GeForce 466.11 WHQL driver download & discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 14, 2021.

1. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    No it didn't, you're just reading into things more than you should. :rolleyes:

Ask the developers of Valheim

Post a media resource that is actually trustworthy.

There are no performance changes for this driver regarding Destiny 2, runs the same as always once shaders are cached

Remove third party utilities, clean install the driver - run disk cleanup in admin elevation and clean the directx shaders.

Use nsight to analyze your system for causes of hitching and stutters
    https://developer.nvidia.com/blog/using-nsight-systems-for-fixing-stutters-in-games/

Then follow on with these if it doesn't display a trigger or theres evidence the issue is in the nvidia driver.

How to generating an event trace log for GPUView to troubleshoot performance issues/low FPS/game stutter

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/ans...e-log-for-gpuview-to-troubleshoot-performance

Collecting GPU logs using GPU-Z
    https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4749/

At least one of the logs from the last 2 links is required for nvidia to take action against reported performance changes.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
    Hunti2k likes this.
  2. Hunti2k

Hunti2k Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Laptop
    Thans, Ill try out and report back with hopefully more information.

3. Badgerslayer7

Badgerslayer7 Member

GPU:
    2080to
    I use DDU to uninstall every driver before I do a install of every new nvidia driver. I have never had any issues with destiny 2 with any previous drivers. My FPS are dipping into the 80’s and stuttering with this new one where with previous drivers they were a constant 97fps. I’ve changed nothing on my system apart from the driver. Reverting back to 465.89 gives me the same performance I had previously. Not sure what else to say. I thought this thread was for reporting issues and then I get a response like I’m making it up. Anyway I’ve reported it and I’m happy enough on previous driver so I will wait to see if a newer driver comes out with no issues.

fear029 likes this.
  4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Most issues only exist on a given users machine because of reasons specific to that machine,
    the game is running as usual for myself, since its changed for you, you have to go through the same ordeal as Hunti2k or else theres insufficient information to allocate a developer to looking at it.

nobody said to use ddu btw, its an over-utilized application and more likely to cause issues in the absence of them.

Btw, Somebody shows up with a framerate loss in destiny 2 every other driver that can't be reproduced widely - also a windows security update just dropped at the same time which might also contribute.

5. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    Or perhaps there are more then one factor that can influence this. Why would they make things intentionally slower, on their latest GPUs no less? That makes no sense whatsoever.

6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Hardware unboxed are on a revenge streak with the intention to milk as much viewer advertising revenue as they can, the one that they let do gpu reviews these days is a hardcore radeon fantard and displays his bias without hesitation.

Not to mention, they get into arguments with actual qualified people when corrected rather than redact and update their articles and videos.

Results deviating from those published by nvidia demonstrate a factor is present on the system that wasn't on their own, that factor can be fault or application caused.

At the present time, nobody knows if the Bar size is locked by the whitelisted games to Vram size or if it can dynamically change as unwhitelisted applications run.

What is known, is that the results nvidia achieved used either in game performance metrics, or GFE. no other tools would have been used.

stryfe2010 and Skunk0001 like this.
  7. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATi Radeon™
    Not that. They've changed how the overlays work. When you go back to the desktop, past versions the fps counter vanishes. Then it would load up with a game.

Now you're stuck with a static fps number on the desktop after gaming, then you've to disable it and reactive it so now you're stuck with N/A stuck on the screen until a game starts.

The NVIDIA GeForce Experience forum is full of complaints about it.

8. ZolaIII

ZolaIII Guest

GPU:
    GTX1060 3 GB
    I don't do updates regularly for each version but every couple releases.
    So far this release seams good and they final have really fixed something! The image rendering and filtering (2D) whose long time broken, now performance is 4x and 2.5x up (this will affect daily usage).
    The overlay DX11 and DX12 performance is around 5% better and DX10 is 10% up. Seems as a good release after rather long time.

9. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Doubt they changed it with intention to bug like you described it.
    I still recommend to use something else to provide the overlay, just that it isn't possible to select exactly what and what not to display freaks me out, GFEs implementation is trash, way to limited.

10. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATi Radeon™
    They did. Read their forums. Numerous complaint threads on the issue.
    Besides, I use GeForce Experience for easy quick recording/clips and it's handy for fast screenshots as well as the FPS overlay all in one. Been using it since 2017.

11. windrunnerxj

windrunnerxj Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4060
    Doesn't bother me personally, I don't see much point in having a permanent FPS counter on my screen when gaming.
    But yeah now you have to manually toggle it, default keybind is ALT+R. A bit annoying but still quicker than going into overlay settings to toggle it on/off.

12. eGGroLLiO

eGGroLLiO Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080ti FTW3
    Congratulations. You just earned an ignore from me.

JAMVA likes this.
  13. Hunti2k

Hunti2k Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Laptop
    Found the issue, just not sure if its a problem at Nvidia site or MSI site.

I had my Laptop running in Discrete graphic mode, not Hybrid Mode, as I dont want to loose performance because of Nvidia Optimus.

Discrete Graphic Mode with drivers until 461.40 is working perfectly, but every driver after 461.40 gives the problems as mentioned above.

The only workaround is switching back to Hybrid Mode in BIOS - after that, also the newer drivers are working. Strange ... I hope this can get fixed.

Anyone with some hints or tipps?

@ManuelG Maybe a good information for you, that newer Nvidia drivers are going to make problems with Laptop Discrete Modes enabled? Already also opened a ticket to MSI support.

AsiJu likes this.
  14. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    I'm quite sure that it never was Nvidia's idea that the FPS counter should freeze on desktop... aren't there also still choices when it comes to display stats on screen with GFE?
    As I recall from some weeks ago it was possible to disable the desktop overlay and have it in game only.
    I switched to other recording/streaming software which is better and will work with any GPU.

Apart from that the driver 466.11 works fine with all games I played since install.

15. flow

flow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF RTX3080 oc
    Agreed, overall smooth in games on my system. 3Dmark scores slightly higher also, compared to older drivers.

16. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATi Radeon™
    Freeze? No. It'll stick to an fps number when exiting a game. As there is nothing to detect. Therefor you have to toggle it. Once toggled on the desktop, it goes to N/A but when a game fires up the fps meter ticks away the way it's supposed to be. But sadly there is a lot of ALT+R on this now when exiting to the desktop unlike previous versions. Realistically it should really switch to N/A when no 3D is running. Or vanish completely the way it was supposed to be. 2D, nothing on the screen. 3D it activates.

It would completely disappear when not in 3D with past versions.

17. ManuelG

ManuelG NVIDIA Rep

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 2080 FE
    The remaining changes we are working on are some MPO related optimizations. This should be in the next driver branch. For now, you can just disable MPO which should solve this issue:

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5157/

Herochild and stryfe2010 like this.
  18. ManuelG

ManuelG NVIDIA Rep

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 2080 FE
    And you are not using any Freestyle filters?

19. ManuelG

ManuelG NVIDIA Rep

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 2080 FE
    Any chance you could share a GPUView trace of the micro-stutter with the latest driver?
    http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3507

20. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    No i don't use filters, also i think it's the game but i'm not totally sure because it works with DX12 whenever it doesn't crash