Q1 saw 700,000 graphics cards sold to cryptocurrency miners

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 16, 2021.

1. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Ohh it's sarcasm... I just found it funny that there was still someone referring to AMD as ATI in the year 2021...It's been.. what is it now 15 years?..hence the reply "Ati?"

Dragam1337 and Venix like this.
  2. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I might be old but my mind not dead yet :rolleyes:

DirtyMiners, DannyD and KissSh0t like this.
  3. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    Somehow 2.8-3 million GPUs in a quarter, across both AMD and nVidia, it just doesn't seem like that many. In a year, billion $ companies don't move more product than that?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
  4. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    videocards are smuggled in speed boats like cocaine was in Miami in the 80s, is there more to say ?

Dragam1337 likes this.

5. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Atleast prices are dropping.

Example of the Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8G:
    [​IMG]

RTX 3060 is down from 950 to 650 here in the Netherlands.

And the RTX 3090 went from 3200 to 2400 :eek:

Kaarme likes this.
  6. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    That's a good start. Though only a start. 3060 obviously shouldn't cost 650 euros (they are still 700-750 over here). I seem to recall the cheapest 3060 Tis were slightly under 500 euros when they were first listed. The prices jumped soon after, but that's where the Ti should be, realistically, or even less in countries with a lower VAT. The plain 3060 should thus be cheaper. Significantly less than 500€, aside from some pay-for-the-brand models like Strix, which always add a 100-200 euros premium to the price, depending on the level of the GPU.

7. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Sadly 3060 Ti's can't be found here.

Not sure what happend to that chip, it simply vanished.

8. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    It's funny to deny that mining that has been the biggest issue when only now in the last few weeks we're starting to see a ray of hope,
    exactly inline with bitcoin losing almost half it's value few weeks ago.
    Things are indeed picking up in the mining world though (even if China is going to war with their miners), Elon has said he'll accept crypto again when mining goes more greener (solar etc.),
    and inline with Musk's update bitcoin is on a strong rise.
    Also big banks have announced they're gonna start dealing in crypto soon so imo the future is still uncertain. ( ie. price /availability).
    I'm not even bothered if new cards can't mine, wouldn't mind another 20 series tho before the year's end then i'd be happy to grab one of these non-mining overpriced vram limited POS.

Valken likes this.
  9. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Too bad they can´t account for everyone that buys a new GPU and then sells it to miners to pocket some easy money...

Dragam1337 and Valken like this.
  10. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    The 3060 Ti might have been of excellent cost-efficiency for miners and they managed to grap every single one of them. One of my usual PC hardware stores lists on their product pages when they receive shipments of the component. They haven't received a single 3060 Ti since early April. Most stopped coming in February/March. The pro miners in China have probably bought them straight from the factory. If the factory gets full price but can sell in bulk without even needing to have them in fancy, 4-colour print cardboard boxes, it's a big win for them.

As smart as Elon is, if he only very recently realised the power consumption of the miners, I wonder if he then realises that Bitcoin is only a portion of it. Maybe he doesn't know that there are a lot of other coins, many of which are even less efficient than Bitcoin mined with ASICs. When Bitcoin goes up, those (useless) coins go up as well. I wish Tesla had sold all of its Bitcoins. It would have crashed the value, and along with it all the other crypto coins.

Dragam1337 likes this.

11. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I just can't imagine he only realized it after he dropped a billion dollars into it.. and if he didn't then he's an idiot honestly. Regardless, he talked to the ETH developers about the switch to proof of stake - so I imagine he knows other coins mine as well.

Kaarme and fantaskarsef like this.
  12. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    As much as it is a scummy thing, it doesn't really matter. If they're sold at MSRP, then miners and scalpers will make more of a profit, and will be more enticed to buy out all the stock. Everyone else is still going to be paying higher no matter what.

13. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    For example, someone asked me to build a computer.
    Doesn't matter how and where I searched, the whole configuration was way higher that the budget.
    The build was intended for gaming, so I advised getting a PS5. Which fit very tightly in that budget, but it managed.
    Never ever I imagined that I'll recommend a console over a computer, but here we are.

14. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    You're probably right, it's still not correct to only blame the GPU manufacturer (who is actually the least possible to tackle the prices short term). I wouldn't bet my money on AMD / Nvidia making a huge profit off of every single GPU, they just sell whatever they can produce. Can't imagine that suddenly ASUS, MIS, etc. pay 700€ per GPU bought off of AMD / Nvidia. GPU manufacturers don't sell cards, so they are not the ones directly profiting from raised prices.

Then comes AIBs, who sell by bulk, where the profit taking really starts. They bulk sell to miners and scalpers, so they seem to be first in line for increased profits due to inflated prices.

After that, said scalpers and etailers.

And that's what I tried to bring across, the profit taking starts at AIBs and includes normal shops as well, not just the scalpers. Just want to make sure that it's voiced in it's full, not just that one of the above is making all the money off of our misery.

mackintosh and schmidtbag like this.
  15. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    And then there's MSI doing the scalpers job.

xD

carnivore likes this.

16. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    ^ which was specifically what I meant when I was talking about AIBs, yes :D