Review: ASRock Z590 Extreme

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 13, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    This Z590 motherboard from ASRock should be Extreme, as that's in the naming. Realistically this socket LGA1200 and Z590 chipset-based product is a bit more 'normal' than others in terms of feature...

Review: ASRock Z590 Extreme

Embra likes this.
  2. Tom Sunday

Tom Sunday Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS ROG Strix 4090
    Amazing and I thought that ASRock would try harder to really be competing with the big boys. Looks like the ASRock marketing department talked somebody again into the wrong direction? A Walmart direction. I actually never met anyone who owned a ASRock mobo except for the dealers at the local 'computer show' trying to make package deals with them. Which by itself gave many potential buyers and enthusiasts crowding the 8-foot folding tables cold feet. The first word out of everyone's mouth: "There must be something wrong with these?"

I dearly wish that ASROCK would finally step up to the bar 'after all these years' and giving the likes of Asus and Gigabyte some real premium-grade competition. So that Asus for example be forced to sell their new Z590 Hero XIII for $350. Just perhaps ASRock will get the message when later this year all mobo manufacturers will be given an annual "doubledip oppertunity" and getting to proffer their 12th Gen products. But I instinctively know that this will never happen with ASRock to turning around in a mere 6-months time and stunning the world at large with a real premium board delivery. As such a 12th Gen Hero XIV this coming November may be costing $700. See you then!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
  3. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    I did have a z77 extreme4,had voltage reading bug,you could've easily degraded your cpu over time
    that said,they had plenty of great mobos
    z97 formula,z370 fatal1ty was a beast in terms of value.
    same for x370/470 taichi boards
    some of their z490 offerings were a disaster and I hope they learned.

Tom Sunday likes this.
  4. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Not sure if I would again choose ASRock boards, went through three ASRock X99 boards and every one left bad taste in my mouth

Great boards with great features, just no way you can see what System Agent you are running on X99 ASRock boards which I think killed my 5960x few times, then literally I encountered every day at least one BSOD

With X570 I went with Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero although I wanted to get ASRock Taichi board but decided against it

New ASRock Extreme series boards not sure but I don't like them

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

5. Tom Sunday

Tom Sunday Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS ROG Strix 4090
    Well...I rooted for AMD in the early days as I was convinced they could do better. It was a big hope but the hope became a reality. It surely raised hell with Intel and thus benefitted the consumer to no end. ASRock to me is in the same boat and my hopes that they will finally 'step up to the 5-star bar' runs strong. Perhaps it will take someone like NVIDIA to buy them out and pouring some real cash into ASRock's product development? I am sure that we all need at least one more 'real and premium' mobo competitor against Asus, MSI and Gigabyte.

6. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Isn't that exactly the OPPPOSITE of Asrock philosophy and the market they are targeting.

7. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    The fact you even mention Nvidia says all we need to know about your intelligence.

Personally I love my X399 Taichi. I loved my 970a Extreme 4, X370 Killer SLi A/C. Only reason I got a MSI X470 right now is cause I got such a damn good deal on it. Thinking about picking up a X570 Extreme 4 for $170.

mikeysg likes this.
  8. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    Hilbert, were you able to show the VRM temperatures when the CPU was MAX OC'ed at 5.2 GHZ all core?

I read that the mb dropped the CPU to 3800 MHZ and maintained ~ less than 50 C on the VRM?

I want to see how it holds up under MAX OC.

If you get a Z590 OC Formula motherboard, please do it on that if you cannot update this review.

Thank you!

9. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    Asrock Extreme brand is "gaming entry level", it mean half way Asus Prime (horrible hardware and bios conception) and the 1st gaming motherboard, or as MSI the less expensive "gaming" one...
    For the price it is OK it is as the other... And as other, if you want more you will have to pay more.

10. Trihy

Trihy Member Guru

GPU:
    Onboard
    Yes, I think they are targeted to another users.

There are lot of brands that do it great outside US and they are barely know in the states.

Only tried a b550m from asrock. It was great. Lots of extra usb ports, m2, etc. Bios doesnt have all the fancy UI, but they are clearly targeted for other market.