Intel Core i5-11600K processor review

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 30, 2021.

1. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    What's the problem/s you had with it?
    I am rocking one and so far has been the best system I've ever had.
    Have it for a month or so.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
  2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    After IP III, I got XP 2200. IIRC Palomino and Barton were both Athlon XPs. I got Athlon XP 2200, because it was 1st CPU which was not sold here without lottery. As buying A XP 2100 meant that shop could send either.
    I had MB which did cost same as high end MBs today which considering inflation was quite more. CPU could not be OCed more than 18MHz which was just 1% as standard clock was 1800MHz.
    But MB had even Bluetooth (back then with external antenna), 2 Network interfaces, raid and extra SATA controller.
    But everything worked as dream till 2-cores shown up. Even Athlon XP 64 was not that impressive for usual use cases back then.

3. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Bit of a bummer there won't be a 11600F.

Yeah, seems the 10700 still gets recommended a lot.

Venix likes this.
  4. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    I just had really poor luck with my hardware in general, something i never experienced before.

The 5800X was DOA with WHEA crashes, USB cutting out, HyperX memory with a zillion errors and on top of that i bought an Asus motherboard. I send everything back and got it all refunded thankfully.

In the end i would have probably returned it anyways, as i didn't like the CPU behaviour (lots of spiking) and ran too hot for my liking.

On the Asus board the Fan Ramp Up/Down delay didn't work resulting in a noisy system. I did some research and found out Asus hasn't bothered to fix it on various boards for many months. For that reason i will stick with Gigabyte, i heard they're the best for brand for AMD as well in terms of support.

If i would get AMD again i will probably just stick with a 6 Core, same would go for Intel. Plenty enough for gaming and i don't do workload stuff anyways. That way i keep a silent system as i'm sticking to Air Cooling.

Edit:

(Thinking about it, perhaps the CPU was fine, but the Asus board may have pushed too much voltage? I saw it going little over 1.5 volts at times, on stock factory default settings. I read it's dangerous to manually set Ryzen voltage as well, as it doesn't work the same an Intel CPU.)

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Can't comment on issues you had with that setup, but I built high end gaming system with 5800X for friend. And it is impressive CPU.
    Full load with Noctua C14s and under 70°C. (Cooler Master: Master Gel - Maker)

And that's something when C14s is actually tiny bit Convex. And AMD's IHSes are convex too. Maybe your cooling was too convex and that gave you poor contact area.
    - - - -
    As for MB, MSI MB I picked for cousin was defective. Could not run memories at higher than 2133MHz in Dual channel configuration. Otherwise one bank did not work at all.
    And in single channel bank config, 2666MHz was limit.
    New MB from ASRock and one click to 3200MHz, no DRAM calc needed. And those were super cheap memories where I just confirmed Ryzen compatibility and user experience with up to 3466MHz OC.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
  6. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    Damn, man, drink some holy water. That's too much unlucky stuff to happen with just one build.
    Most likely the issue was the motherboard, including the memory errors.
    Though, WEA errors mostly when you run out of voltage to a core, not with an overvolt, AFAIK.

I am on a ROG STRIX B550-F and I didn't have such problem with voltages (Peak I saw 1.48v which is fine for the CPU), now I am running it at 4.6GHz (ClockTuner tune) at 1.35v nor USB dropouts (they released a BIOS for that anyway.) And the delay for fans is working just fine...
    Temp are under control at 75c max under an stress test of CineBench (Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240mm AIO)

7. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Mine was the ROG Strix B550-E Gaming.

Even at 25 seconds the fan just ramped up instantly, very annoying.

8. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    It's nice to see there is no need for a K model anymore.

Valken likes this.
  9. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    there still is a difference.
    that said,even the previous gen 10400 was a very,very capable cpu.you'd have no problems using it with a high end card.
    11400 is better,but even the smallest,locked rocket lake sku is guzzling as much power as 5800x in gaming.100w is a lot for this.my 10500 used to hit 77w max with power limits disabled and vcssa/vccio set way above default for ram overclocking.this little rkl can hit +100w in games.It's a steal for 170eur but good grief,even 10700 sips way less power in games.
    still,at 165eur vs 330eur,it smashes 5600x in value.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
  10. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    11400f looks like a champ . Hilbert please review :D

Valken likes this.

11. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Yeah i gree, 11th gen is a failure overall, something to avoid.

I'll see what Alder Lake does.

Atleast i know i don't need a high-end K CPU anymore and i never knew, it's because all review sites only ever review K models. They never bother to review the actual interesting stuff.

12. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Very 10400 like with only memory overclock. Looks like a champ but really isnt and its worth spending more on a 5600x combo i think. If amd had a 5600non x they would easily win this just like the high end.

13. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    Got 11600k a few days back and it gives me nothing but problems.
    Previously with i5 10400 I could go to 4000Mhz CL19 on RAM and now? 3066Mhz is the end (2x16GB kit 3200Mhz)
    GFX card performance goes down a little, under load (Timespy) it shutdown PC even at stock GPU settings.
    It's probably a weak PSU, but could be also failing MB. Can't test it with other MB/PSU unfortunately.
    Guess that switching to 11400/11500 plus new at least 850w platinum PSU will be a better option.
    Or is it a buggy MB bios? I flashed latest one since the day Gigabyte released it.

14. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    You get free mobo in price of 5600X. And 1440p performance is similar at stock. If you play high fps games then 5600X is the choice.
    11400f OC is as bad as it gets. Can draw 200W, and you lose all that good price for electricity bill.

Still in my opinion it is best one of the pack, the one should be recommended, you can't really go bad with it.
    It only misses good mem support, tpu didn't get it to work with 3200....

15. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    what ?
    probably quoting whole system power draw numbers

11400 can draw 100w in gaming when it's unlocked,which is a lot,but 200w ...... maybe when you've got too much voltage applied and are stress testing.I'm not even sure of that.

I'd probably settle for a 85-88w power limit and it'd be fine.65w is leaving too much performance on the table and 105w is just ridicoulous for this

imo this for 170eur,with a reasonable power limit,and it's a great buy.

btw look at 10400 vs 3600.skylake is super efficient for gaming.
    I'm not biting any of these rkl skus.8c Skylake imo is a better buy.You're getting similar performance with better efficiency and a better imc.No pcie4 but you're getting SAM,which good enough.Pcie4 makes hardly any difference even with a 3090.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021

16. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    On memory; I had issues in the initial test phase of RKL, however, the latest BIOS releases solved that extremely well. Be sure to check if you have the very latest BIOS installed. I just installed a 11400F and am running memory SPD perfectly fine.

17. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    what is the max for gear1 ?

I would really,really like to see rkl-s vs. cml-s running max memory speeds.imo it hurts rkl a lot if you can't go above 3600.Best you'll do will be around 3600 c14 oc,and a 4133 c19 kit is faster.
    https://www.purepc.pl/test-pamieci-ddr4-team-group-t-force-xtreem-argb-3600-mhz-cl14?page=0,19

all you're left with on rkl is tigtening timings,while on comet/coffee you're able to look for both optimal speeds and timings.

18. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    I have had installed a latest bios (11th March 2021 date seems old tho, even if it's mention of adding Rocket Lake support) provided by Gigabyte before plugged a RKL CPU in the mobo.
    Anyway I'm gonna switch to B560 motherboard soon and just get I5 11400/11500, K model is not worth the extra cash (IMO).

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
  19. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Another 11400F review compared to 11600K.

Intel is seriourly on to something, it's shame about the power usage really.

Valken and SpajdrEX like this.
  20. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    The fruits of the architecture change in the Rocket Lake line are not going to be seen until the 12 and 13th gen, the changes here are a tick to the coming tock that will implement the rest of the architecture on the intended 10nm node, yes 11th series has an extra execution slot, but it doesn't incorporate all of the icelake architecture improvements because theres just no space for them.

enhanced branch prediction and data hazard blocks, among other early retirement changes will see intel be competitive against themselves in the future.

Dropping 2 cores from the last gen is a necessary step towards optimizing the ring bus going forward as well.