underclocking my gtx 1070 gigabyte

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by ramthegamer, Apr 23, 2021.

1. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    hello guys, i wanna ask, since i ve been having trouble with my system lately, my cod warzone crashes at 1080p either with dev error or with no error message, i ve tried everything on google, and reinstall of windows, didn t work
    someone on this forum mentioned to try and underclock my gpu
    can anyone please explain to me how to do it using msi afterburner?
    when i lowered the core clock by -200 and upped the memory clock by +150, the crashes stopped i guess, after playing 1 cod warzone game at 1080p, however the gpu temp is a bit high, rising to 75 c sometimes, is that good? and is this the proper number to use with my card?

2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    You should probably try few more drivers ver. before resulting to downclocking. -200 on the core is kinda significant. Do other games crash too or just Warzone?

3. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    other games were crashing too, my other concern now is the cooling of my case, seems i need more fans on the corsair carbide case, as when i removed the side door i got a 10 degree reduction in gpu temps...maybe i need to change to a new case...

4. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    75c is fine for a GPU but since you've already reinstalled Windows we know its not a software issue. What about your CPU? How are those temps and have you tried running it at stock? Also have you looked at your GPU, case fans etc? Maybe a good cleaning could do the trick.

5. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Eh, was hoping its only warzone so it could be a game/software issue but seeing other games crash too it could very well be the hardware. Try proper cleaning/repasting but temps also seems fine as it is so idk how much it would help.

This is not a good time to have gpu issues.

ramthegamer and jbscotchman like this.
  6. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    For real. I set my GPU back to stock settings and I also need a new case with fresh airflow. I posted a thread recently about re-applying GPU grease but I'm cautious about doing it because I don't have a backup GPU in case something goes wrong. Hell I can't even buy an old card for a backup at a reasonable price. Thanks China.

Undying likes this.
  7. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    I certainly hope my gpu keeps working, not a good time at all to buy a new one....

Undying likes this.
  8. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    Cpu temps are 69c under load, and cpu usage is 65- 70 %in warzone

9. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    U mean i need to install older drivers? Like 3 months or 4 months ago drivers?

10. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Worth a try. Some 1070 users could recommend some stable drivers.

11. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    Didn t work, crashes

12. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    You mention -200mhz is more stable but did you try pushing more voltage on the core?

13. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    No, i didn t touch voltage, and now im on -100 core clock, as -50 was still giving me crashes, seems at -100 the gpu is working, but my question is? Is my gpu failing?? Will it last like this?

14. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    I would try adding more voltage it fix the crashes entirely. Sometimes chip just degrades over time. Only downside is that temps will rise a bit more.

Babel-17 likes this.
  15. vestibule

vestibule Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX6600XT
    Does the card make make any strange noises even when under low 3D load, which could be a problem and also inspect the card for dust which may mean stripping back and removing the heat sink. Dust can collect in places and may be causing a hot spot on one of the GDDR chips. Of course do not strip the card back if you do not have some fresh thermo paste. Although you may be able to reuse the existing by manipulating it in your fingers.

16. Babel-17

Babel-17 Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4080
    Did you do a fresh install of Windows, or a repair install? If a repair install, then maybe using Display Driver Uninstaller could be of use. How is your power supply? Does your 1070 use more than one power connector? If so, do you have a separate one, rather than a split, to provide the second connector?

17. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    I did a clean install of windows, and i always use ddu to uninstall drivers, as for the card i will post a picture of how it is connected

18. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    No it doesn t but i can hear the fan being really loud while playing the game as the card hits 77c sometimes, but crashes stopped when i downclocked by -100, i hope lasts like this as i have no intention of paying overprice for a card now because of mining...
    I don t wanna open up the card as i m afraid of messing it up , i ve never done this kind of stuff before on a gpu..

19. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
  20. Babel-17

Babel-17 Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4080
    Good suggestion, imo. Would using Afterbuner to find a good Curve maybe help in that? If that effort didn't crash the system, one could get a usable result.

Undying likes this.