Cant Choose A Replacment Board For My i7-4790 Non K

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by EliteKnighter, Feb 14, 2021.

?

What would the best board at the 100$ Mark

1. Asus Z87-C

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Asus Z87-K

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Asus B-85-A-R2.0

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Im Not Overclocking so no or save for ROG MAXIMUS VI Z87 - Asus Z97-K - Asus Z97-P

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  1. EliteKnighter

EliteKnighter Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX1070 8GB
    I am simple confussed since here in AUS getting new 1150 boards only shows 1 2slot board but there are some that look healthy and was wondering what to chose.

I game with a Msi Z97 PC MATE 1070 G1 8GB 32gb Ram and the i7 4790 I dont plan overclocking but want to make sure its not cheap.

I say the asus Z87-C and Z87-K and cannot chose plus there just under 100$ but there are better boards but I have no need the msi board I have is starting to age and it has 2 cpu pins bent by pure luck it lasted a year but I am noticing speed issues slow games even csgo and css seem to stutter more and I'v tried all the stuff on my friends old pc and his G2200 with my 1070 and tested it on his spare 1150 board but it has 4x slot from a dell system and the ram are fine.

Heres the List

100$ AU

Asus Z87-C

Asus Z87-K

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ASUS-Z8...421796?hash=item3db53913e4:g:Lc8AAOSwYRxgFTJ0

105$ AU

Asus B-85-A-R2.0

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Asus-B8...001643?hash=item3db523686b:g:JkkAAOSww9BgJT7K

160$ AU

Asus Z97-P

Asus Z97-K

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Asus-Z9...521903?hash=item3db600f82f:g:MYAAAOSw7FBgInx~

199$ AU

ROG MAXIMUS VI Z87

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ROG-MAX...658719?hash=item3db621931f:g:FosAAOSwbVVfs8Pu

I thinking of the Z87-K since more VRM
    But if C better of let me know

:)

I know there only decent boards to chose from I am hoping the Z87 is my best bet 100$ plus 4 ram slots for my ram and planty of stuff.

Yes I know cost of hardware in AUS is horrendis a MSRP new gpu like a 3090 is 3000$ AU 2300US that is the cheapest card.

2. EliteKnighter

EliteKnighter Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX1070 8GB
    I got the X87-K Board

3. jaggerwild

jaggerwild Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 SUP
    Why throw money at a dead plate form?

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    if it still turns on, it aint dead.

mezball likes this.

5. Jvee

Jvee Guest

GPU:
    Na
    Excellent single core performance and low heat.
    Everything since then hasn’t improved significantly unless you need the extra 4 / 6 / 12 cores.

Now that AMD is smoking them, and they;ve got a new team, I have faith they will strike back sooner than the “leaked” roadmaps declare.

If not, an AMD 5750G APU (desktop) later this year will replace my i7/4790k’s.

I use the ASRock Rack H97 and Z97 because I use 1U ATX Chassis. Great boards still available but you’d have to break down and spend 200-230 bucks. They last for years.

Valken likes this.
  6. Sir Galahad

Sir Galahad Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti ssc
    I was all ready to say don't bother with either of those and pick up a Z97 chipset Maximus Vii as they are really cheep.

But I just checked the Australian ebay site and the cheapest working one on there is $430!! Yikes!!
    And I thought England was bad for prices at the moment!

How about this Asus z97k, it's a bit cheaper than the one you linked:
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ASUS-In...c8:g:flAAAOSwjXVazcJf&LH_BIN=1&frcectupt=true

I'd try and get z97 if you can. You'll loose M.2 support if you don't. Very handy if you want to upgrade your SSD in the future.

