Preview: AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 22, 2021.

1. nikobellic

nikobellic Member

GPU:
    Nitro+ RX 480 8GB OC
    AMD is already making it known that this version is FSR 1.0 so they will work on other version there is no doubt. FSR 1.0 in its current form could be a great replacement for bilinear upscaling, many games support Dynamic Resolution Scale but still uses bilinear, FSR 1.0 could be used there. Its really interesting stuff.

Picolete and BlindBison like this.
  2. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    If I remember right they said that only the higher quality presets got close to DLSS quality while the tech is clearly worse than DLSS when running with worse quality presets, but I agree I’d like to see more tech reviews. To my recollection they stated at some point as well that DLSS handled aliasing better on the whole (which is a huge deal imo).

It is possible the hub is being overly generous, I remember when the new sharpening filters came out it was the same guy talking about those with high praise (even when forced externally) and I didn’t personally come away with the same experience that he did since I found the artifacts pretty noticeable myself.

I’d like to see how Control stacks up VS FSR because Control the user can force exact resolution values and we could match whatever FSR’s rendering baseline was and compare from there (though DLSS in control is slightly older than the most modern implementation).

Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
    cucaulay malkin likes this.
  3. BUDA20

BUDA20 Member

GPU:
    Aorus GTX 1080 ti
    I did, and it does, I cant understand why AMD fail to tune the sharpen on release, It took me a minute to "tune" sharpen on every mode to make it look a lot better

4. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Sharpening seems to be one of those somewhat controversial settings, even with the “good” modern CAS sharpens. Some people love a heavy amount of sharpening and others dislike the way too much sharpening looks. It can cause certain artifacts, especially if you “oversharpen” from what I gather.

My two big gripes with it are:
    1) any aliasing that’s present in the image looks worse with sharpening in my local tests (even a mild amount of sharpening)
    2) if you’re forcing it externally and it’s not integrated into the game itself then you have issues with the UI elements getting sharpened and post process effects like film grain or chromatic aberration (fortunately this isn’t an issue with FSR)

It does have benefits and I do think it can be worth using, but I’d imagine they’re trying to minimize artifacts and go with a mild amount of CAS Sharpen for a balanced approach. Unless you’re saying they’re sharpening too much?

Sometimes I’d agree at least for my own taste that more sharpening can look overall preferable than what the devs set. For example, DOOM Eternal’s highest AA preset is great to my eye, but does soften the image quite a lot I find. I bumped their built in sharpen from the default 33 up to 40-50 and personally prefer how it looks in that game though I get why they set it lower by default.

5. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    get out.

6. BUDA20

BUDA20 Member

GPU:
    Aorus GTX 1080 ti
    I pretty much tried all the reshade/freestyle compatible techniques available, from cas to adaptive, from luma to deblur, etc, I did a lot of testing and mixing of them, I use them to play regularly, If done properly at the final (already upscaled) resolution, it will remove the blur that everyone in the media is bashing now and make it look alike the native resolution in many cases and in lower resolutions at least bearable, sure done wrong is horrible, I that's why I was hoping for AMD to do it right, so the user will have cero tuning to do, It seems they just tune for ultra and the lower resolutions, that needed the most, where left behind... lets hope that the "open" source part of it, does its thing

BlindBison likes this.
  7. ViperAnaf

ViperAnaf Guest

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3080 OC
    Super LOL

8. erazerswe

erazerswe Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3060
    AMD: "Hold our beers" :p

Undying likes this.
  9. Stephane45

Stephane45 Guest

GPU:
    "I'll end this article with an open question towards the graphics card industry, applying to AMD, Intel, and NVIDIA. Why did tinkering with image quality become a norm and is that deemed to be acceptable?"

Wise question!
    ...and the real question, or to be more specific, the real concern would be if this tinkering was ever to be hard-coded i.e. without the user's consent. Why is this an issue?...

Graphics Options have been available in most games for many years, primarily to allow the user to do two things:-
    1) Maximise gfx quality (at the expense of a decrease in fps), or,
    2) Increase fps (at the expense of a decrease in gfx quality).

DLSS and FSR are methods whose primary aim is in increasing fps. This is achieved by having the game's engine render each frame internally at a lower resolution, then outputting the final image at a higher monitor resolution. In doing this, DLSS/FSR integrates with the game engine in order to 'modify' each frame to better target the monitor's higher resolution, and in doing so, make the player think the game engine is maximising gfx quality to match the player's chosen monitor resolution (think texture pack specific for monitor's resolution: enabled).

