start.

My only issue will be, do i do a fresh install or do we have to upgrade like what happened with Win 7 - Win 10.

20. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    no, it requires an SSE 4.1 cpu (untested lower like SSE3/SSE3S). those are just installer uselss and wrong checks for matkering reasons (like forcing you to buy a new pc when gpus cost up 3 time more their real value), "great time to buy a new pc" my ass microsoft!