RTSS/NVidiaV3 FrameRateLimiter causing Engine Rendering Artifacts in RDR2

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by SerjRozov, Apr 17, 2021.

1. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    nvidia is currently on top of Vulkan loaders.

2. SerjRozov

SerjRozov Member Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 Xtreme
    well, im on 466.27 anyway

3. SerjRozov

SerjRozov Member Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 Xtreme
    Last edited: May 2, 2021
  4. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    Eh, he closed the thread, so on the RTSS side there won't be any fixes, pretty mature man lol.

I doubt nvidia can solve this if fps limiter causes it, means it's related to the game's engine and could only be fixed either by devs or be tweaking the way the fps limiter deals with the hooking on the game's engine.

Last edited: May 3, 2021
    SerjRozov likes this.

5. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Probably I know how the limiter works, unlike you?
    Take it as the last warning, if I see any of you referencing me or RTSS in this issue and talking about "maturity" of my decision of closing the issues unrelated to RTSS, your stupidity won't be tolerated anymore. It applies to both topic starter and @Smough.

Cave Waverider likes this.
  6. SerjRozov

SerjRozov Member Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 Xtreme
    Yeah, i'm almost sure there's a small writing somewhere like the game itself was not supposed to be played with frl feature on, meaning no gsync/freesync whatever, ofc not only if you can cap it higher 100fps, then yeah, its not a game bug at that point, we're just missed that. Pretty solid statement, i agree lol.

Smough likes this.
  7. SerjRozov

SerjRozov Member Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 Xtreme
    Then maybe you should just explain what should we do to avoid this issue instead of being an arrogant fck?

8. Unwinder

Arrogant fck is located between your chair and keyboard. World is not rotating around your gaming, it is nobody's job to educate you here.

A game can tie ANYTHING to framerate due to game developer’s decision. Some games may link physics calculation to it (e.g. old good Quake III), so using ANY limiter may affect the height of your jump. Some games may link level loading to framerate (e.g. DooM 2016), so using ANY limiter may increase loading time drastincally. Some games may link effects rendering timings to framerate. None of these things are framerate limiter issues and can be “fixed” from this side. If you still fail to get it – you need to learn how your PC and framerate limiting work.

You stole my weekend, pretty expensive one in this COVID time. You stole a bit of my life, which I could spend with my family. And instead of doing so I’m forced to comment stupid claims and reply to your and @Smough's childish LOL-styled comments. Since now both of you are undesired guests in RTSS and MSI AB sections, I treat you as troublemakers and trolls who absolutrely don’t understand NO reply and keep trying to get your “smart” questions answered with any means necessary.

Ant1Cheater likes this.
  9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
  10. SerjRozov

SerjRozov Member Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 Xtreme
    More like between my phone and my bed.
    Anyway, I am sorry for asking for help in this forum, apparently its not made for this. I am also sorry to hear that your planet is under some virus attack, we're here on Europa (satellite of Jupiter) didnt knew that, wish you all best, get well, and we're sorry cuz we dont have any mates to spend our time with, instead we're just wasting our weekends on how to find and eliminate issues that your Earth game/software developers create for us as an undewater customers. Now we understand, thank you, we are in retreat.

Smough likes this.

11. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    Threatening people over making posts and opinions because you are a forum moderator? Admirable. You're someone looking forward to. Got it, won't make any more opinions or statements about RTSS on this forum, have I known this was forbidden, I wouldn't even have participated on this thread from the beginning. Have a good one.

SerjRozov likes this.
  12. SerjRozov

SerjRozov Member Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 Xtreme
    No, wait. I lied. We didnt actually understood if buying a 144hz display will fix the issue or not. Relentless.

13. Unwinder

Don’t you assume that it is possible to see what you post then remove?
    How I’m being forced to reply? Probably by explicitly referencing my nickname as a name of a person who should fix it for you? By claiming that it is RTSS bug? By coming to RTSS forum with exactly the same issue again AFTER I said that it is not RTSS problem and cannot help you with that? By LOLing at the fact that I closed this thread in RTSS subsection, linking it here and discussing how “mature” was the decision to close it there? You surely know how to support RTSS forum section much better, right? I’m forced to respond to such posts, if you ever supported your own product on the net instead of gaming 24/7 - you’d probably understand it.

Do not play the fool and victim. And keep cross-liking each other.

14. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    Haha... Rockstar won't do anything. There has been soo many much more game breaking bugs in the game for a while with no fix in sight. Rockstar still hasn't fixed the damn cold weather bug were NPCs thinking your always under dressed no matter how hot it is. That bug has been in the game since their December Content Update with no fix in sight.

