GTX 970 BCRT error when flashing backup with NVflash

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by Phil Tuncap, May 3, 2021.

1. Phil Tuncap

Phil Tuncap Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 970 4096mb
    long story short my gpu is currently in softbrick mode, and Ive been trying to flash the backup that i made beforehand. When I use the modified NVflash, i get a BCRT Error:
    IMG_20210503_004837.jpg modified version 5.287

and when I use the normal version, it doesnt save the flash:
    Screenshot_20210503-010951_VLC.png official version 5.692

Anyone know what I'm forgetting to do?

Last edited: May 3, 2021
  2. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
  3. Phil Tuncap

GPU:
    GTX 970 4096mb
    hey actually i fixed it after several hours of determination ha. And the fix was on that link u posted :0 i used that when i flashed the custom rom but i overlooked the sentence that had a link for v5.218...best for maxwells it said lol. worked no problem, altho i had hours of constant rebooting, fighting with windows wanting to try and use the gpu, group policies that didnt work right, but learned things thru all this :0 i think i know why the custom rom didnt work so i might try again later.

jura11 likes this.
  4. Phil Tuncap

GPU:
    GTX 970 4096mb
    to explain a bit more while I have a min.. in the case someone else happens to run into a similar issue...after I flashed the custom rom, enabled my gpu, and rebooted, the screen stayed black. In the event that u dont have a spare gpu, or onboard graphics, i found a usb to vga adapter at office depot that did the job. Only thing is i couldnt get in to bios or anything, display only worked once windows loaded, but only if the gpu was disconnected.

This presented a problem for me since I had enabled it before I rebooted, and you cant enable or disable a hidden (disconnected) device in Device Manager. So i thought, maybe in the registry windows has that option, would just need an ID to search for. Never made it that far, someone showed me how to prevent windows from installing drivers for a device through the Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc), since if i tried uninstalling the gpu, when i would reboot, windows would attempt to install drivers, and windows would eventually freeze. So if you uninstall the device thru Device Manager, and before you reboot, go to gpedit.msc, and head to Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates and here you'll split off into 2 subcategories.

In System/Device Installation/Device Installation Restrictions, and Enable the policy "Prevent installation of devices that match any of these device IDs".

In Windows Components/Windows Update you will want to Enable the policy "Do not include drivers with Windows Update". If you have no internet connection though you can skip this policy. After several (a LOT) times switching policies back and forth, somehow it eventually prevented me from connecting to my WiFi, which all magically was fixed once I successfully flashed my backup rom later. I'll continue explaining when I have more time to...

5. Phil Tuncap

GPU:
    GTX 970 4096mb
    So after you change the policies (the gpu should be disconnected at this point), shut down and push the card back in, then boot up and windows will boot up, after a long delay usually. Using the modded v5.210 NVflash, you can now flash simply by doing "nvflash xxx.rom", answer Y, and let it do its thing for a brief moment. After a successful flash go ahead and reboot, and upon booting into windows you can revert the group policies in gpedit.msc. Reboot again if u want, and windows will install the default drivers to which u can now install the geforce drivers. Believe that should do it.

6. Phil Tuncap

GPU:
    GTX 970 4096mb
    Oh, in the case that windows is still prevented from installing any drivers, you'll need to set those Policies to Disabled instead of Not Configured. Someone that was helping me guessed that Not Configured chooses the last state it was in, and in this case, Enabled, even tho it says otherwise.