Nvidia Has a Driver Overhead Problem

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by RealNC, Mar 15, 2021.

1. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    @kman Oh, if you're using "Borderless Windowed Mode" or "Windowed Mode" then Windows will force a sort of "Fast Sync" -- that will look very stuttery. Digital Foundry talked about this in their V-Sync video -- Fast Sync looks like ass unless your capping to like 3x your monitors refresh, but it is certainly low lag. What they're doing is the the GPU renders frames as fast as it can then when it comes time to refresh the screen they display the most recent and toss out the ones inbetween so you're not seeing linear motion.

Just use exclusive fullscreen and either deal with the tearing or use a different form of V-Sync. I honestly have no idea why Microsoft thought forcing jittery fast sync in windowed mode was a """""good idea""""".

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
  2. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition
    I Tried dls to 4k-5k and the issue remained.

Since im using a g-sync monitor I'm using the optimal g-sync settings suggested by blur buster.

V-sync on/off ingame with a -3 fps limit

Again.The issue prtty much goes away if I either lower fps to 120 on 1440p or play on 1080p 144z

Also I never use borderless windowed/windowed.I always play in fullscreen.

I'm gonna start asking around if they noticed a similar issue on 1440p 144hz+ on their warhammer game.Maybe its a shared issue.Could also be a 3k series card issue.

BlindBison likes this.
  3. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    RIP -- in that case, I honestly wonder if you have a defective component or some such. It's quite a lot of effort, but if you have a different GPU you could try slotting that in and testing to see if the issue persists. If it doesn't then you've narrowed the problem down to your 3080 seems to me. I'm not sure what exactly is wrong with your PC, but if anytime the GPU load goes over 80% you get really bad microstuttering regardless of game then, yeah, something wonky is afoot. If you've done all the typical trouble shooting stuff on the software side then could be hardware related :(

4. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Have you tried using a 144FPS cap? Or 143.9? Use RTSS for this. It helps in a few games, though probably it's not the issue you're having. But worth trying.

5. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    I have this issue in two different PCs (my old one and my new one.) I suspect it's DWM getting starved of GPU and as a result it starts to drop frames when compositing.

BlindBison likes this.
  6. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition
    I did a 144 cap with RTSS actually.Tiny bit better (barely any difference)
    It's when I capped to 120 that the real difference happened.

7. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition
    I don't have a spare gpu sadly :/ Think im gonna have to resort to selling my brand new 1440p monitor just to get a smoother experience as I'm no way playing on 1080p stretched.

If only Nvidia actually replied to the trace I sent them almost 4 weeks ago with the issue.Surely that should have picked up what the issue might be.

8. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    And are you sure it's not the monitor? I've seen a few (rare) instances where people had 144Hz monitors that were actually dropping frames at 144Hz. To verify, use this test:

https://www.testufo.com/frameskipping

Read the instructions on that page on how to take the photo. You need the longest exposure time your camera has.

Sometimes this also happens when you use more than 1 monitor. Do you have only 1?

9. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition
    Same issue on another 1440p 144hz monitor that my bro uses.

Also I play wow with an fps limit of 160 and its a night and day difference between it and warhammer.

Only have 1 monitor.

Can't believe I might have to get a new monitor because 1440p causes micro stutters....

10. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition
    I treid going back to my old 1080p 144hz monitor and upscaling with dsr to 1440p and the issue starts to happen again so its not a monitor issue.The gpu doesn't seem to be able to handle 1440p well.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021

11. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    So, did we ever learn more about this whole “AMD vs Nvidia” driver overhead thing or nah? Keep coming back to this thread hoping to glean more info lol

12. P_G19

P_G19 Member

GPU:
    GTX 1660 / 6GB
    It has been quiet for a while......
    from my weak understanding view, We might use HAGS in the future to mitigate some of the performance loss.

BlindBison likes this.
  13. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Post something that makes Nvidia seem infallable, the fanboys do everything they can to defend them and discredit it.

DanielRX likes this.
  14. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    I think you need to read what you wrote again. It doesn't even make any sense whatsoever.

cucaulay malkin likes this.
  15. P_G19

P_G19 Member

GPU:
    GTX 1660 / 6GB
    something semi off-topic (lol)
    but can increasing maximum pre rendered frames (i know the one in NVCP/inspector doesn't affect DX12 & Vulkan)
    decrease the load on CPU resulting in better performance?
    on that note.. is there a way to increase maximum pre-rendered frames in VK & DX12?

16. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition
    Same TBH. I'm pro anything that makes my frametimes better.
    I do occasionally see someone mention the overhead issue when a thread for a new driver pops up in the nvidia forums but not much happens.

They don't even have it as an open issue so who knows if they are even bothering.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
    BlindBison likes this.
  17. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    infallable is a word you use to describe e.g. a catholic pope.

18. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Seems like Nvidia is doing better with older titles which don't multi thread as well by themselves, since the famous "anti-Mantle" driver they released, which along with their hardware architecture gave them an edge over AMD for a long, painful time (for AMD users).

Now it seems like this way to work is kind of working against the games themselves, if they're properly optimized already.

jura11 and BlindBison like this.
  19. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I dunno about that.

[​IMG]
    From today's video of the very same HUB.

It's a pity really that no one cared to explore the issue in any detail beyond what was needed for a click baity YouTube thumbnail.

20. PQED

PQED Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Gaming X
    I'm not going to comment on whether there's an overhead issue as I simply don't know if there is one - but I did watch the video in its' entirety and the graph you posted is highly misleading.
    There are tons of other factors to take into account when testing, especially when the architectures are completely different.

I'd encourage people to watch the video dr_rus is referring to themselves, as it's nowhere near as simple as the posted image would suggest:

Edit: And please listen to the VO as well instead of just glancing over the graphs if you do.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021