Hey, you are a computer person, right? Can you...

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by anticupidon, May 28, 2021.

1. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Basically, the meme.
    This is what we became? Oh-no-not-this-shit-again.jpg

I had a side hustle for making extra cash, but now I don't do it anymore. But keep received calls, at weird hours with the strangest questions and demands in computer related fields.

Can you hack my SO Facebook?
    Can you hack this bank/crypto vault?
    I have this idea for an app...

2. zipper

zipper Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680M
    I just could hack an Administrator account into my job computer from an restricted standard one. Then could install all kinds of unbecoming programs...

3. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    You must be loved beyond measure by your sysadmin, unless you are one yourself.

4. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Some NN person: "...You know about computers, can you check my car computer? He's showing all kind of weird errors..." Me: :rolleyes:

Dude coming from police station after reporting his wife who left with his daughter (guess some stupid there at police station told him even more stupid thing): "...Can you hack my wife Facebook acount and track her down? You know, to send her request for friendship and then take control of her facebook account to discover where she is?..." Me: "...who told you that, what am I, some kind of hacking wizzard!?... gtfo!..." (boy, I was so pissed till the end of the day because of this fool)

(random dude I've passed by few times in my life, living more than 0.5Km from my house): "...Hey neighbour! You're into that computer stuff, just bought myself new Smart TV, can you just drop by on minute-two to setup everything after the work. Doesn't matter if it's late, doesn't bother me, you can drop by anytime, 10PM, 11PM... you decide. It'll be easy-peasy job for you...". Me: "...I'll just forget this ever happened..."

NN person #2 who just bought 2nd hand car for €6000: "...someone told me about you, can you add more maps for all Europe countries into my car factory GPS? Asked others and they can do this, but they ask way too much money, maybe you could do this for cheap...". Me thinking: "...what the f*ck my bussiness had in common with car GPS!?..".

Quite young recently divorced chick, tbh I was very suspicious about her intentions: "...hi there, my friend who knows you she told me you can set up my new Android TV box, you know that software to watch free movies, KODI, PLEX, something like that... she said it's easy for anyone who's into computer bussiness..." Me thinking: "...I'd set you more than you've asked for... if I wasn't married..." :D:(

Friend who just bought cheap chinese no name crap video surveilance system: "...hey buddy, come around to set up my new DVR and surveilance cameras. Bring all the needed cables, I didn't get almost any in the package... I'll pay in beer...". Me: "...never ever in my life I've set up any surveilance system, DVR and all that sfuff... and I'll never will, sorry but I don't have time to learn stuff I'm not a bit interested about... ask local surveilance equipement companies for help..." Plot twist: prior asking me he already did, all of them already dumped him after he told them what kind of chinese crap he bought.

Years ago neigbour living some 200m from my house wasting my time for full 3 weeks every-single-fcking-day in my office asking about decision if he should buy TV for his PC his daughter just send him from Italy (someone told him TV must be Toshiba brand) or classic PC monitor (also someone told him it MUST be Dell). He was like a broken record, one day he came: "...OK, I'll buy Toshiba TV..." Me: "..OK, right decision, good luck..." ...next day, neighbour: "...I've made up my mind, Dell monitor is the best solution for me..." Me: "...okie-dokie, buy whatever fits you needs..." Day after: "...think Toshiba is a good brand, I'll go with their TV..." me: "...it's him again? God, help me!...". It was like that for straight 20 days or so, at the end when I see him on his bike approaching on surveilance cam I would just hide somewhere or lock the office. But after that I was shocked few times when I saw him waiting AT THE HOUSE in living room for me to come home afer the work :eek:, he just walked into he house with words something like: "...I'll wait for him...", my wife was speachless and terrified at the same sitting with him not knowing what to say until I got home. I was literarily mad when it happened, argued with him and almost throw him from the house. He did that 2 times and after that I've threaten him if he walks again in my house and scare my wife like that I'll broke every bone in his body... That scared him finally and never bothered me again. Now he just look the other way when he passes by me on the street. I've heard from few people here and there he's... not alone in his head, lucky me never had problems with him after that last incident at my home. Legend said till this day he still not decided either to buy Toshiba TV or Dell monitor :D

Some old lady: "...hi sweety, my granddaughter gave me her old smartphone but this thing is slow, can you do something to make it faster?...". Me: "...lady, I don't do any kind of bussiness with phone, who told you that?..." She: "..she told me to take it some computer guy, she's way too bussy and don't have time and nerves to deal with this old phone..." Me: "...why not take it to the phone repair shop maybe?..."

I could write this for hours, but all of those events belongs to period 5 years back and prior to that. Now I just say: "...I sorry ma'am, we don't do this kind of bussiness...". Sometimes you just have to learn to say NO. Honestly it was a tough learning curve for me to learn to say NO, after helping all kinds of known and unknown people for almost 2 decades about all kinds of stuff, some are and some are not computer related. Backthen in 90s and early 2000s people were different, grateful when you take your time to help them in the field not related with your main bussiness but past 10, maybe even 15 years it's completely different story, it's like they think if they know you a bit or know someone knowing you that you're obligated to help them with every piece of tech that has IC inside.

