Rumors: ZEN3+ Cancelled and ZEN5 going for a BIG.little architecture

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 28, 2021.

1. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    You mean Modern Standby? Even if the platform supports it, I'm not aware of any software that supports it in the way I mentioned.

2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    When "platform" is mentioned. Isn't PS4 capable to DL updates while it is in rest mode?

3. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Ah, no, I basically meant Windows, he either means Windows with whatever software supports Modern Standby. But you're correct about the PS4. The dream would be that the OS could flag apps that would work in that mode, and they wouldn't even know what happened.

Zen 3 supports Modern Standby with the latest AGESA, but you need to format from zero to have it enabled, and it also depends on the motherboard.

Kevin Mauro and Fox2232 like this.
  4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti

not sure about having to format, the windows kernel is highly adaptive since 8 and 10's enhanced it further to the point you can drop an SSD from a phenom II into a system with a 11900k and reconfiguration of the machine is all automated.

Its true that theres very little software support for modern standby, and probably the same amount of hardware support for it, its highly unlikely a thing you would see HDD's support, but M.2's which are powered by the mainboard would.

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    It also means technological know-how exists for quite some time. On PC, all we got till now is WOL which means network interface does not sleep and keeps IP and is able to respond.

6. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/device-experiences/modern-standby
    upload_2021-5-3_13-26-38.png
    You're right in general, but this cannot be done like that according to Microsoft themselves.

Yeah, it's kind of pathetic to be honest. Although things like mixed standby can actually flush memory contents to disk for when a laptop is on standby for longer, which means I/O is there. Intel Macs also can use the network while in standby, so I think the limitations are more on the UEFI/OS side, rather than the hardware itself.

Kevin Mauro and Fox2232 like this.