Display Driver Uninstaller Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Wagnard, May 19, 2020.

1. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    There should still be a device perhaps it's disconnected for some reason so it doesn't show up by default and would appear grayed out.

Let's see here it's a command-line parameter so something like right clicking on the start menu and selecting the command line with administrative rights.

set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1
    devmgmt.msc

And then also in there go to view and show hidden devices. :)
    Might show up under a otherwise hidden branch as a bit of a question mark looking device just needing the drivers to be identified and activated after a reboot.
    ("Other devices." I think is what it's called, hidden by default.)

Should be a unknown device you can add the Realtek audio driver for, not sure why it removes those though unless DDU can also clean (Should be optional?) Realtek devices.
    Either point it to the drivers you have and update from there or get the latest generic version from Microsoft.
    (The AMD HDMI Audio component / NVIDIA Audio component I can see but not sure why it'd remove the Realtek stuff and if you did that check so it didn't uninstall other supported components as well if you ran it with no parameters for what to clean importantly the motherboard chipset drivers specifically.)

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=6.0.9071.1

This is a generic Realtek HD Audio driver though without the vendor specific extras so if that's what you need the motherboard website usually has a driver that works for that purpose. :)

If this doesn't lead to any device showing up restart first and then you can do this possibly also scanning for a device update via the device manager and if Windows Update driver updating is active it'll probably pull something.
    I prefer updating to what latest available driver I can find but either method should work to restore the device status.

EDIT: Taking out and plugging back in the audio device cable can also get it active and then you can get the driver update going as well, there's a couple of methods so it's not too problematic usually.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
  2. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX6700 XT
    Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) V18.0.3.6 Released.
    See first post of this thread for download locations and other important information.

Turbogear, Jackalito and Undying like this.
  3. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX6700 XT
    Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) V18.0.3.7 Released.
    See first post of this thread for download locations and other important information.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
    Jackalito likes this.
  4. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    Dear AMD users with AMD chipset and CPU.
    It has come to my attention that some of you *may* had issues with their chipset drivers being removed by DDU.
    I have released version 18.0.3.8 today in a hope that the issue mentioned above is fixed
    If someone who had the issue want to share with me if the new version fixes the issue and if not, would be willing to work a little with me to fix this, I would appreciate.
    Thanks,

Exostenza, Jackalito and Krteq like this.

5. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX6700 XT
    Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) V18.0.3.8 Released.

Jackalito likes this.
  6. mzso

mzso Active Member

GPU:
    DUAL-RX580-O4G
    Hi!

I have significant issues, am I likely to resolve them via DDU? Not sure where should I look manually to fix these, or why they are broken in the first place:
    • Old DX games not starting: They were working on windows 8 and what I see online they should work on 10 as well. Examples:
      • Desperados, which was upgraded to work well, not long ago. But even in its original form it ran, only with horrible performance. Now I only get an empty screen
      • No One Lives forever. It was patched by third parties to be playable and it was, but it also ran in its original form with performance issues and glitches. Now it throws errors:
        One when clicking on the display options in the launcher, the other when I try to launch.
        [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. The Creator

The Creator Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Hellhound 7900XT
    I use dgVoodoo2 wrapper to run old (DirectX < 9) games on Windows 10.

Watcher likes this.
  8. mzso

mzso Active Member

GPU:
    DUAL-RX580-O4G
    I had WineD3D dlls to run the game, but it stopped working. NOLF has its own (patched?) dlls, but also doesn't work. Nor the these the unpatched game, which used to run.

9. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    Hey everyone,
    Radeon Software Adrenalin 21.4.1 required a DDU update to correctly support it. I'm on it and should be ready later today.
    Sorry for the inconvenience.

10. Jackalito

Jackalito Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 XT
    Thank you for your continued support, buddy :)

Wagnard and DanielRX like this.

11. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    Always a pleasure bud !

12. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX6700 XT
    Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) V18.0.3.9 Released.

Jackalito and Undying like this.
  13. NesteaZen

NesteaZen Member

GPU:
    OCZ
    ok, what's up with DDU (18.0.3.9) or windows (
    Edition Windows 10 Pro
    Version 20H2
    Installed on ‎2020-‎06-‎19
    OS build 19042.928
    Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0
    )

I have set
    Code:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate]
    "ExcludeWUDriversInQualityUpdate"=dword:00000001
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate]
    "ExcludeWUDriversInQualityUpdate"=dword:00000001

and every time I start windows after DDU in safe mode, windows keeps installing files into C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository specifically
    u0360470.inf_amd64_35c64671e7fac064
    u0360518.inf_amd64_bb1458fc01b97b57
    which are 1 GB each and these are AMD drivers. I have no idea where fkn windows is pulling these from. nothing's being downloaded.

I deleted the folder C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download and the \Download folder came back.

not sure if I should delete amd_comgr32.dll and others from C:\Windows\System32 or wtf to do.
    I deleted the files from \FileRepository with a SYSTEM cmd started via psexec and the \FileRepository crap came back.

Disk Cleanup gives me 4.38 GB for Windows Update Cleanup and I don't feel like using that yet.

UPDATE: just used amdcleanuputility.exe and same crap. Files in \FileRepository were gone but after about 30 seconds windows installed drivers.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 6, 2021
  14. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Make sure you not connected to internet? ( disconnect ethernet cable and wifi) and dont reconnected till after you manual install drivers

Dont go deleting thing if you dont know specficily what they are and what they are for

15. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    also clear out windows\softwaredistribution\downloads since any driver thats already present in here can be reinstalled despite the WU exclusion.

16. NesteaZen

NesteaZen Member

GPU:
    OCZ
    @tsunami231 that wasn't even the problem. I was pissed that despite running DDU, Windows was fetching the drivers from somewhere after only 30-60s when rebooted. The driver was actually in
    C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\DeliveryOptimization\Cache\edbbe5c647e34d7a3d5ff7b399cfdf932cbcae34
    and it was called content.bin

I also wanted to find the call/service that invoked that download. ExcludeWUDriversInQualityUpdate was not being honored at all. Once I disabled the network in ncpa.cpl and turned it back after five or so minutes while doing some other sh, Windows didn't download anything.

@Astyanax I did. as written in my OP.

17. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    Yeah Windows update is annoying for driver download. It is best if you cut your internet connection while uninstalling and re-installing the driver if the option within the DDU options menu is not working for you.

Exostenza, Jackalito, HK-1 and 2 others like this.
  18. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    This is the best option as wu always finds a way to screw up the installation.

HK-1 likes this.
  19. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX6700 XT
    I find the easiest way to cut your internet connection is to open Device Manager and disable your network adapter (Ethernet or WIFI adapter) After you are done installing your driver, go back to Device Manager and re-enable your Ethernet or your WIFI adapter.

It's a matter of right clicking on the adapter and selecting "Disable device" or "Enable device".

Wagnard likes this.
  20. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX6700 XT
    Expanding on my statement above, there is a program made by a developer that we all may know by the name of Wagnard that has another program with the name of IPC which stands for IP Changer.

This program not only lets you change your IP Address but has the feature of allowing you to change the state of your network adapter from being Enabled or Disabled.

Download location and more information can be found here:

https://www.wagnardsoft.com/content/ip-changer-v1320
    https://www.wagnardsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3242

[​IMG]

From the programs about dialog box:

Last edited: May 9, 2021