GeForce RTX 3000 and Radeon RX 6000 now threefold more expensive over MSRP

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 18, 2021.

1. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    I Paid $1900 NZ for my 3080 from Playtech and thought that was to much. Now they are between $2,600 and 4k. It's just insane.

Athlonite likes this.
  2. DarkQuark

DarkQuark Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700 XT
    Politicians the world over are almost always grifters. They tell you want you want to hear to get elected, pandering to every group and all they do once they get the power is enrich themselves. It's gone on forever it is nothing new. So you can bet anything they hammer into the population is nothing but a scheme to enrich themselves in one way or another. This is why messages are mixed and why their actions don't seem to make sense. You have to understand their actual motivation and then it all makes sense.

MonstroMart likes this.
  3. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    I don´t think this will happen because only miners are willing to pay those silly prices due to the gold rush. And as soon as the gold rush dies, no one else will pay 2 or 3 times more for a GPU.

But i think AMD and Nvidia are going to take advantage of this situation and raise their prices because they now people are willing to pay more for a GPU than before...

CrazY_Milojko and Undying like this.
  4. Kaktus

Kaktus Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1060
    I dont foresee that happening at all. It might take a long time to recover but i am positive that it eventually will normalize.
    If it never does just imagine all the millions of kids around the globe whose parents won't be able to afford these expensive cards for xmas and bifday gifts for their children. sad sad. :D

Undying likes this.

5. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    Where I live there is a shop that fixes hardware. They never had so many people bringing dead GPUs for repair, like 30 a day.
    People are selling dead RX580 for 250€ or so, crazy...

@Undying an Xbox Series S costs 300€, it's the only way I see right now to get into gaming.

New games will have a hard time selling if they don't stick with old hardware requirements.
    But even so, old hardware dies too and needs to be replaced.
    I'm not exited by the day I have to quit gaming on a PC, and its soon.

Airbud and Undying like this.
  6. definfinite

definfinite Member

GPU:
    GG6602G
    The price of GPUs, just like any other commodities are based on supply and demand. Right now demand far outstrips supply, and even supply has it's issues, so obviously prices are far higher than what we expect. IMHO there is a correlation between crpyto mining profitablity and global economic disruption. As soon as the supply side gets back on track and the global economic situation normalizes somewhat, demand will dip and we will see lower prices. It might take a while. It might take more than a year from now, but eventually it will happen.

Undying likes this.
  7. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    Just have to relativise it's X3 the price, but they never reached the shop at that price, as they never reached at all...
    Also 1 week or 2 ago the 5 Asrock RX6700 XT that reached shop next to my place were around 560 Euro.

8. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    As long as the cards sold are going into scalper or miner hands, I won't blame the shops for raising prices to scalper levels. There's no way for a store to know what's going to happen to a card as soon as it leaves the store's warehouse. Even some of the perfectly reasonable looking people here at Guru3D are miners. Other than that, it doesn't really matter what a shop lists a card's price as if they haven't got anything to sell. If they still accept orders despite zero stock, they are more likely to have raised the price.

I feel pity for myself and every other PC gamer (be they casual or serious), but as things are, you just have to accept the reality that PC gaming is currently trying to hold its breath. You can't reasonably buy a new gaming video card. You can buy one unreasonably, but you shouldn't do it as it only feeds the insanity. The real, fundamantel culprits are the people who feed real money into the crypto scheme due to greed, hoping for a quick buck or to launder criminal money. Of course there's also the occasional anarchist who wishes crypto would replace national/union currencies. I doubt they have that much money to invest in the bigger picture, though.

9. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Sticking with my 5700xt for years to come. No time to play, and nothing to play in any case.
    So I'm mostly sticking to retro gaming. For which it's super plenty.

Embra and Pinstripe like this.
  10. mackintosh

mackintosh Maha Guru

GPU:
    The cheapest 3080 I could find right now is going for 3.5x MSRP. High-end PC gaming is definitely dead at this price point.

jbscotchman likes this.

11. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Same here. I picked up my 1070 at Frys for $399 on the week they were released. I keep telling her wow look at those impressive FPS' you are putting out. She needs to make it a little while longer and I don't want her getting depressed.

TheDeeGee and Airbud like this.
  12. Airbud

Airbud Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5600XT
    this should worry game developers also.

PS5 is $1000+ at walmart

jbscotchman likes this.
  13. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    I have a 5700XT in my system and a GTX 1070 in my drawer. I'll keep using those until they die and clear my Steam backlog and then quit gaming. I'm getting too old for this crap anyway. My work doesn't really require a powerful GPU so i'll just buy the more powerful APU on the market and call it a day.

This said i don't think we will reach that point. If it keeps going for 5-10 years this will become such a big problem than governments wont have any choice but to regulate. Many fields important in our society like medical, science, design, .... depend on powerful computers and GPU and if price keep rising because of the lack of availability i don't see the US government being able to afford not getting involved.

The problem is not really the price. It's availability. The price depends on it. If the market would be flooded with GPU the price would go down to a more normal state (maybe not MSRP but at least something you can afford). We all know why there's an availability problem. And no it's not because the whole world decided to turn into gamers and buy a new computer because of COVID (maybe at the beginning but certainly not now). I don't know a single soul who bought a GPU last year. Not one. We all know why there's no cards available. Personally at this point i question whatever the cards even leave china.

14. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    If things don't change it will be very hard for them. Personally i wont buy any new game until things go back to normal. I have a huge Steam and EPIC backlog anyway and my 5700 XT struggles to run new games at 3440x1440p with a fps over 100. I'll clear my backlog of games i can play with my 5770 XT and GTX 1070 i have enough games for the next 5 years anyway.

Airbud and Kaarme like this.
  15. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    How can a scalper sell for 1700€ if he buys the card for the same price? Where's the profit? A scalper needs to find the "think of the gamers!" store owner who keeps selling for 700€. The scalper buys all of those cards, using his bots that no human can beat, and then sells those cards for the healthy profit of 1000€ per card. The shop owner made, at the very maximum, 100€ profit per card. This is what the store owners got bored of and raised their prices majorly, in addition to the fact they as well needed to pay more because the AIBs had raised prices.

The scalpers are the greedy bastards. And the miners. But the most greedy bastards are the people who invest real money into crypto wishing to double their wealth overnight. And of course the drug baron who has five million euros of dirty money that somehow needs to be laundered. The latter two people are the real reason why we can't buy video cards.

MonstroMart likes this.

16. mackintosh

mackintosh Maha Guru

GPU:
    At this point I am convinced the scalpers are actually retailers and distributors selling their stock through stand-ins.

17. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    I agree. It's the same dilemma i have when i'm selling old hardware. On one hand i would like to sell it cheap to a young student. I was there once studying 40+ hours a week while working 20+ hours a week and i was not able to afford better than a crap computer that was not able to run Unreal despite my hard work.

But every time i list something for cheap the guy knocking on my door is obviously a reseller. By the time i realize it's a reseller (never 100% sure but i got the feeling) the sell is almost done and at that point i might as well just sell it for the advertised price. so now i list old hardware for the maximum price even if i feel it's a crazy price because well i don't want to sell cheap stuff to resellers.

So yeah i agree can't blame the stores for asking the maximum they can. Miners buy the cards with bots anyway. 99% of normal people don't they check what's available then go read reviews and then think about it before buying. So at the end of the day the cards are almost all going to miners so might as well sell them for 2 grands i perfectly understand the stores.

18. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    saw a 3070 FE ebay listing, the setller claiming "This retails for $1700"

LIAR.

19. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 X3
    Lol, did not realize that Playtech is real company. Their yt videos are brilliant, most of the time :)

Maddness likes this.
  20. GeniusPr0

GeniusPr0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Surpim LiquidX 4090
    Retails for 2000+ instead :D