underclocking my gtx 1070 gigabyte

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by ramthegamer, Apr 23, 2021.

1. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Rx580 8gb used is going around 500$. Dont do it and keep the 1070 for now. Makes no sense overpaying gpu as it is right now.

ramthegamer and CrazY_Milojko like this.
  2. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    I fully agree with above ^^^^

OP, if you can slowdown that 1070 of yours ie make 1070 stable (or a bit stable...ish) with a bit of GPU undervolt/underclock and VRAM undervolt/underclock it should be around RX 580 stock performance level. If you can make ir run that way for a bit longer then just hold on and wait for a better opportunity other than buying atm for sure overpriced new RX 580 and buying 2nd hand RX 580 is way too risky unless you know from whom you're buying it, he treated/maintained that card well and he's asking not more than (wishful thinking) 200€/$. More than that is not worth the risk and money.

ramthegamer and Undying like this.
  3. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    mine is cs 550m not cx

4. CrazY_Milojko

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    My fault... CX, CS... morning coffee has no effect anymore :)

CS 550M has a bit less on +12V rail: 43Amps ...but still it's more than sufficient for RX 580 + 6700K@4.0

ramthegamer likes this.

5. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    @ramthegamer

Personally I would "bake" GPU in oven if there is no other option, I done it before and currently my old GPU is still working in friend build and frind using his PC for rendering and gaming as well and still he achieving same OC 2164MHz

I think @PrMinisterGR done that too with his old AMD GPU?

But I agree with @CrazY_Milojko too, if you have spare oven is much easier to do, but can be done, BGA rework over here in UK can cost you from £200 upwards and that time they asked me for reflow of my GTX1080 I think £450

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

CrazY_Milojko likes this.
  6. CrazY_Milojko

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Knock on wood for that formerly yours baked GPU, now under the hood of your friends PC :)

@PrMinisterGR has a masters degree in quadro baking his iirc 7970 backthen :D

Complete propper BGA rework for £200 is OKish for GTX 1080 but only if GPU replacement (and who knows where replacement GPU comes from) is included in the final price, but with current insane GPU prices even £250 should be OK if job is done right. Ofc not all GPU chips cost the same, no one can't expect someone's gonna do GPU replacement on lets say RTX 2080 for just £200, not gonna happen enywhere in the world. But someone asking £450 for GTX 1080 reflow is complete ripoff, hilarious and fcking greedy at the same time, you know that.

As I've said before sometimes it's nothing more than a pure luck. How much that GPU/VRAM has degraded because of OC/overvoltage or excessive heat/dust plays a major role and it's the main factor how much heat treated GPU/VRAM is gonna last after hot air reflow/oven baking/IR reflow/complete BGA rework. Back in the days some desktop or laptop GPU's I've revived from dead for friends using hot air station lasted anywhere from few days to few months, but some of those lasted (and some of them still fully functional) for years after first and only time time reflow, it's a mind blowing. Same method, same hot air station, same temperature/time curve... some last few days/weeks, others few months/years. My wife's godfather still uses the same (crappy) laptop he bought 10, 11 years ago and after my hot air station GPU treatment some 5 or 6 years ago it's nothing more than a miracle because that poor laptop's vent sistem backten was clogged up with years of dust that was thick as finger, discusting. Poor bastard still works after my one time GPU hot air station treatment, I'm sure GPU inside that lappy is cursing me till this day: "...why the f#ck you didn't let die with dignity!?..." ..because for sure that laptop vent system is again completely clogged with dust and loud as hell :rolleyes: Dude doesn't give a F about propper maintaing anything tech related: "...I think a lappy is a bit louder over the time, but hey, it works!...". As far as I'm concerned people like him should get a court ban to use any kind of tech more complex than a toaster :D