But, be under no illusion:-
    1) This most definitely is essentially tinkering with (i.e. lowering) image quality in order to increase fps. Why?...
    2) If hardware could achieve maxed out gfx quality/candy at a high fps that all gamers would be happy with you can rest assure the game developer would never use DLSS or FSR.
    3) Paid shills will always say "I detect no difference in the DLSS image, and in fact, the DLSS image is noticeably better than native"...lol, of course they will, but...

4) Feed Michelangelo's The Last Judgement into DLSS and wonder at the crapshow produced, then ask yourself "Why? Surely Marketing and Shillery is always correct?"
    --> (Enterprising reviewer project: create a number of test textures, feed into DLSS/FSR, then ask "why are the DLSS/FSR images different to native?" hint: in QA, "different" = bad)
    --> Does the penny drop??
    5) Unfortunately we're still a long way from having max gfx at high res (that 'issue' will last for some while!). While desirable effects such as ray tracing are becoming usable for part of a frame, they're still far from being usable for 100% of every frame. Until then, game developers will still be needing every help they can get.
    Just make sure the user/player can disable it if they so wish. Wouldn't want the professional artist's work tinkered with.

10. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Regarding that Digital Foundry FSR vid they put out, the TLDR/take away I got from it was that the highest “Ultra Quality” preset is worth using, but the rest perhaps not so much unless you really need a perf bump on old hardware.

Going off that vid, Alex found it does not really come close to matching the latest iteration of DLSS (which I didn’t expect it to) at least not outside of the Ultra Quality present, but it’s still neat to have/it’s cool it can run on old GPUs.

Very interestingly I think, he compared FSR to Unreal’s built in temporal upsampling and found the Unreal one is superior overall.

So, seems like [DLSS 2.2 > Good Temporal Upsampling like Unreal’s > FSR > Standard upscaling like bilinear or bicubic].

Personally I’m pretty happy to have a “good upscaler” even if that’s all it is right now. Hope it gets better down the line. At the moment though I don’t think I’d use anything lower than FSR Quality (and nothing lower than Ultra Quality if I could help it) and it seems to me this would be most useful in games which don’t have any kind of temporal component to their anti-aliasing and therefore couldn’t do some kind of TAAU like Unreal or some of Ubisoft’s game do now.

11. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Alex from DF is actually payed to like dlss so he cant really appreciate what amd is doing here.

12. Öhr

Öhr Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 5700XT @ H₂O
    [​IMG]

The label for the pictures in the middle ("performance") and bottom ("ultra") are switched. the center one has clearly better quality/source resolution than the bottom one

whats this low effort bullshit conspiracy crap?

pharma and cucaulay malkin like this.
  13. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    See below the picture:

FranciscoCL likes this.
  14. Öhr

Öhr Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 5700XT @ H₂O
    oops... well thats weird. seems more like the ingame settings are switched somehow and the steps ingame do not correspond to the actual scaling factor/quality setting. i watched the gamers nexus video and the quality did decrease as expected tho... maybe an early bug that caught guru3d off guard?

15. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    Check HUB video.

16. beedoo

beedoo Member Guru

GPU:
    6900XT Liquid Devil
    Several people have questioned why it can't be just externally implemented and work on any game if it's just a spacial up-scaler.

I believe in the TPU article, they stated that the process allows you to render the HUD component separately at native resolution - so it seems clear to me that there are multiple passes.

BlindBison likes this.
  17. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    I like your profile picture, unrelated. Good show

18. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    I think the way FSR is being compared is not very useful, its an upscaler fundamentally so there really should be display-side upscaling ,and upscaling done by windows/the driver( like when you set a sub-native resolution in a borderless fullscreen mode) included aswell , that will show what FSR able to do alot better than just comparing native to each mode.

the only tricky part for adding those to a comparison, is figuring out what base resolution is being used in each fsr mode.
    nvm missed the resolution table in the article.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
    Truder likes this.
  19. Dazz

Dazz Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    Yes, officially it supports RX460 onwards for AMD and Pascal GPU's i.e GTX 1030 onwards, however people have tested it on GTX 970's Maxwell so it can be run on cards older than the list. Gamer Nexus says it works really well on AMD APU's too and also works on Intel GX1 graphics cards also.

With FSR supporting pretty much any GPU over the last decade and much easier implementation i think FSR might win over DLSS which has very narrow hardware support. Like that's been said with the GPU shortage at present keeping hold of what you got and squeezing more performance out of it is better than just releasing a new GPU that you can't buy with increased tax on the MSRP slapped on.

Soulanalyzer likes this.
  20. Dazz

Dazz Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    HWUnboxed says it's not the same he tried to replicate it and FSR preserves more details than scaling the image so there is something else done on top and is not just a upscaled image.