Just learn to politely say NO when needed or all kinds of people will abuse your time and your will to help.

JAMVA, jura11, Horus-Anhur and 8 others like this.

5. Loster

Loster Master Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Exactly what i had to learn. In one case a family member who needed some help again, i said i will be there in an half an hour. I was there 40 minutes after that call. So basicaly 10 minutes later, and he was just mad at me and asked me what i am thinking and that he's got a life and no time for waiting.

That was the moment where i really started to wonder about the differences and expectations we humans are having and why are others taking every nice gesture and a help for granted.

Since i learned to live my life more and say no to others, i lost alot of my so called friends just like that. And as you wrote yourself, it is hard to say NO, or just to say, i have no time and stick to it, because there was always this questioning: why, what are you doing, what is so important that you have no time ?

Solfaur and CrazY_Milojko like this.
  6. N0sferatU

N0sferatU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra
    Used to be that person. Unless it's close friend others have no idea. Best to just keep your mouth shut. :cool:

Keitosha, Airbud and CrazY_Milojko like this.
  7. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Yep, if someone asks you're a computer person right, answer no I like women but hey whatever works for you...

Keitosha, Raserian, Airbud and 2 others like this.
  8. zipper

zipper Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680M
    I wonder they never said anything!

anticupidon likes this.
  9. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Stopped doing this except for family tbh. With family it goes both ways, dad helps with stuff like plumbing, etc, I help them with their computer related stuff.

DirtyMiners likes this.
  10. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Care to elaborare more, on what conditions is still possible to elevate to admin?

11. zipper

zipper Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680M
    Haven't tried as I finished my career. But I suppose net is still your friend.

12. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Simple solution. This goes both ways.
    Had someone who constantly asked me to fix his laptops and smartphones, never ever occurred to him to say anything about price or simply to pay for a service. He works as a Chef, he does very well financially. Each time I asked politely and diplomatically about costs or price, the answer was :"Hey, you are doing this anyways, one more customer doesn't hurt, look, I am giving you so much exposure to all my friends!".
    One Saturday night I made some calls, dressed smartly and went to the venue where my Chef friend works and we had our dream banquet.
    When the bill arrived, I pointed out to my friend and said :" Put it on the Chef account, he invited us, for sure he must forgotten to tell you, but yes, the bill it's on him".
    With so much people there and Saturday work pressure, my Chef was shocked and he was annoyed as hell.
    I thanked him in my best Moliere French and waved him good bye.

He finally understood the error of his ways and not to take my willingness to help or benevolence as stupidity or something else.
    Needless to say, he never called me anymore, but for sure he starts to feel uncomfortably when I show up where he works.

Passus, Horus-Anhur, Keitosha and 4 others like this.
  13. Airbud

Airbud Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5600XT
    Love it^

anticupidon likes this.
  14. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Don't accept the premises of assh0les. Sometimes, being brutally honest does more good to your mental wellbeing that you can even imagine.

Airbud and DirtyMiners like this.
  15. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Don't thank me for that.
    Go to r/choosingbeggars and indulge yourself.
    You'll be laughing for days.
    Also, listen to Louis Rossman talking about Don't accept the premises of assh0les.

DirtyMiners and Airbud like this.

16. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Just a half hour before some one called me about fixing his Mercedes GPS.
    Humble bragging much?
    You are rich enough to buy a Mercedes, but unwilling to pay their fee for updating the maps?
    Nevertheless, I wasted his time speaking about cryptographic keys, tampering and logs and look, I want to do it, but Mercedes makes it so hard... Better go see them!
    Get a grip of the reality mister!

17. Airbud

Airbud Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5600XT
    hahaha!...another good one Bro!.....:p

18. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Life of a tech, geek . The gift that keeps on giving.

Some things I simply wipe from my memory or something. But some are worthy to laugh and share.
    I worked in a government institution, and still bound to a confidential agreement on some information. Even that after this year I could say anything, I will not.
    But some fool tried to bribe me and pull some information out of me. Some private and delicate IT details.
    Lured him in a "secret meeting" where my former employers agency waited and at the right cue, stepped in and asked a few questions. Leaved the place with the most confident posture and had my mind at ease.
    Never herd anything else about that incident, only a thank you email from my former employer showed up in my inbox.

Caesar, Keitosha, Loster and 3 others like this.
  19. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    But guys, sorry for derailing the thread on my side, I want to hear YOUR stories, your answer to people that ask you the question in the thread title.
    Let's hear it.

Airbud likes this.
  20. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    HAHAH I usual tell them they can not afford me, they ask you that good? and I reply hell if I know, but what ever payment you hand in mind is not enough to make me want to. and there thought is usual it free.

It shuts the up for good. I dont even want deal with crap for my personal use, forget about for family and friend cause they think I will do it for free. I dont even want to deal with windows and its "fun" times

DirtyMiners likes this.