In the meantime got myself propper tools for BGA rework but not for GPU reball/reflow purpose but for the other electronics home projects. Tried few times to reflow few laptop and desktop GPUs with IR rework station, few times even additional BGA solder balls replacement just to see if they're gonna last longer vs hot air station reflow method: results are complety the same, IR threated/reflowed/BGA solder balls replacement GPUs lasted randomly, same as the ones threated with simple hot air station method, what a waste of time here on my side, but got myself one more experience, can't complain (also can't say what my wife thinks about time wasted on that hahahaha). GPU chip replacement is the only propper solution, no doubt here on my side. Since I can't get (I'm not even trying) new GPUs or new VRAM chips that's why I'm not gonna waste my time or expencive BGA reworks station/tools on this anymore. If anyone I know (or don't know) has a GPU problem either on graphics card or on laptop motherboard I'm willing to help, free of charge during weekend days (if spare time and my lady let me do that lol), but only "quick method" using hot air station. For those locals tight with money (not everyone here has the cash for new laptop or graphics card these days) I'm here to help, no guarantees here on my side how long it's gonna last after the reflow but also I'm not charging a single cent to anyone. Just don't ask me to use expencive tools because either with hot air or with IR rework (or complete BGA solder balls replacement, hate to do that if don't have a adequate GPU BGA stencil and in most cases I don't) result is completely the same: totaly random.

7. CrazY_Milojko

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    @jura11
    https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/vault-of-fail-part-2-rtfm.423098/page-39#post-5908362

Never saw someone do the GPU baking in the microven and hope I'll never will or else I'm gonna... :mad:

But saw few times "oven method overbaked" and completely ruined cards like one 8800GTS and another one... was it 2900XT, not sure. PCB and fan plastics on both were looking like they were pulled out from hot lava and interesting fact about both cards, both "new owners" said something like: "...got this as a present, doesn't work, can you do something about it?...". Me looking at the disaster in their hands: "...sorry, the number you've just called doesn't exist..." :D

jura11 likes this.
  8. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hahaha that's true Darwin award :D

Thanks for sharing that hahaha

Thanks, Jura

9. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    @CrazY_Milojko

Yes in my PC has been working like 1 year and half or so and in my friend's OC is now too 6 or 8 months and no issues to the date, still overclocks like champ to the date

Thanks, Jura

10. CrazY_Milojko

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    @jura11 Both of you should buy a lottery tickets, you can thank me later ;)

I'm not that lucky. The only one GPU that has died on me, well not in my own PC but in my younger son's PC (well at the end there's no difference, I've payed for replacement GPU anyway) was Asus GTX 760 DC2OC few years ago. That one had shorted GPU out from the clear sky, worse case scenario, couldn't find only the GPU to replace that original one shorted so bought him 1.5 months later (and it was not easy/cheap to find here backthen in early 2018) MSI GTX 1050Ti Gaming X few days before Easter. Just left that Asus 760 in original box as it is, GPU reflow wouldn't do anything on a shorted GPU.

11. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    @CrazY_Milojko

Lottery I never won and probably never will win, lottery who are winning are people who are rich not we plebs or peasants hahaha

Been lucky with that GPU and that time I thought so I lost it and RMA here in UK Manli GPU's is impossible because they're usually selling GPUs on Aliexpress or Taobao, bought my through the contact in China that time(asked him recently if he can source me GPU and ge told me yes but only if I take 10 and more GPUs and price would be pretty much same as here)

I don't think any of my GPUs has died one me, few motherboards for sure died one me(2 Gigabytes, 2 Asus and 1 ASRock)

When I built my current build with Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero X570 with 3900X etc, I decided to built loop for one friend son, he is avid sim racer and that time they struggle a lot, his mom died on COVID-19 etc, I haven't been too in best shape but my brother helped me with the build for friend son

We built him or used spare parts from my several builds like my old ASRock X99 Extreme6 motherboard with 5930k which I got from other friend, 16GB of RAM, 1TB SSD plus 3TB normal HDD and my old Manli GTX1080 with EVGA G3 850W PSU, we delivered him that build on his birthday as our birthday present, you can bet he has been delighted and very grateful and happy

I always trying to help if I can, sometimes is hard but is worth it at the end

Did you manage it check what exactly happened with that GPU which has shortened ?

