Preview: AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 22, 2021.

1. Soulanalyzer

Soulanalyzer Member

GPU:
    MSI 3060Ti Gaming X
    Thanks a lot bro!

2. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    i do have terminator resistance,but i'll pass
    i don't think this is for 1440p users

tbh amd did release a fsr driver,so I think you do need one

3. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    It seems to me all modes are worth using compared to running the game at a lower resolution without FSR.

Also, has anyone looked into the API of FSR yet? What does it require? Since it's "edge based", if the only thing it needs is depth buffer access, then it might be possible to port this to ReShade (it can access the depth buffer in many games) and thus make it work with old games?

BlindBison and AsiJu like this.
  4. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    I dunno, Hardware Unboxed did show some performance numbers starting at about the 18 min mark

5. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    Is there some reason why people can't lower settings or run at a resolution their GPU can handle? This and DLSS certainly don't look any better.

6. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    yeah but quality ? same ?

7. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    I think it looks to be this way.

4k Ultra quality and quality are ok.
    1440p ultra quality is ok.
    1080p you should avoid unless you have a very old gpu you can't upgrade or are using a laptop iGPU.

Looking at the reviews (HU, LTT, GN, ...) it looks like it's better than standard GPU upscaling + sharpening (and DLSR 1.0) which is what FSR had to achieve to be relevant.

AsiJu and CPC_RedDawn like this.
  8. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Isn't this like the whole point of it? Run the game at a lower resolution but make it look like it runs at a higher res.

BlindBison likes this.
  9. kanenas

kanenas Master Guru

GPU:
    6900xt,7800xt.
    yes

10. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    I believe that's the goal but both look bad so I don't see the point, especially if it has to be supported by games.

11. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Well, if it looks better than without, then it's worth it.

BlindBison likes this.
  12. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    It will never be able to do the same job as DLSS, read the article and you understand why that is so.

13. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Point is to add something that looks better than using a lower resolution or reduce Super Sampling to render below native resolution.
    There are other ways to do that but those are not as simple for end users.

14. Martin2603PL

Martin2603PL Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    We can't compare FSR to DLSS, the Nvidia tech uses AI and special cores designed for that job.
    Speaking of FSR anyone manage to inject that shader into ReShade? ;)

15. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    I don't think you can port it into ReShade as it's done on the current frame BEFORE any post processing is done and the UI is rendered. So FSR only applies to the actual games graphics and doesn't mess with any stuff added after such as the HUD. Whereas I am sure ReShade can effect the HUD elements of a game.

This is why FSR requires per game support/implementation otherwise it would just be a toggle on/off button in the drivers.

Picolete and AsiJu like this.

16. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080

BlindBison likes this.
  17. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    Couldn't nVidia just do this as well, so they'd have DLSS and FSR running at the same time? Even though the image quality might be worse i think nVidia doesn't need to do this but it could if it wanted to, no?

18. nikobellic

nikobellic Member

GPU:
    Nitro+ RX 480 8GB OC
    Really impressed considering its only a spatial upscaler with no AI or "dedicated" hardware needed. DLSS1.0 was also AI driven spatial upscaler, and FSR 1.0 is clearly better than DLSS1.0
    Hardware unboxed tested lower resolution + CAS, and FSR clearly beats that too. So FSR could be a really good alternative to bilinear scaling.

As to why FSR needs in engine support because it needs to run after anti-aliasing pass and before post-process stuffs and UI, but in theory it might be possible to use FSR edge smoothing algorithm + using depth based sharpening which would leave object edges as it is, using reshade. Source code for FSR should be out next month, it will be interesting to see how it actually works on code level.

19. Aegis

Aegis Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Suprim X
    There's no point - DLSS (for cards that support it) is an inherently superior solution - plus, DLSS replaces anti-aliasing whereas FSR does not.

Applying FSR to a DLSS-processed image wouldn't improve on what DLSS is doing and applying DLSS to FSR likewise.

Still, I can see a scenario where a game has separate FSR and DLSS support and the user is free to choose what works best for them (hardware permitting).

20. Jumbik

Jumbik Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 64 N+
    Open source, on both new consoles + old hardware. A lot of people with new consoles also have 4K TVs. Most new console games will be also on PC due to Game pass and Sony trying to catch up. This will be supported in a lot of new games very fast. Everybody will benefit so much from this. In a year or two we will see version 2.0 and it may well become an industry standart by then.

nikobellic likes this.