AMD Announces FidelityFX Super Resolution (FSR), the DLSS alternative

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 1, 2021.

1. GSDragoon

GSDragoon Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX 6800
    Except it's not free. It's coming at an image quality cost.

Agonist likes this.
  2. Commoner

Commoner Member

GPU:
    RX580
    I love seeing this kind of comments. It shows how people forget what nVIDIA did with the 1st RTX series launch when it was screaming about Raytracing, yet not only did they not have a game to show it for months after release, they didn't even provide a demo to their customers to run and experience.

carnivore, Undying and CPC_RedDawn like this.
  3. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Looks like DLSS is being replaced. I hear that developers find FSR much easier to implement and it does not segment the pc gaming market to specific cards.
    FSR will support all AMD RX cards as well as nvidia cards. Looks like Nvidia 1000 series owners have something to look forward to...from their sworn competitor. LOL

4. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    Whoever has a faceless corporation as their sworn enemy really gotta get out more.

5. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Undying likes this.
  6. Image quality is kinda disappointing. If you look at the fine details, like the tree leaves for example, they are completely blurred.
    [​IMG]

7. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black

Telling that too DLSS fanboys is like trying to teach a brick wall Chinese.

GSDragoon and CPC_RedDawn like this.
  8. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Heck yeah... I requested Space Engineers.. haha

it's not an addiction ok.

CPC_RedDawn and user1 like this.
  9. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    It might work on even older gpus, just depends on what feature level they are targeting , since amd is saying the rx 500 series are supported , it seems like directx feature level 12_0 is probably what they are targeting, which would include gcn 2 gpus like the 290x and newer, and the gtx 900 series, that would be my educated guess.

10. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    What is the difference between RX 470 and RX 570?

11. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    different vbios and improved silicon, otherwise essentially identical

KissSh0t likes this.
  12. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    I still don't understand why AMD didn't make a mix of checkerbording with Direct ML.

13. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Look at the image again, it says GTX1060 at the top. We have no idea yet at what its going to look like on each GPU, it could be different and older cards with weaker performance could be using a different technique to achieve the goal where as modern GPU's with more horse power could be using another. We also don't know how it will look on different architectures, it could be different for all we know.

Heck AMD could be deliberately making it look worse on Nvidia cards to get people to upgrade to AMD ones. Who knows. We can't make conclusions yet, lets wait til we see the first games using it.

I predict;

Dirt 5, and Borderlands 3 will have it on the 22nd June.

14. Ivrogne

Ivrogne Master Guru

GPU:
    a GPU
    AMD showing that early batch of FSR works even on GTX1060 is a legit power move. Its a shame that not everyone can take that hint.

Imagine what your old GF10xx and R4xx can benefit from it.

I really impressed with DLSS progression, but im all in for a tech advancement which everyone can benefit.

H83 and Fediuld like this.
  15. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Polaris getting fsr and sm6.6 is actually surprising and welcomed especially today when its all you got. Now if they only fix the latest drivers crashing that would be great.

16. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Well naturally :)
    Because even the most bonkers ideas and scummiest strategies like that ^^ are completely legit if AMD is doing them.

17. Performance reasons. Using neural network based upscale without separate tensor cores would be counterproductive even with significantly lower input resolution. The method currently used by AMD's FSR is an advanced form of multi layered morphological reconstruction. It's not a bad approach, because there are many constraints it needs to fit in. I believe the IQ will improve eventually, but it will never be as good as DLSS.

Stormyandcold likes this.
  18. Streuwinkel

Streuwinkel Guest

GPU:
    Pulse RX Vega 56
    FSR ultra quality in a static scene (probably +50% fps in most titles if we go by the "up to 2x fps" number):
    upload_2021-6-2_3-21-40.png
    Meanwhile DLSS 2.0 would not only deliver a crisp image but also be able to add detail.
    FSR isn't enough of an improvement over their previous resize and contrast adaptive sharpen approach in my opinion.

19. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    I am guessing being more simpler, traditional approach, FSR might be more consistent than DLSS. As in you know you won't win any IQ awards, but at least you'll get predictable overall IQ.
    Which is not a terrible deal tbh. Unlike DLSS which does many things better than any other AA, and often beats native, only to fail glaringly over something stupid.

20. BUDA20

BUDA20 Member

GPU:
    Aorus GTX 1080 ti
    I downloaded the video in 4k, and zoomed without blur, watched some frames, it looks really blurred (compared to the real deal, in the same video/compression), and it lacks the sharpen that NVidia added to DLSS 2.0, so I added CAS and it improves a LOT... I don't know why AMD didn't do it