The Haswell platform is still very viable today for everything other than rendering. I'm holding out on a 4.7Ghz 4790K in my gaming PC and a 4.2Ghz 4930K (Ivy Bridge) in my general use PC. They both still do everything I ask of them.
    To upgrade now is insane anyway, with prices and availability being what they are.
    If I replaced my 4930k PC with a like for like build (I.E quad channel, 40x pci-e lanes, high end motherboard, RAM, PSU, case etc.) it would cost something like £3000. I think I paid £1500 new, if that.
    Motherboards are stupidly priced now too. I think I paid £120 for my Maximus Vii new. A Motherboard of that quality costs in the region of £300 today and £120 won't even get you on to the best chipset. Crazy times.

7. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    Persoanally i`d go for a z97 that has an m.2 slot...at least you`ll have some thing to upgrade, you`d be limited to pci-e 3 and probably x2 but will be better than sata 3.

8. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    If you think that's bad, try looking at the prices of defective motherboards. There's people trying to sell them for around £50 (at least for the Z170).

9. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    This happens with older hardware, as it becomes EOL and manufacturing stops a lot of people want to keep their hardware alive and not buy new stuff. With limited availability, with a lot of boards ending up being kept by customers, or in landfills, or stripped for parts, the price goes up.

I remember when we had DDR3 memory as the current option, and trying to get hold of much older DDR1 RAM was insane with prices on ebay and the like going as high as £300 for 4-8GB.

I remember when the X58 platform was EOL and we had a few more generations of chips from Intel. I think around the 4000-5000 series. A lot of people noticed that the X58 platform had a lot of Xeon supported motherboards. And the Xeons from that time were actually pretty good ranging from 4 core 8 threads to 6 or even 12 cores with HT. These chips were being dumped onto ebay by users and even companies that used them in servers. You could get a 6 core 12 thread Xeon for like £50-£100 on ebay. This started a craze of building a PC with these chips and with games at the time starting to use multicore more effectively and with the at the time current Intel lineup still being 4 core 8 thread parts or the current Xeons being extremely expensive people turned to these still very capable chips.

But what happened was the demand for the CPU's rose but because there was tons of them in the wild the prices stayed pretty low, but the motherboards went into crazy as hell territory. With some of the more extreme boards going for like £650 on ebay. This in turn also increased prices of triple channel memory kits as well as X58 used a triple channel memory controller (even though you didn't need it) the prices for these also rose as well.

I am sure there are still some Gurus on her running some of these Xeons chips from this era.

10. Sir Galahad

Sir Galahad Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti ssc
    I was running an X58 PC in my living room until last year when the motherboard finally gave up the ghost.
    Swapped it out for an X79 board with Ivy bridge E and the difference is only marginal in most games.
    It almost seems as if the gap between Nehalem and Sandy bridge has narrowed as time has gone on and the gap between Ivy and Haswell has gotten bigger. Just from my own personal experience.

The same thing happened between Core 2 and Nehalem. Small gap to begin with but nowadays the difference is gargantuan.

11. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    I have an Asrock Z97 Formula OC MB. I LOVE this MORE than my previous Asus P7Pro which ended it's life when the PSU surged over a lighting storm.

If you can find an Asrock Z97 Gamer, get that as the price is better than Asus and has beefy VRM.

You can not go wrong with any Asus Z97 MB as well, but the prices are high.

12. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    did you crank up the clocks on the IVY?

13. Sir Galahad

Sir Galahad Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti ssc
    Yes, I have a bit but not much.

I had the x5675 at 4.3Ghz and the 4930k is at 4.2ghz.
    Stock voltage on both.
    They both could probably take a bit more. I ran the x5675 at 4.5ghz but you pay dearly for that extra 200mhz in noise and heat.
    I haven't really tried to push the 4930k yet, I was surprised it could do 4.2 with stock voltage so just left it at that.

Memory is 2133mhz for ivy and was 2000mhz for x5675. Ivy can do 2400mhz but it has a glitch where read speeds actually drop at that specific bclk to ram ratio.

14. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    When i had x5680 then jumped to sandy-e 3930k difference was not that big at all. 6c/12t and similar ram on both configs actually x58 still decent at the time. Both cpus ware at 4.2ghz.