Microsoft will announce Windows 11 today, you can watch the announcement here

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 24, 2021.

1. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    You can disable PTT after install.

Spets likes this.
  2. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    That's good to know :D

3. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I wonder if the release of Windows 11 will lead to cheaper SSD's?

4. Babel-17

Babel-17 Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4080
    I'm happy to see my hunch, that the update would be free, confirmed. If my current PC lasts then it looks like it can be my gaming box for a long time indeed. I'll be very happy if Windows 11 is just an evolution and repackaging of Windows 10, and it doesn't have worse overhead. And the cherry on top is if, as a gamer, I don't suffer any loss in functionality by waiting a year or more for Microsoft to get Windows 11 at least as reliable, and at least as amenable to my taming it, as it is now.

Ideally, it would be Windows 10 made a bit more inherently stable and secure, with less overhead for gaming, more Direct X features (also available to Windows 10 users), and with optional improvements to the GUI.

If this is Microsoft using a new Windows release to get the spotlight shone on themself, then I'm fine with that, especially if I get free goodies. I'm sure that the European Union will be watching for any funny business.

5. Volteron

Volteron Master Guru

GPU:
    2080ti sli
    Will usb tpm modules work with windows 11?

6. Babel-17

Babel-17 Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4080
    Though I think I used the Search feature in the BIOS for "TPM", as "fTPM" didn't get me what I wanted.
    It got me a concerning cautionary message in my ASUS X570 Tuff Gaming Plus (WiFi) BIOS before I switched to that, but it seems to have done the trick and the update tool now says I can use Windows 11. Lol, I had Secure Boot disabled before that as well, I wasn't sure if enabling that would stop my PC from booting. There was a recent BIOS update I used, but to be honest I can't remember if/when that was ever enabled. https://www.reddit.com/r/WindowsHelp/comments/o7a048/windows_11_tpm_20_not_compatible_asus_x570_tuf/

7. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    Guess we can say goodbye to Control Panel ?
    I really dislike the new setting menu, always go back to control panel.

8. Volteron

Volteron Master Guru

GPU:
    2080ti sli
    Yea just found out my rog strix x299 egaming has builtin tpm module, just enabled ptt.

9. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Requiring TPM 2.0 support is not the same as requiring TPM 2.0 to be functioning. All the health tool is doing is checking to see that support for it is there. All this worrying is laughable. If the wrong word is used in the requirements then that is a different story. As of now though, all that is need is support for it. The actual module is not needed.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-11-specifications

All that is needed is TPM version 2.0...that is it. No where on the site does it say it needs the actual module. The health check tool needs to have that setting enabled so it can check to see what version is supported...that is it.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
  10. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Hmmm..

[​IMG]

XenthorX likes this.

11. NvidiaFreak650

NvidiaFreak650 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    Thanks, on Twitter was confirm AMD do not need to have SVM enable, just fTPM and SB (Windows install as GPT mode (UEFI).

12. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Modules are sold out due to panic buying from individuals who heard TPM 2.0 being mentioned. Where does it say on the MS site that the module needs to be present and functioning for Win 11 to be installed and used?

13. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    It's for hardware accelerated spyware :D

Edit: on a more serious note, if TPM becomes a requirement in Windows, then games can in theory use it for DRM. If you thought Denuvo is one of the most anti-consumer DRMs out there, wait until you see TPM-based DRM... It's probably gonna be much closer to how DRM works on consoles. Applications probably as well. I wouldn't be surprised if the Microsoft Store starts using TPM-based DRM.

Windows is probably on its way to become just as locked-down and anti-consumer as Apple devices.

Solfaur likes this.
  14. DmitryKo

DmitryKo Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock RX 7800 XT
    How would they check for TPM 2.0 support if TPM 2.0 is not functioning?

It can be fTPM (firmware TPM) implemented by UEFI firmware instead of the actual SPI or LPC extension card, but it still has to be enabled in the UEFI settings (typically named 'fTPM' under 'Security' for AMD motherboards, and 'PTT' (Platform Trust Technology) under 'PCH-FW Configuration' for Intel motherboards).

The leaked Windows 11 build 21996 does advertise TPM 2.0 and UEFI/GPT as required for the installation to proceed (unless you are running in a virtual machine, in which case it does not enforce the minimum requirements), though TPM 1.2 is also supported and the UEFI requirement can still be bypassed in this build.

15. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    I wonder if you can upgrade your W10 activation key for free to a W11 activation key that way, like you could for W10 when running W7 in a VM. I had a W7 VM, then at some point it asked me if I want the W10 free upgrade. I did that, then downloaded the official W10 ISO and did a clean install of it natively, not in a VM, and the W7 key worked.

If yes, then this could be used to still get a W11 key even if your PC lacks some of these hardware requirements.

16. Eripsa

Eripsa New Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    The 1TB drive and DX12 ultimate requirement seems to have been removed from DirectStorage requirements.
    • DirectStorage requires an NVMe SSD to store and run games that use the "Standard NVM Express Controller" driver and a DirectX12 GPU with Shader Model 6.0 support.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-11-specifications

17. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    They don't want the old stuff, all of this was done so that they can have at leat a hardware cut off.

18. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Have a feeling we will have to remind ppl over and over and over of this until 11 is finally released. Until then, prepare to suffer the "OMG cant use W11 because TPM 2.0" comments for the rest of the year.

19. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    All pc rigs from the last decade can be used if they have uefi and tpm module.

It's more psychological issue. Who is gonna search all the market for a fckn tiny piece of hardware with no use...

But all motherboards with new tpm slots or integrated have also nvme m2 slots for ssd to support directstorage. Perhaps it's a way to fully use their OS not partially.

20. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    With their previous requirements they had to support still everything that had the NX bit and above. This is a huge cutoff, especially also including GPUs. We don't see it as end customers, but whenever they add/remove something they would have to make sure that they maintain drivers/interfaces for seriously old stuff at this point.

itpro likes this.