Looks like Intel is coming back... Icelake SP 32 Core 64 threads at 3.5GHz all core boost

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by craycray, Apr 8, 2021.

1. craycray

craycray Member Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    Scroll down to the Icelake SP lineup.

Ice Lake (microprocessor) - Wikipedia

In short, their "Glue" seems to be working now.

To what I understand, their max core per die is still 28. But they are able to go 4+4, 8+8, 16+16, 20+20, etc. to use their manufacturing process and imperfect dies more efficiently, and not rely just on perfect dies for high core count. This provides them with advantages similar to chiplets from AMD, but still not at the same level of modularity and scale-in capability. However, it does help them reduce the cost to manufacture significantly (as expected), which is evident in the competitive pricing structure, and bin for a better product stack.

Additionally, their chiplet sizes are still huge, but not as big as 14nm+++++, because they are on 10nm now.

I am still not sure how this will play into desktop market. Lets see if they are able to do the same for smaller chiplets or not, as their "glue" is a bit more expensive than the one used by AMD, but it may trickle down in later generations.

I hope this helps bring some discussion points forward, have at at it.

2. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    Thats some expensive glue ... lol

craycray likes this.
  3. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Intel would want to break the Ice with this.
    Let's wait and see.

craycray likes this.
  4. craycray

craycray Member Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    Agreed. I think this could be their Zen 1 moment, if they handle it correctly.

Especially considering that the bigger Alderlake cores are expected to be +50% IPC over Skylake. So, in future if they could keep on improving Alderlake and merge it with their chiplet architecture, they may provide a strong mainstream product stack as well. Not to say that they are weak right now, I think they are still competitive, but they certainly could be a lot better off.

5. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    We tend to go with the flow and enroll in trivial tribalisms, one product/manufacturer is better that other, hey, let's grab some ugly words and pitchforks along the way.
    We forget sometimes that we need more competition for our own good and pockets.
    Look back, the history repeats itself.
    Anyone remember pre-CoreDuo era, where Pentiums where against Athlons and Opterons were a nerd geekgasm?
    See some similarities?

craycray and Passus like this.
  6. craycray

craycray Member Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    A million times this. Always buy what is best value at that time, and does what you need. Plain and simple. I suggested my friend to go with Ryzen a couple of years ago, but last winter due to the Ryzen price hike, and Intel price drops I suggested 11700k to my other friend. I mean who cares about brands? I never fully understood this topic of brand following.

I remember back in university days how my P4 2.8, was getting its behind handed to it by my buddy's Athlon machine (a few months later), which he put together with the same budget and same GPU. And he had no overheating issues like I had either.

Right now AMD is is over charging, we know it and they know it. Same process (better yields), similar die size, but it magically costs 20% more? C'mon now. Anyway, I really hope that this intel Chiplet works and CPU prices start to normalize linearly to 'per square mm' die size again.

anticupidon likes this.
  7. Sir Galahad

Sir Galahad Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti ssc
    Everything right now reminds me of the late Pentium 4 days.
    The 11th gen feels a bit like when Cedar mill launched in 2006 just before the Core 2.
    Fingers crossed alder lake delivers something similar.