RX 6900 XT drops FPS every 2 minutes

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Reven8e, May 19, 2021.

1. Reven8e

Reven8e Member

GPU:
    Hi, everyone. Just bought a new rx 6900 xt phantom gaming and don't know what to do. It drops frames every 2 minutes. Drops for 5 fps: from rock solid 120 to 115, from 60 to 55 for a few seconds, then it works fine another 2 minutes, then drops again and again. See image. I reinstalled latest windows 10 pro, installed intel chipset drivers, latest radeon dirvers full package, msi ab and steam with one game to test it. All the same happened. I took geforce card from a friend, ddu'ed drivers and all works flawless with his card, 5 minutes long and not a single drop. Then put my card again and it drops every two damn minutes. WTF?? So much dissapoinment, dont know where to dig solution. Need help!

[​IMG]

2. Godhand007

Godhand007 Active Member

GPU:
    RX 6900 XT
    Could this be an issue with a specific game that you are testing? Have you tried running any stable benchmark or demo of another game and see if that works fine?

3. Reven8e

Reven8e Member

GPU:
  4. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB

5. Reven8e

Reven8e Member

GPU:
    i dont have freesync.

6. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Using a freesync and framelimiting below your refresh rate (140fps for a 144hz monitor) would fix your issue.

Question is why dont you have a compatible display for a 2,000$ graphics card?

scajjr2 likes this.
  7. Reven8e

Reven8e Member

GPU:
    Why should i? Cuz amd can't do good software? I'm playing on 4k tv which is kinda support freesync but it's not working properly lol. It's loosing signal when in freesync, so i use v-sync which i was using with previous 1080ti with ZERO issues. Now my setup is just unplayable with this amd card.

8. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    And a tv, great. I think you should have gotten a ps5, stick to the consoles.

9. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Tv should never be a problem. Saying one should use a monitor instead or stick to consoles is just silly even more since the post linked to is actually a user with monitors attached.

No idea how to solve this, hopefully someone at AMD will see the importance to this, as this is probably a driver problem. You can either wait to see what happens , or just sell the card and get a different one.

I'd go for the latter one personally.

AuerX and cucaulay malkin like this.
  10. Reven8e

Reven8e Member

GPU:

11. Reven8e

Reven8e Member

GPU:
    I will try to play with switching back and forth in color depth and color format as suggested at amd forum, but yeah playing on tv with broken v-sync is dead like. I put it on our selling site like ebay but not many want to buy amd even if it cost like 3070 but much powerful, people here knows that amd cant handle their drivers since forever.

Im playing on tv in single games on pc since forever, never had a single problem, always rock solid 60 fps while consoles give laggy 30 fps. From 1080h tv to nowadays 4k tv and was zero problems with nvidia cards, but miners... and have to bought amd card, and what a surprise, from now on i can't play how i played many years.

12. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 X3
    May be something with your system, not card itself.
    Had some time ago actually worse case, when fps constantly, every 2-3seconds went down for a fraction of second 10-20fps less. Very annoying. With gtx 1080. It was system issue, after reinstall was gone. Maybe some bug/virus or as setting I had.

13. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    Format clean your rig. You gave money for new hardware and you cannot afford a proper backup with its reinstallation?

14. Reven8e

Reven8e Member

GPU:
    Are u blind? " I reinstalled latest windows 10 pro, installed intel chipset drivers, latest radeon dirvers full package, msi ab and steam with one game to test it." Clean install with zero software and others didnt help.

Can u test on your system with v-sync enabled any game if it drops fps within 2-3 minutes just standing still in game?

15. lowrider_05

lowrider_05 Active Member

GPU:
    AMD RX 6900 XTXH LC
    Hello, i will try to help you because i also game with my 6900xt on an OLED 4K TV wich does NOT support Freesync/VRR etc. but what i use since AMD made it, is Enhanced Sync and then Limit the Framerate to what your monitor can display in my case its 60HZ/FPS. Note: you need to disable vsync in game!
    [​IMG]
    (Image just for reference)

I hope this will help you

16. Reven8e

Reven8e Member

GPU:
    Can u test if v-sync enabled in game will drop fps from 60 to 55 on your system in 2 minutes or so? Also with Enhanced Sync should i turn v-sync off in games? And how to limit framerate then? With rtss or something? Thx for help!

17. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    With enhanced sync turn off v-sync in games as it has no effect anyway. Enhanced sync should basically disable it. You can use Radeon Chill to limit fps.

18. lowrider_05

GPU:
    AMD RX 6900 XTXH LC
    sorry but i am at work for another 6+ hours so i can not test anything right now, i can test it once i get home but i never use Vsync because of the lag that is intoduced from it.

I usually limit fps in game settings if possible or with the chill option in the radeon settings.

19. Reven8e

Reven8e Member

GPU:
    But that lag is barely noticeable and screen tearing goes away.

Is there any tearing with this options? Cuz all this limiters without syncronization still gave tearing. Even g-sync on nvidia with v-sync turned off gave tearing, so there always need to use g-sync+v-sync in case of nvidia.

20. lowrider_05

GPU:
    AMD RX 6900 XTXH LC
    there should be no tearing with this option but just test it and you´ll see

if you need an detailed explenation on how it works:

Last edited: May 20, 2021