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

12. CrazY_Milojko

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    @jura11

Did a few checks backthen when that GTX 760 died of sudden (in the middle of some game son was playing) with multimeter and everything has been pointing out that short was inside the GPU chip itself. Also wherever that GTX 760 was plugged in, either on his PC on any of my PCs motherboard was beeping that something is wrong with the card and of course no POST. Somewhere last year, was it April or May, took a few days to stay at home and take a rest, just for crap and giggles dissasembled that GTX 760, removed GPU itself from the PCB wit IR: quick multimeter check and there was no short anywhere on the card. Did a reball of the same GPU chip, took me a bit longer then I thought to put it back on the PCB (didn't have a propper GPU BGA stencil), another check with multimeter: short to ground was back again, so it was GPU chip who was shorted somewhere inside silicon die I guess.

That GTX 760 card had a good life, died like a warrior. I've put everything back on the card, packed it back in original box and left it on the shelf/pile of my obsolete PC HW collection down in the basement of the house.

13. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Baking the 7970 was nerve wracking, but it helped prolong its life. Fortunately, it died when I could get a GTX 1070 at a decent price. I would never pay to do this, unless it was absolutely necessary, but with GPU prices being what they are, I don't know what think anymore.

14. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    At one time you had your 7970 quadro bake. :D

PrMinisterGR likes this.
  15. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    The only way to play cod mw and pes 2021 now is to lower the core clock by 150

16. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Then do it most important is that card works and its not getting worse. Gives some time for gpu market to normalize.

ramthegamer likes this.
  17. CrazY_Milojko

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    If GPU silicon itself somehow degraded over the time (due to OC, heat, voltage... bad silicon lottery) and the solution atm to make it work stable is to lower the GPU frequency then do it.

One more example here on my side of graphics card stabillity issues, case of a son of my female friend who had almost exactly the same stabillity issues like you but with his GigaByte Radeon HD 7950 back in November 2020. With GPU and VRAM downclocked around 20-25% card has worked stable..ish, not 100% stable but way more stable compared to stock GPU/VRAM speeds. He was troubleshooting for months how to make that card 100% stable and couldn't do it. Once while we were talking about about different stuff he mentioned problems with that 7950 for the first time, told him to bring me the card over the weekend to do some checks at home lab. He brought the complete PC. I've dissasembled the card and never saw something like that: caps on VRM of that 7950 were completely trashed, every single one of them, it was horrible for me to look at those, some 8, 10, maybe 12 caps on VRM section of that 7950 were either partialy or completely b-u-r-n-e-d!. Also PSU electronics was in bad shape, few electrolytic caps (there for filtering 12V rail) were completely demolished and 12V rail had a HORRIBLE RIPPLE I don't remember ever saw on oscilloscope. VRM on that poor 7950 was literarily raped by a bad PSU. Trashed that PSU (iirc Sharkoon 600W) because God knows how much time I'd waste to repair it completely, changed it for ThermalTake LitePower 650W. And for that poor 7950 I've completely overhauled the VRM section changing every single damaged caps. After that 7950 card and complete PC were working 100% stable with 7950 on stock speed, not a single hiccup till this day.

Give me few minutes to try to find pics on Viber of that 7950 with obliterated VRM caps and pics after the repair...

edit, pics added, here are the VRM caps on that poor 7950 before my repair, total of burned 14 caps:

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
    jura11 likes this.
  18. CrazY_Milojko

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    And these are the pics in the middle of repair process done by me (damaged caps removed) and afted new caps were placed. Don't make a jokes on me because caps were not perfectly aligned: that morning (few hours before 7950 repair attempt) had a BBQ + beer session with friends so I hardly saw anything clearly because of few beers too much :D Tbh day after in sober state I was amazed how "good" those caps were aligned giving a fact I've almost fell a sleep during repair because of overeating with 2x pljeskavica and some 5, 6 beers on top of that lol. Some doesn't know how good he is until things like this "drunk repair attempt" happens hahaha But, after the repair card was working perfectly fine, still is and that's the only thing that counts :D

jura11 likes this.
  19. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    Guys i ve decided heating the gpu, im gonna do it at the repair shop, wish me luck that it will work after that, fingers crossed

Undying and DannyD like this.
  20. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    Best of luck we all here know the situation right now.