Confirmed: GeForce RTX 3080 Ti with 12GB Gets Spotted in Transit

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 17, 2021.

1. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    yeah,I still think those steam numbers don't add up.

2. Skylinestar

Skylinestar Active Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1070
    Situation in my country:
    Dell/Alienware PC with RTX3080 = USD2000
    RTX3080 from a local store = USD2500

fantaskarsef and DannyD like this.
  3. barbacot

barbacot Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 SuprimX
    Doesn't seem much of a stock....hmm..all I need now is a couple of mini's, a canal with a fast boat and a van - they will make movies about me and the nvidia job.
    After selling them at the highest bidder I will buy an tropical island, populate it with all kind of playboy and penthouse models and "hail to the king baby".

4. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    If I lived in US or a place with GOOD custom PC builders I'd totally go for a prebuilt right now. Not an option here however...

jura11 likes this.

5. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    If you don't like it, don't buy it ;)

Simple

Fox2232 likes this.
  6. hijodeosiris

hijodeosiris Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT
    "Who are you, who are so wise in the ways of s̶c̶i̶e̶n̶c̶e̶ not giving a crap?"

You know an entitled brat when it thinks everyone should comply with their demands for them "it is not in my ways hence SUE!!!".

7. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I don't usually say this outright, but that's literally the dumbest idea i have ever heard.

You could have nvidia/AIBs have contracts with official suppliers that state they are not allowed to sell above MSRP that they stated, and if they fail to do this, no more supplies. But this wouldn't help, because it's not the official sellers 99% of the time selling massively above retail, it's the re-sellers.

But ultimately maybe you don't understand what MSRP means....

"manufacturer's SUGGESTED retail price"

8. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    No one. Literally not a single person.

The company that is putting the MSRP is not misleading unleas they themselves are selling for above their own MSRP.

The retailer that can't keep the stock in at MSRP are not misleading anyone as they are selling at those prices, doesn't matter if they sell out fast.

And the resellers are not misleading anyone either as they never claimed to abide by MSRP prices and fully within their rights to abide by current market rates of the products they are reselling.

The fact you even questioning this makes me wonder if you even understand what misleading means but then again you didnt understand what MSRP means so....i guess that's possible.

Just get off your high horse and understand that products in high demand will sell fast and resellers will be out there to cash in on these facts. There's nothing misleading about it and there's nothing you can do about it. I personally have gotten a 3070 and 3080 at MSRP, YES, i had to wait to get them due to HIGH DEMAND but you speak as if it's impossible and that is 100% factually incorrect.

Please show where MSI is charging double MSI's MSRP. I know of no card from MSI that is double nvidias MSRP, let alone MSI's MSRP. But the way you state this again makes me think that you just have zero clue how any of this works. Just because nvidia sets an MSRP for the REFERENCE design of a card, doesn't mean all products would come out that way. While i understand this isnt exactly the same, but to think it would mean that would be like thinking the 30k MSRP base model of a car should be the same price as the highest end of the same model of car.......thats not how this works, thats not how it has ever worked. Unless its the reference design, it wont be the MSRP, and even if it is the reference design, it is, again, the manufacturer's SUGGESTED retail price

Last edited: May 2, 2021
  9. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    Playing with words?

10. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    go with amd then

11. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Nvidia and AIB's don't make shop prices. End of your attempt to sue.
    But it's a clusterf, no matter how you see it. Even if prices were okay, we still couldn't get our hands on stuff.

12. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    Prebuilt price are crazy in Canada. If you want a good prebuilt computer with a RTX 3080 and an "entry level" CPU (r5/i5 or last gen r7/i7) it's around 4k. It used to be 2k to 3k not too long ago. 4k is a lot of money for a prebuilt computer with a crappy PSU, crappy MB, often crappy ram and questionable cooling.

For me the problem is i started a new build thinking the GPU shortage would probably end by summer 2021 and now i'm stuck with a full new system without a GPU (was planning to buy a RTX 3080). I'll probably put my old GPU in it in next june when i'll be on vacation and wont need my computer for work but going from a 1800x to a 5800x wont change the perf in games much if at all and the 1800x was still perfectly fine for work i just did not want it to be a small bottleneck at 2k for my upcoming 3080. I was planning to give my old computer to family now i'll be stuck with an old computer without a GPU and used price are stupid.

On a more serious note it must require special skills to spot a GPU in transit from a factory in china to a mining farm in china. The GPU does not travel for long so you need to be quick to spot it.

Last edited: May 2, 2021
    Solfaur likes this.
  13. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    I think you could make a case for msrp being false advertising if it is 0% of time followed by retailers.

14. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Manufacturer SUGGESTED retail price.

Don't know how much more clear the simplist statement ever can be.

And 0% of the time is obviously false as i and others, many many many others, have gotten every single one of the cards at the MSRP for each individual card.

Please people stop living in your make believe angry filled worlds where you can't see more then an inch in front of your face.

High demand + scalpers/resellers does not = no items at MSRP are being sold.

The only way it'd be false advertising is if a retailer advertised a specific price for a product but on checkout it was far more then advertised. And no, resellers on places like amazon or newegg do not apply, if products, after advertising, go out of stock and the only other ones are by companies/people that did NOT advertise that specific price are left, that is not false advertising.

15. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    0 of the time is 100% factual in Canada for 2021. Canada Computer has some of their MSRP cards advertised as coming in 2022 to 2024 and it's not a joke. I'll certainly not order a card that could arrive in 2 years. MSRP should be realistically attainable.

https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=43_557_559&item_id=181842

16. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Valid point, yes. I still think it's not smart to try and sue a manufacturer to enforce MSRP, that probably won't work in real life. Hence my point, this matter can't be solved via suing for MSRP. False advertising is the bag of tricks it seems that people like to employ, but honestly, I don't see it have much success in front of court either.

I just think the company's legal teams are pretty sure they're on safe ground right now when it comes to inflated prices.

Solfaur likes this.
  17. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    Oh i agree legally speaking false advertising might very well not exist like antitrust. It's very rarely enforced these days. I was speaking more from a "moral" perspective.

18. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    The prices are inflated because supply has broke down. And of course companies are 100% profiting on it. But it's a textbook example of supply and demand interaction.
    And I am not sure that when those slides were released, the pandemic was a thing. Or the Evergreen. Which are both adding to the problem with is probably the lion's share of cards not even leaving China in the first place.

This is frustrating, yes, and it doesn't look right either, I absolutely agree. But honestly, I don't see what will happen or come out of even making any officials aware of yet another luxury product being more expensive currently. It's too small of a sum, or number, or share of trade to be worth the effort I'm afraid.

All we can do is weather the storm... or empty those wallets.

19. pato

pato Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3060TI
    I really hope to be able to buy one for "normal" prices on release day. "Joke" is, my 3060Ti is currently about the same worth as a 3080Ti should be sold for. Or in other words, the 3080Ti would then be a free upgrade if I sell the old one.

20. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    So long as the switch pro has some level of availability i'll be happy.
    couldn't care less right now about rich mans gpu.