a TIP to Rx Vega users with performance issues.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by xubeiga, Mar 12, 2021.

1. xubeiga

xubeiga Active Member

GPU:
    Vega 56
    hello everyone!
    I know probably most of you already know this but i gotta say it to maybe help someone who doesnt.

I created a lot of posts and threads here in Guru3D and some other forums about my problem with performance on my PC...i couldn't play games like Detroit become human, Control because i had very poor performance on those games that made the game unplayable

- In Control my FPS in the start of the game (the entrance of FBC building) the FPS was so trash, it was like 30 fps

- In Detroit become human i had a LOT of stutters and fps drops. Actually i posted a lot of videos here about this issue, below are some of them showing the problem i was having with the game:

Anyway, i just wanted to relate here that after all those months looking for a answer, i'm 99% sure that i found a fix for my issues.

so what i'll suggest you guys to do is: DON'T USE DAISY CHAIN CABLES FOR GPU (At least for Vega56 tho)
    After i stopped using daisy chain cable and started using 2 cables to supply the GPU, all my issues were gone.

my FPS on Overwatch got so much better. I had fps drops to 120 and now it stays on 250 minimum.
    on Control now my FPS 60-80 which is the average on this game for Vega 56 in 1080p
    On Detroit Become Human (which is what made my happiness) the stutters and fps drops are GONE. I can finally play this game which i was trying to play for so much time.

So that's it. I know probably most of you know about this but i hope this helps who doesnt.

Cheers!

Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
  2. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    [​IMG]

You mean that? :)

3. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    I think this is common knowledge. Not to sound condescending, but almost all PSU /GPUs have something related to this in their manuals.
    However, the cable layout almost confuses everyone, as to use the next connector form the same cable.
    This is one of the many reasons I always advice people in buying good quality PSU, ensuring that they always have multiple separate rails for the GPU alone.

4. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    depends on the psu really

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    no it doesn't.

386SX likes this.
  6. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    single vs multi rail ?

7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    not a factor.

386SX and cucaulay malkin like this.
  8. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    There are too many low quality PSU manufacturers. They would be a little better if they didn't ship those daisy chain VGA power cables at all with their PSUs, seeing how the PSUs or cables aren't capable of pushing the current through anyway. Only strong enough PSUs should be shipped with (higher quality) cables with a split end. But of course we don't live in such a pretty world.

9. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    I thought it would be.

10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    You might be able to output 70a on a single rail, but that doesn't mean the cable can carry 300w.

lots of high end vendors are skimping on cable gauage and insulation rating.

11. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    But it should provide more stable power under heavy load than a multi rail.

12. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    why should it?

33amp is still 33amp whether it comes from 1 rail or 2.

13. Mt441PL

Mt441PL Active Member

GPU:
    6700XT AIB
    Sorry for the necro, i have a EVGA SuperNova G3 850W now, and it's cables come with one PCIE connector for each cable it seems. So i'm glad some PSU makers are starting to notice this problem.
    What's the point of having two ports for one line (, it can only make the result worse), i guess for old lower powered cards that just use a secondary cable. NOT for modern, beefy or any powerhungry GPU.

Denoso likes this.