What sort of power supply failures have users experienced here?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Astyanax, May 12, 2021.

1. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    I've had pops and smelly

gradual weakening of voltages (once old age, twice due to antec choosing bad caps)

and my latest just now was i put my system to sleep, and when it came back out my mainboard voltages were not what they should have been, and the next shutdown resulted in no power at all.

RIP Seasonic X-850KM3

Long live Prime GX 850.

2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I have only two PSUs for home rigs, and both still work fine.

PS I do not use sleep, btw.

3. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    the standby circuit (5vsb) is responsible for some LEDS that stay lit when powered off, it looks like the 5vsb relay either failed, or the 12v primary (Blue 230w can) did.

I only use sleep/hibernate for power outage recovery usually, though this time i did it to reset the winbond sensor on the motherboard as i had hung it by running speedfan and aida64 together (oops)

theres a slight acrid smell, im sure something tiny burnt, theres a mosfet on the back that i've seen get mentioned too.

https://badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=68443

4. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    me too.
    and then my psu failed as well.

but seriously,I had an xfx(seasonic) unit kill my r9 290 cards.caps kept failing.same pattern repeated until I replaced the psu.they worked fine until they didn't.it was hard to diagnose.I eneded up just rma'ing every part of the computer and then reassembling it with a new psu.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 13, 2021

5. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    Most of the time it's the +12V amperage that do up and down until completely down.
    Most lasting for now: Superflower, Fortron and old Corsair (new one are weaker) for normal one
    Fortron for redundant one.
    Most failed for me: Cooler Master and Antec (all series)

6. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    Yes they were.
    It was the flux-generational cyphen in your old psu that was the issue.
    Need to do better dude, pick up the pace back there!

7. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    I had a corsair cx750 fail after 2 months in a secondary rig, which was running an 4570k @ 4,5 ghz and 680 in sli. Should have been well within its capabilities, but cheap psu is cheap... it just popped while running witcher 3.

I had another one pop during a lightning storm, which is more understandable... was a midrange antech - cant remember the exact model.

My current corsair ax1200i has lasted for 8 years so far, and it's showing no anomalies. But im gonna change it regardless when its warranty runs out at 10 years.

8. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Have a superflower 750w single rail psu and its one of the best i've ever used. Its even in my current system stable af. :D

Antec has failed me long time ago no more.

9. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    I've always overspent when buying psu, just makes sense.

Airbud, cucaulay malkin, The1 and 2 others like this.
  10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    i was not expecting Sleep to kill a $300 power supply.

almost 4 years out of a 5 year warranty, im not even going to bother to RMA, it'll take to much downtime when i can get a new psu shipped overnight.

DannyD likes this.

11. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    I would RMA it, buy a new unit, and sell the replacement unit i get :)

12. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    warranty service is gonna whine about including all cables, i can't be arsed, the KM3+ all use the same cable pinouts so i just swapped units to minimize downtime
    also i have had the top off to clean the fan, they'll try and claim i jammed a screw driver in there cluelessly and blew it up lol.

13. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    My previous Corsair HX650W had one of the caps explode, it was 8 years old... after looking at the circuitry inside it looked like the cap that exploded had something to do with the fan.

14. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Some people no doubt do carelessly put screwdrivers into psu's and blow them up.

I remember many years ago (like 2004), the psu's in the schools stationary pc's had switches for 230v and 110v on the backside of the psu's. So some of my co-students swapped the switch on 3 of the psu's while the computers were turned on, causing them to shoot fire and electricity out the backside... had to get fire extinguishers to get it under control.

15. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    My Hx620 is the one that i mentioned died of natural causes/age, thats assuming its actually dead...... 12v still tests high, 5v tests lowish but still in spec.

the fan is all i touched, the psu was already mostly dust free thanks to air dusting.

16. Mikcannon

Mikcannon Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX980 Strix w/c
    My Corsair HX850 is still going strong from 2006, I think. (When I got the gtx 8800 SLI twin.)
    Just thought I'd throw that in.

17. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Corsair HX750 bought in 2007 still works powering a i7 860 computer.- sold
    eVGA Super Nova750W bought in 2017 I think goes strong still. -sold

actual eVGA Super Nova 650W - no issues whatsoever.

The one and only PSU problem was my first cheapo one, which died and took something else with it. I learned quickly not to skimp on the PSU, but as Murphy law states, one can experience failures even with the best PSU brands.

18. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    i overspent on anything i wish to keep for 5+ years.
    well,i don't know if overspend is the right word here.i meant I was fine with extending my budget pretty far to get a better one
    os drives - bought 850pro's
    psu
    cpu cooler
    kb+m
    case+fans
    monitors

DannyD likes this.
  19. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I bought Enermax 350W and 430W PSUs (I think) in early 2000's, both became unstable a few years later, caused by large voltage drops under load.
    I think they were subject to the crap capacitor scam.

The only explosion I encountered was when working at a computer store in my youth that took out most of the machine.
    It was a cheap PSU from Taiwan, as were most components in those days.

Oh yes, one other.
    I tried a cheapy PSU from Ebuyer in mid 2000's and the fan died after a few months.
    I only realised when passing my hand over the top of the PC and the air was hot.
    Got lucky, the PSU case was far too hot to touch! Could have gone in a bad way if the solder had melted.
    That was the last cheap PSU I bought.

edit
    One more explosion!
    A friends uncles computer had stopped working, I volunteered to look at it. About 10 years ago.
    The power supply was dead so we went to PC World (on a Sunday, there wasnt anywhere else to go).
    They only had really really crap cheap ones, I didnt want to get one insisting we order online, but my friend bought it.
    Got it back to his Uncles, did a test power on and BANG! Good call to test before connecting it.
    We ordered a better PSU online and his PC worked fine.

Last edited: May 26, 2021
    386SX likes this.
  20. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    In my case only one PSU whuch failed on me is EVGA P2 1200W, I have tried to RMA that PSU 6 times and I sent that PSU to EVGA EU but after Brexit this PSU couldn't be sent and its returning to me as boomerang hahaha

Its so complicated now to RMA something outside the UK hahaha

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura