Noctua Pending Fanless Processor Cooler Pictured

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 21, 2020.

1. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    No offense but if you had ever opened one Noctua cooler box, you'd know that you're out of order.

These guys are the benchmark for excellence. And since we're there for air cooling :)

Venix and jura11 like this.
  2. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    Who says I haven't? I've been building PCs for ages, I even wrote to Zalman asking when are you going to create 12cm fans but they replied they will never become the norm.
    I think most GPU coolers for instance are still quite crap. This is where you have the highest energy use and the coolers are really small and often noisy.

3. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I dont why people like pick on color of the fans "brown" wtf does it mater what color the fans if it does what is promised. unles you like to stare at your fans and inside of your pc instead using, it almost as bad the stupid RGB this RGB that fad

4. Mundosold

Mundosold Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 FE
    GPUs are basically full mini computers these days with RAM and VRMs that need cooled. No standardized form factor, even different variants of the same model can be wildly different.
    That said I really want a slick backplate cooler. If you use a big air CPU cooler theres almost no room for cooling the backplate. Right now I am cooling the backplate of my 3090 with an evo 212 I had lying around, it actually slides in perfectly behind the D15 and the rear case fan and lowered VRAM temps by 10C alone.

I want a monster combo CPU+Backplate air cooler. Just a massive chunk of metal that latches on to the GPU backplate AND mounts on the CPU with like 5 push pull fans and ability to utiilize top-mounted fans pushing air down. I can dream cant I?

5. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Problem is they should move away from 3 slot GPU and expand to 4 slot.

3 Slot heatsink and a proper 25mm height fan.

That's the only reason GPUs are noisy, they use those terrible slim design fans that barely move any air.

6. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    for 65 watt you still have the artic (carrefull the black paint one despite similar looking is smaller and only 45 watt at max... i have made the mistake myself lol).
    even in summer it do the job.

tunejunky likes this.
  7. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I have a hard time believing a heatsink of that size can sustainably dissipate 120W. Once the metal is heat soaked, I wouldn't be surprised if 65W became too much for it.
    In either case, I could see this being useful in industrial environments. For a gaming PC, not so much.

These days, I feel like if anyone really cares that much about a silent PC, they might as well just build it in another room and connect all your displays and peripherals over USB-C or wirelessly. Or... just wear headphones.

Personally, I don't get why people make such a fuss about fan noise in the first place. As long as the fans spin at a constant rate and below 2500RPM, you can easily tune them out.

Also, not to sound like a hipster but Noctua fans are overrated. Sure, they blow a good amount of air relative to the noise they make, but fans worth 1/3 the price can yield very similar results. As with a lot of tech, I bought into the hype only to think "why does everyone praise this so much?"

8. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    gonna check it out if it can deal with 90-100w.and I mean deal,not barely handle.
    got 3x120mm alpenfohn intake fans,they're superb,push a lot of air while staying quiet.a good fanless heatsink would do it for me.

9. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT can be used fanless or with very slow fans like Thermalright TY-147B which is at full speed very quiet fan

This Noctua Fanless would love to try it and probably will get one just to test it, I still prefer air cooler than water cooling

Thanks, Jura

10. fanless = performanceless

Case fans will never supply enough airflow for proper cooling. And honestly, high quality 800RPM+- fan is inaudible if it is inside a case on a CPU.

11. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    Not true at all, the under TV PC have only a single 12 cm (PSU, CPU and GPU fanless) and it still permit some OC... in silence.
    *edit* and you don't have to "supply" airflow, but you have to pull heat out (ideal is cold to hot so ground to top, the airflow will be selfmade this way)

fanless = silence
    Performance is dependent on how the heat is handle, i would say that most (something around 98 or 99%) of the chassis handle it the worse it can be.
    In heavy condition most PC are fanless to reduce problem and are still performant despite not what i can call a fanless friendly CPU.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
    tunejunky likes this.
  12. anub1s18

anub1s18 Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX2070S /WC
    hmmm seeing that the passive heatsync is comming out now my hopes of getting the black NF-A 25's before august seem to be falling to pieces :(

am planning to change some things in my loop so it might be possible to install them when they launch without tearing my liquid cooling apart to get at the screws :(

13. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Maybe in 2025 we see the Chromax version of the next generation 140 MM Fans :(