VSR Not working with recent drivers

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Krevar, Apr 18, 2021.

1. Krevar

Krevar Member

GPU:
    Vega 64 Strix
    Hi, i have a Strix Vega64, i noticed since a few months maybe, that vsr wasn't working anymore (I used it for old games before so it worked). I can activate it in menu, after that screen turns black for a second, but i can't access any resolution above native, in windows or games. I searched forums ans other people have same problem. One advised to install 20.4.2 drivers, and i can confirm that Vsr is working with these, even installing them on top of last drivers and without rebooting: as soon as the installation finishes, it works, i can see resolutions in windows or games!! But as soon as i update the drivers after, ddu or not, i can activate it but it's not working. Any other users have same problem? Thx! (i'll try other drivers to see exactly when it began to fail)

Wintor likes this.
  2. Krevar

Krevar Member

GPU:
    Vega 64 Strix
    So, i tried with many drivers and can confirm VSR stopped working after 20.4.2. Yes i figured out a bit late but i only played recent games, on my TV for the most, so 1080p was sufficent for me...
    Can other Vega users tell me if VSR works for them please? Thx!

3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    VSR works on Polaris but didnt test tbe latest drivers yet as i also play on 1080p so keep it disabled.

4. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 64
    no trouble with it here with my vega64

Krevar likes this.

5. Krteq

Krteq Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 WC
    VSR is still working fine here on Vega 56/64 with 21.3x and 21.4.1

Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
    Krevar likes this.
  6. Krevar

Krevar Member

GPU:
    Vega 64 Strix
    Thank you for responding!
    I Thought i found a solution using CRU : I added 2560*1440 resolution (automatic HDTV timing + TMDS 340hz), and placed it in first "position" in CRU : after tinkering it worked one time (mean i saw superior to my native 1080p TV res and could activate it!) But since i rebooted, i still can see the new VSR resolutions but can't use it (my monitor says res is not supported. The refresh rate is blocked to 59.940hz to : if i apply 60hz, black screen and monitor says res is not supported to... Very frustrating since i can now see the VSR resolutions ans it worked one time! If anyone else wants to try...

7. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    VSR and its outcome, depends on monitor capabilities to run those baked resolutions and timings not driver. Driver is something global. Report to AMD both your monitor model and your issues, but I doubt anything could happen. Just stop using VSR if it's incompatible with your specific monitor.

8. Krevar

Krevar Member

GPU:
    Vega 64 Strix
    The fact is VSR worked perfectly with my TV until 20.4.2 drivers, so it is compatible (and still works, with same cable and TV)!! And i managed to re-activate it in 21.4.1 by adding 1440p res in CRU. The problem is since i rebboted, i just can "see" the VSR resolutions as avalable in windows, but they doesn't work anymore... As soon as i reset the CRU settings to default the VSR resolutions all disappears...

9. Krevar

Krevar Member

GPU:
    Vega 64 Strix
    UPDATE: MANAGED TO MAKE IT WORK AGAIN !
    So the problem seemed to be gpu scaling, it has to be disabled. Once disabled i can access more refresh rates in windows, and activate 60hz. After that VSR works perfectly in any game with last drivers! EDIT; It only works in borderless, not fullscreen,and windows is limted to native res! So complicated!! But with gpu scaling activated, i can only access 50-59,94-60hz, and refresh rate is blocked to 59,940. If i try to change it to 60hz : black screen and tv says resolution not compatible... Strange!
    But glad i found a workaround, and i tried rebooting without problem, VSR still active!
    To sum up:
    I activated VSR in driver, but not gpu scaling. (At this point i can't "see" VSR resolutions in windows, which was the initial problem). Added 2560*1440p resolution in CRU+TMDS clock to 340mhz. This time i can see resolutions and IF refresh rate is 60hz progressive, it works. (Sometimes i was stuck with 59.94hz and VSR didn't work, but i think it was related to gpu scaling activated)
    So it's very weird, but i'm happy because now VSR is working normal, like it was with 20.4.2 drivers. I repeat i saw an other guy on AMD forum having the same problem after 20.4.2, that is why i think it could be driver related?

Maddness and cryohellinc like this.
  10. Wintor

Wintor Guest

GPU:
    AMD RX 5700 XT
    Hi,

I have the exact same problem, VSR stops working after driver 20.4.1.
    I also think it's driver related, I've noticed AMD 7 months ago but still no improvements wtih the last driver versions.
    When I try custom resolution, I have an error message saying the parameter are not compatible with the display.

11. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    It's always monitor's/TV's fault. Period. Next.

12. Wintor

Wintor Guest

GPU:
    AMD RX 5700 XT
    So why did it worked fine until 20.4.1? And why Krevar managed to make it work again?

13. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    Why I never encountered this issue with 3 different gpus and 6 different monitors/TVs? As long as I remember only with Ultrawide monitors I had issues back then and I stopped using them. So, if it was real issue AMD would know, many people use VSR.

14. someonelikeyou

someonelikeyou Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 5500 XT
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
  15. Not directly related to VSR, but I've had 5 or 6 different Polaris GPUs that all randomly flicker on my display at 4K@60Hz, regardless of the computer and OS (happens on W10, Linux, and macOS through an eGPU), with certified HDMI 2.0 cables of varying lengths (3-15ft). There's various reports about this on AMD's forum and HardForum.

Had no issues with a GTX 1060 though even with my longest cable, and my display works fine with everything else (PS4, XB1, the display apps themself). I'm under the impression HDMI is flawed on Polaris at least, but I've also heard a similar report from a Vega user too (flicker at 4K@60Hz, but fine with NV GPU).

I don't know if that would affect VSR, but I'm no longer confident enough to be ruling out AMD's GPUs when it comes to display-related issues.

16. Wintor

Wintor Guest

GPU:
    AMD RX 5700 XT
    Thanks for this link, unfortunately the pictures are no longer availables. I will have to stick to version 20.4.1. for now.

17. DanielRX

DanielRX Master Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Merc319
    VSR working fine here, Adrenalin 22.1.1, RX Vega64 <3

18. DanielRX

DanielRX Master Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Merc319
    PrintScreen
    upload_2022-1-15_9-25-53.png

19. Wintor

Wintor Guest

GPU:
    AMD RX 5700 XT
    VSR is also activated on my side, but somehow I can't select a resolution higher than 1900x1200 in Windows Display Option for drivers that came after 20.4.1.

20. swatch

swatch Guest

GPU:
    AMD RX570 8GB
    Hey there
    just registered here, because i have the same problem.
    Sony Bravia 1080P TV with HDMI
    No VSR working with newest drivers.

In other forums i read, that the guy bought a EDID Emulator?
    Edid Emulator

it seems to be a small HDMI COnverter / Dongle for 10 Euros