I got a new camera and a little myth busting

Discussion in 'Digital Photography, Home and Portable Electronics' started by vestibule, May 19, 2021.

1. vestibule

vestibule Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac sff rtx4070s
    So with the cost of PC hardware being currently out of control I decided to look else where to get rid of my annual PC disposable income budget for a better value product.
    I went for a new camera. I have had the Sony RX100m1 pocket friendly camera from that time. Its pretty bust up now but still takes amazing snaps as well as true HD video with obvs built in zoom.
    I dont have time or the patience for those interchangeable multi KG monsters.
    So My new camera is the RX100m7. I nearly did not buy one because of the reviews by those so called reputable blokes who know what they are on about?
    Anyway I spotted a good deal and jumped in.
    THE MYTH BUSTING FIRST. HDR and MACRO
    Good at macro shooting? Yes I found it to be incredible and better than my m1/ same settings
    HDR shooting? Yes once set up for best results the m7 is better than my m1/ same settings
    For better results in HDR shooting my settings are P: Flash/of, Focus mode/ single shot AF, Autofocus area/ centre, ISO AUTO, Metering mode/ centre, Auto WB, Dro/Auto HDR set at AUTO HDR, ISO noise reduction/ Normal.
    I guess these settings will work well with the a9 and a7.
    The m7 comes with a view finder which is terrific as the view is adjustable for impaired eyesight and as I'm getting older that feature was a must.
    Also I found the colours to be a tittle truer on the m7 and the m7 is almost noise free operation compared to the m1 and the m7 is fantastically fast.
    I'm not to sure about reputable? reviewers? who just want to piss on stuff!

Last edited: May 19, 2021
  2. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    You spent $ 1300 on a new camera?:eek:
    And I felt miserable spending some 600 €on a new NAS and some HDDs. I feel better now
    /S:cool:
    Good to see some new things in the camera/media world. Nice compact camera, I imagined something a whole lot bigger.

3. vestibule

vestibule Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac sff rtx4070s
    No my friend. I got a good deal. Like you I'm no blank check book.
    I guess it wont be long before Sony put the RX 1inch sensor in an Xperia phone and sell it with an attachable zoom.

4. zipper

zipper Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680M
    Got a Panasonic LUMIX DMC-TZ100 a couple of years ago at about € 600, now it's € 350. 1 inch sensor and 10x zoom. At that price it's a steal!

5. vestibule

vestibule Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac sff rtx4070s
    Zipper nice avatar. Erm yeah good call the Lumix. TBH my m7 is so feature packed that I may find it difficult to make regular use of those features. But no matter. For sure though, for a pocket friendly camera I would always look to one of the RX100 variants which are often on special offer depending on budget of course.
    BTW it look like I'm a fan boy. Hey ho. :rolleyes:

6. zipper

zipper Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680M
    Yes, the "best" pocket cameras are so packed with features. I can probably use mine at 5% - there are tens of options and until the right one is found the situation might be over....My Canon 16 years ago was so easy, mostly just press the button...

7. Raserian

Raserian Master Guru

GPU:
    I am fan of compacts as well, it seems today people either get DLR with costly and heavy interchangeable lenses or you get expensive phone with better camera. I find compacts to be satisfactory and much better than phone cameras. Gratz on the purchase.

vestibule likes this.
  8. vestibule

vestibule Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac sff rtx4070s
    no1.JPG

RX100 in action. Each flower is as big as a finger nail.
    Thanks to Guru3D.com for allowing me to show one of my piccies.
    Click to enlarge.:)

Last edited: May 20, 2021
    AlmondMan and AsiJu like this.