Asking them to fix a graphics engine bug caused by external FPS limiters won't happen. At release I put in a ticket requesting a built-in FPS limiter in game and that never saw the light of day.

Smough likes this.
  15. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    This is why I didn't even bother contacting them, maybe we could have more luck by contacting nvidia, but that fix could take a while since it's not even a priority or something that needs a fix ASAP. Rarely pc users set an fps cap, most people just play at uncapped fps or simply set v-sync and play at 60 fps without any sort of limiting and just let v-sync do its thing.

16. SerjRozov

SerjRozov Member Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 Xtreme
    Anyway, let's summarize what we've got at this point.

Unwinder made his point, and I kinda agree that it's possible, I mean R* could've attached frame rate to like graphics engine rendering (like DS series with it's game engine 60fps lock, caused more damage etc. and the examples that he provided with Quake etc.) some objects\models\physx, so at some lower Hz displays vertices'll explode or whatever happening there when (any) FRL feature is on, that kinda leads us to a situation where if you're an owner of such a display you'll have to choose between using this FRL feature with (say your display is also G-sync compatible etc) VRR or not, stupidly enough bcoz at this point they both should be enabled at the same time in order to use this G-sync\Freesync feature.

So, if we're certain that it's the game's issue, and we doubt that R* will implement it's own FRL in game (cuz you know, they'll have to unattach those parts of the engine from the frame rate for like who? 60-75Hz monitor peasant-owners? lol) and if it's not an issue of (any) FRL feature itself, then we have to figure, how much Hz display should have to avoid the issue and keep (or start) using both VRR+FRL but without those artifacts.

At this point we have only 170Hz Display with 60fps cap confirmed not having those artifacts. @Shadowdane have you tried capping it higher than 60? say 75, and like still not having this issue?

Maybe somebody with 144Hz display would leave their feedback here?

I am interested in this bcoz I'm kinda uncertain of how and why this s#!+ happening with some setups and doesn't with others. Starting to think about it as of like half refresh rate and like limitations of other old syncing\capping methods, where you had to keep performance twice as high as your refresh rate to use it, but thats just all in my head and I would've like to avoid it lol.
    I also would like to avoid a scenario of buying 144Hz display to know that it hasn't fixed anything :D so to speak, if we'll get an info of this problem is also occur on 144Hz, I'll personally look forward to <170Hz though I don't actually need it in the first place, but i can see already where the obsession by this game going to figure that i don't want to see those artifacts in RDO when I'll eventually buy it.

@DaRkL3AD3R what's your monitor? on that vid you've posted you got there 30fps cap in RDO with 7700k and 1080ti wtf dude ))

17. Unwinder

If you start reading, you'll see absolutely correct answer right in the second post made by @AsiJu :

"If you can record the flickering it's not caused by monitor."

Smough likes this.
  18. SerjRozov

SerjRozov Member Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 Xtreme
    If I had a gun, i would've probably used it lol

Wait, are you saying that monitor has nothing to do with it? Then how to explain that Shadowdane has no issues with 60fps cap on 170hz display, and I do with say same 60 cap on my 75hz display? when I cap it at 100fps no flickering occur, so that was like logical conclusion to get a better monitor. o_O

Last edited: May 4, 2021
  19. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    I recorded a clip of my gameplay showing the 60fps RTSS limited gameplay and also bumped it up to 80fps limit as well mid video. I don't see any glitches like you show in your videos with the warping textures/meshes. It does have some weirdness with loading textures though when switching outfits fast, which I think it just an issue with the texture streaming trying to load in assets.

The only time I've seen major warping/glitched textures in this game has been when I've tried to overclock too high (~2070Mhz or higher on my 3080 card) or extreme under-volting (850mv @ 1950Mhz with the Curve Editor) for example will show those types of artifacts basically not enough voltage for the target clock speed. If your video card is factory overclocked or your overclocking it's entirely possible you have things pushed a bit too high for RDR2 it's pretty sensitive with overclocks I've found.

SerjRozov likes this.
  20. DaRkL3AD3R

DaRkL3AD3R Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    Right from your video Shadowdane:
    https://i.imgur.com/xcSQY1d.png
    then exactly 1 frame later
    https://i.imgur.com/HbVClAq.png

That's the glitch. The clothing bugging out does not occur with no external framerate limiters enabled. If you see this clipped clothing issue, then you will get the same exploding vertices issue on clothes swap and skinning animals, it's just going to be less noticeable at higher fps because it only occurs for 1 frame. Faster the frames are changing, the harder it is to notice, but it is there.

SerjRozov likes this.