Enabling SAM on Taichi x570 Boot into OS Issue.

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by pegasus1, Apr 12, 2021.

1. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Ok so with the above Mobo, a 3700x and Bios V 4.00 i see the options to
    Disable the CSM
    Then

Enable Above 4G Decoding
    Enable Resizable BAR

When i do the above i cant boot past the BIOS, if i try to go into the boot selection screen i get a message that no bootable media has been detected (Although in the bios my drives are detected but not as bootable).
    If i go back into the BIOS and re-enable the CSM i can boot into W10 but it appears Resizable BAR is no longer activated.

Anybody know of a workaround where i can have CSM, Above 4G and BAR all enabled and still get into the OS.

Thanks in advance.

2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    You need to reinstall your system in uefi.

3. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Even if its installed in UEFI already? The OS is on an NVMe 4th gen drive and UEFI.

4. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Your SSD/HDD needs to be GPT formatted and then secure booted in EUFI. The 'easy' solution is indeed a reformat and new install of Windows.

5. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Thanks, il check when im home, is the performance gain with 32gb RAM and an 1080Ti with a 4k monitor worth the hassle of a reformate and reinstal. I was going to wait until i dropped in a new 5000 series CPU and new GPU.

6. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    If you indeed installed os with csm disabled bios should see drive as bootable. Also try new agesa 1.2.0.2.

7. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Im on 1.2.0.0 and thats the newest on the ASROCK site

8. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
  9. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Thanks for this, im pretty sure its GPT and UEFI already but il check later when im home.

10. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I formatted my drive(s) as GPT then restored my OS.
    This apparently will make it MBR again unless the backup was already GPT.

11. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    When i rebuilt this current rig with a new MOBO, CPU, RAM etc it was from scratch so a fresh instal of W1064 onto the Gen 4 NVMe, il have to check but im certain it was GPT and not MBR, ive no idea why i would set it as MBR but the rig is at home and im at work for another couple of hours, It no biggie if i have to reinstal as only some progs and a single game (DCS) on my OS Drive, STEAM and all others are on a separate drive and data on a third.

12. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Ok, so turns out it was MBR but when i ran the guide above it changed to GPT no issues.
    However even now i can boot with CSM disabled and Above 4g and Resizable bar enabled, it looks like its not activated. Maybe its a GPU thing (1080Ti) or Bios thing.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
  13. stormy

stormy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX 7600
    Still need a vbios update (GPU thing). Any takers on the chance of Nvidia putting one out for the 1xxx series of cards?

14. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070

15. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    This is not possible, MBR2GPT is one way, so clearly you were on MBR rather than GPT, and there was no UEFI bootloader on the system. (GPT is not bootable from CSM/Legacy Bootloader, while UEFI+CSM can boot EFI and Legacy)

There is no resizable bar bios update expected for pascal or turing (but turing could change at nvidia's whim)

Hey Mufflore, i just did this myself after moving a boot drive from my loungeroom x58 to an x79, as long as there are 3 or less partitions on the drive and space is available at the end of partition 2, the utility will resize the end of partition 2(so theres space between it and partition 3) and insert the Uefi loader into the new partition created).

In some cases you will get a message at the conclusion that the recovery environment could not be migrated, but this will be resolved after a reboot and running "reagent /enable" in elevated command line.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021

16. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    @Astyanax , Man that was a massive typo, yes i meant was MBR and it changed to GPT, edited my post ha ha ha

17. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Its nice to know, thanks.

I havent tried yet because my gaming performance is awesome without.
    I'm in no doubt it will improve but figured I'd wait for a few reasons:
    See what problems/solutions emerge.
    Delay the pita I'm gonna have converting my OS/test drives.

It also might mean previous backups cant be restored directly but perhaps the main partition alone can.
    I may hold out until there is an actual problem it solves for me.